Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, after owning my 2012 Hybrid for 4yrs my 12v car battery just died on me, since i dont want to spend $300+ on a same battery from the dealership i went to Walmart and searched for the closest to the original size of the battery with the same side of the positive and negative post.

The battery is a bit smaller so i put a rubber by the battery hold down.
Aside from that everything looks fine.
Hope this helps!!!

Price:
$105 = Walmart
$295 = Dealership

Warranty:
5yrs Warranty = Walmart (3yrs free replacement and 2yrs prorate)
2yrs Warranty = Dealership (1yr free replacement and 1yr prorate)

CCA:
660cca = Walmart
600cca = Dealership

Also when my battery died i cant open the trunk! tried to pull the string cable just beside the headrest on the back seat but didnt work so i grab a long stick and reached that green tab inside the trunk... what a pain in the Butt..

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
**** TripleK, 4 yrs for your stock battery are very good in my book lol. I thought I was one of the lucky one because my battery lasted 3 yrs, for the price you can't go wrong especially the cranking amp are more and more importantly almost half price off with better warranty. I guess it pays off to search for the right battery so job well done brother :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
You should have checked out Costco if they have one out where you live.

I got my battery replacement from there and they also give you a killer warranty on it too.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**** TripleK, 4 yrs for your stock battery are very good in my book lol. I thought I was one of the lucky one because my battery lasted 3 yrs, for the price you can't go wrong especially the cranking amp are more and more importantly almost half price off with better warranty. I guess it pays off to search for the right battery so job well done brother :)
Thanks man! I wasnt waiting for it but i somehow knew that soon its going to be dead. haha! yeah little higher CCA and wayyyy cheaper from the dealership, need to save money coz air bag struggle is real! Lol :lol:

You should have checked out Costco if they have one out where you live.
I got my battery replacement from there and they also give you a killer warranty on it too.
Yeah we have one but im not a member :lol: Wife does coupon thing and its a lot cheaper so yeah sir david :D

·
Registered
2015 Optima Hybrid EX
33 Posts
Also when my battery died i cant open the trunk! tried to pull the string cable just beside the headrest on the back seat but didnt work so i grab a long stick and reached that green tab inside the trunk... what a pain in the Butt..
I never thought about this since I've never had a car with the battery in the trunk. I'll have to keep this in mind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I never thought about this since I've never had a car with the battery in the trunk. I'll have to keep this in mind.
Yeah me too! i was close in calling the dealership of having the car towed coz i tried so many time and took me about 30mins to open the trunk using that green tab thingy..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Doesn't Optima have a keyhole for the trunk near the license like my Sonata? I had to use my key to open the trunk when my 12V battery died.
You have to bend down and look up to see it under the lip of the trunk.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Doesn't Optima have a keyhole for the trunk near the license like my Sonata? I had to use my key to open the trunk when my 12V battery died.

You have a keyhole? I'm going to have to look at this. I don't think there is one on the Optima though...

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

No sir, we dont have that on the 2011-2013 optima. we have the pull cable at the rear passenger headrest though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
2013 Optima Hybrid 44,219 miles - get the "Check Charging System" Warning icon in the middle display with a red battery indicator below. First time either came up. I was actually heading out of town for my daughters wedding and thought, well I will just take to dealer and have them look at it while I'm gone and drive my other car (2015 Hyundai Sonata - Gas) to Austin.

I got about 4 miles down then road and noticed when I tried to slow down, the brakes were causing the car to jerk front to back and when I accelerated after that, it did it even more. I got about 1/2 mile further and got in left turn lane, but had to Stop. That's when it DIED. Could not restart. Display indicators and radio/nav flashed on/off.

Well, I couldn't push it out of the way as the wheel wouldn't turn in neutral. So I had to call a tow truck to get it to the dealer.

These are the things they DON"T tell you when you buy a hybrid. I was in no mood (it was over 90 degrees outside) and didn't want to try to jump the 12v battery on a hybrid (unsure of it vs. traditional set up).

Tow cost me $223 as the Drive Sure Benefit tow company never showed (waited over 90 minutes).

Then the real shock came when the dealer told me the battery was about $385! I looked on line at many sources and they didn't even show a battery for the hybrid. Checked other Kia parts stores and found the same price.

Check - Mate.... All is well now but I spent about $650 total to replace what would normally be a $100 battery.

Bye bye gas savings (yea + gas is now $1.75/gal here)....lesson learned....still love the ride & drive but this was a COLD SHOWER!

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These are the things they DON"T tell you when you buy a hybrid. I was in no mood (it was over 90 degrees outside) and didn't want to try to jump the 12v battery on a hybrid (unsure of it vs. traditional set up).

Tow cost me $223 as the Drive Sure Benefit tow company never showed (waited over 90 minutes).

Then the real shock came when the dealer told me the battery was about $385! I looked on line at many sources and they didn't even show a battery for the hybrid. Checked other Kia parts stores and found the same price.

Check - Mate.... All is well now but I spent about $650 total to replace what would normally be a $100 battery.
Ouch, sorry to hear that brother... about our hybrid 12v battery, i think when the battery died you cannot jump it with out taking all the wires off, i think they need to unplug everything then hook another battery if we want to jump it off, they said hybrid 12v battery cannot be jump as it is coz it might damage the system for the hybrid or electric power.. well i got that info while working at autozone and having 2 hybrid cars before..

**** that battery is way higher than the kia dealership over here, the factory battery they quoted me was like $310 tax included but still i dont have that money so i went to walmart and measured all batteries :lol:

·
Registered
126 Posts
No problem jump starting my HSH without removing any wires 4 years ago. But when I tried to start it the next day it was dead again. These hybrids need a slow overnight charge to hold a charge.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem jump starting my HSH without removing any wires 4 years ago. But when I tried to start it the next day it was dead again. These hybrids need a slow overnight charge to hold a charge.
Im not 100% sure but i think the factory Optima Hybrid Battery is a gel type like the Optima Red Top and Yellow Top Batteries, and those type of batteries needed to be in slow charge. Also when my battery died i tried to jump it and dash flickered a lot and played a weird sound so i didnt do it again and bought a new battery.

·
Registered
2013 Optima
211 Posts
I believe it's also a deep cycle battery, one more immune to the effects of deep discharge because of the way the hybrid treats the battery...

I am kind of surprised that it's not our Canadian friends, or **** even me here in -30/90 °F MN, that are having more problems with the AUX 12V battery.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima Hybrid
2 Posts
hello can you advise if the battery you purchase from Walmart was the wet battery and did you have any issues after using it for a few months? I got one from Walmart same as in your picture but its a wet battery and I'm afraid to use it because someone is saying its not safe that its a wet battery and should be dry or gel type battery?

·
Registered
2013 Optima
211 Posts
hello can you advise if the battery you purchase from Walmart was the wet battery and did you have any issues after using it for a few months? I got one from Walmart same as in your picture but its a wet battery and I'm afraid to use it because someone is saying its not safe that its a wet battery and should be dry or gel type battery?
No one has been able to determine if it is in fact a 'special' battery. I would just keep an eye on it, it's pretty easy to access.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Battery just died on my wife's 2013. Chatted with local Kia parts department. Was told this battery is out of production! Parts guy didn't know if they were having issues, or if they plan a replacement. 3 hours later, I found one at Advance Auto. Proper size, it even had the hole for the overflow tube $160, and they installed it (it was 20 below wind chills). Driving the car from WI to FL in two days, didn't have time to mess around. I was about to ask dealer what car they were going to give me if no replacement battery is available!

·
Registered
17 Posts
They have changed a bit, the Size 34 Basic is 600 CCA and the upgraded one is 800 and $20 more. I plan on selling my car next year so I bought the cheap one. Much cheaper than any dealer option.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts