Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
2 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but I just went through the same issue today. I also used a costco battery. I think the previous poster had a good idea, however, these batteries sit in the same air space as the vehicle occupants. My first thought was to get whatever battery would fit. So I started with a normal top post battery.

When I took it out to the car and slid in next to the factory battery I noticed that my factory battery had a tube (which appeared to be a vent) going down the left side of the battery, through a special rubber grommet in the trunk floor and venting the hydrogen gas to the outside of the car.

I don't know how much gas a standard battery off-gasses, but I doubt you want it in the passenger area. My solution was to find a battery that looked like the factory battery, which costco sells. They have a little hole on both the left and right side so you can plug in the old vent hose to the new battery.

the only problem is that the + and - are swapped. I solved this by putting the battery in backward. I had to modify the sheet metal behind the + side. I folded it back so the + cable didn't interfere with the sharp metal edge. I also had to buy a longer negative battery cable. $8 black (- neg battery cable). I replaced the braided factory cable with one about 6 inches longer to get the neg cable to reroute to the same connection point it had before on the trunk floor.

Bottom line, it worked great, i kept the hydrogen venting, and the replacement negative cable was cheap. $8 at napa. Now the car takes an off the shelf battery and maintains the safety feature of the gas vent. It took me about three hours but it saved close to $200!

I know this would be better with pics. I'll try to add some so the next person who finds this may be helped by the thread like I was.

-OA

·
Registered
10 Posts
I realize this is an old post, but I just went through the same issue today. I also used a costco battery. I think the previous poster had a good idea, however, these batteries sit in the same air space as the vehicle occupants. My first thought was to get whatever battery would fit. So I started with a normal top post battery.

When I took it out to the car and slid in next to the factory battery I noticed that my factory battery had a tube (which appeared to be a vent) going down the left side of the battery, through a special rubber grommet in the trunk floor and venting the hydrogen gas to the outside of the car.

I don't know how much gas a standard battery off-gasses, but I doubt you want it in the passenger area. My solution was to find a battery that looked like the factory battery, which costco sells. They have a little hole on both the left and right side so you can plug in the old vent hose to the new battery.

the only problem is that the + and - are swapped. I solved this by putting the battery in backward. I had to modify the sheet metal behind the + side. I folded it back so the + cable didn't interfere with the sharp metal edge. I also had to buy a longer negative battery cable. $8 black (- neg battery cable). I replaced the braided factory cable with one about 6 inches longer to get the neg cable to reroute to the same connection point it had before on the trunk floor.

Bottom line, it worked great, i kept the hydrogen venting, and the replacement negative cable was cheap. $8 at napa. Now the car takes an off the shelf battery and maintains the safety feature of the gas vent. It took me about three hours but it saved close to $200!

I know this would be better with pics. I'll try to add some so the next person who finds this may be helped by the thread like I was.

-Oa

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going through this **** right now with my 2012. I am not very handy and all this talk about venting hydrogen is scaring me. can you post some pics when you get the time.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima Hybrid
12 Posts
Just came across this post because my 2013 ex hybrid's 12v battery just died (RIP after 7 years, not bad!). After a lot of research, from internet searches on forums like this, calling around to various dealers and parts stores, and even talking to some custom battery shops that know a TON about batteries, I'm here to share what I have learned:
  • everyone you talk to will tell you that your hybrid needs a AGM battery. THIS IS WRONG. The OEM battery that my car came with which says Rocket on the outside is a normal wet cell vented battery. You can tell this by tilting the battery slightly and hearing the slosh. If it were AGM it would be a dry cell and you'd hear no sloshing.
  • if you're still convinced you need an AGM battery, good luck! Several experts I talked to said that size and reverse poles needed is very very rare, and one guy I talked to said that's the first one he's ever seen after 20 years of recycling batteries.
  • I would stay away from the walmart or costco one that just "fits" because it is not vented. Because your hybrid will tend to over-charge, and that releases a tiny bit of gas, you definitely want a battery that vents the gas to the outside of the car.
  • And now the good news, here is the battery I found which is an EXACT FIT to the OEM battery, and looks almost identical (see picture of my old and new side by side). It even has the same venting outlet that fits the hose nozzle the old battery used. I installed it yesterday and everything is working great. It's the Die Hard Gold H6R, 600 CCA. I got mine at Advance Auto parts for $140 after core exchange and 20% off coupon from the website. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/diehard-gold-battery-group-size-h6r-600-cca-h6r/11764085-P

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that brother... about our hybrid 12v battery, i think when the battery died you cannot jump it with out taking all the wires off, i think they need to unplug everything then hook another battery if we want to jump it off, they said hybrid 12v battery cannot be jump as it is coz it might damage the system for the hybrid or electric power.. well i got that info while working at autozone and having 2 hybrid cars before..

**** that battery is way higher than the kia dealership over here, the factory battery they quoted me was like $310 tax included but still i dont have that money so i went to walmart and measured all batteries :lol:
Hello you guys.. Im New here... Was looking for insight to a situation I have with my 2013 optima hybrid BUT CAME ACROSS THIS TOPIC AND COMMENT. ... Wanted to share my experince

Ive owned my 2013 kia optima hybrid since 2014.. 85,500 miles on her. Lightly driven but it gets used plenty... Shes my beaut. Lol.. Still love her astethics. .

So what I wanted to share was this. For trivial reasons ive experinced a dead battery at times ( too cold outside ( chicago ).. Left a light on... ) and ive always gave it a boost the same way I would any traditional car. .. ( a KIA service employee told me its fine so I tried.. It worked !!... This is literally 6 to 7 yrs ago ) This has happened many times thruout last 7 yrs. Too many to count. Boosted my car today!!!!.

I have No problems with the high voltage hybrid battery. I know because I paid for a diagnostic of my batteries at KIA SERVICE 2 days ago. I was told all is well with my high volatge battery but my 12 volt battery NEEDS TO BE CHANGED.. All in all.. Close to $400 dollars.. $290 for battery.. $80 for labor... I contested the labor n they fed me the complexity of changing out this specific hybrid battery. ..

Autozone has it for $170

So heres my question you guys ..

Can a 12 vt battery be replaced by an average joe?... As in the same as switiching out a regualr battery on a car ?.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. !!!!!!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts