Kia Optima Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,080 Posts
Wow, that doesn’t sound too terrible. Thank you for the info!
At least if it's a running vehicle it will have some value to sell, etc.
If you do get it running and indeed need new rear brakes, take it to a trusted/recommended independent shop..
They'll throw rotors/pads on for 1/2 that price. Too bad you don't know someone that could do the install, as the parts, rotor, pads, shims, <$90, but your car does have electronic parking brake. Same as the cabin filter, $10, easy installation.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
13 Posts
BLKoptimaSXL:
Code or no codes, the engine doesn't show the characterisrics of bearing degradation from cylinder wall debris, so I still say you're out of luck.

BriannaKiaOptima2013:
Too bad you're in CA about 3000 miles from me, so can't be of much help.
I'd forget about the ridiculous price for the cabin filter and brake job, but look for a used engine.
One in Huntington Beach, 29000 miles, $2199, no turbo engine only or San Diego, 67000 miles with turbo, $2200, Fontana 25000 miles $2250 complete. Some yards do installations, but if not they would know a shop that does. Not a big job, maybe 8-10 hours, they drop the entire subframe, engine, tires, axles, etc all together. Labor gestimate $800-$1000.
I get what you're saying now. Kia called me this morning (Eastern Regional Manager) and with some serious attitude basically told me I have no case whatsoever. Y'all were right on the money I just don't give up easy... I can't, I'm just a "kid" in grad school with no income... Dealership est $5500 for reman or used engine... Did some digging in other shops and got an est for 71k miles $3500ish. @Turbonut where do you find those prices? Any suggestions in the Pittsburgh area by chance? Or could you point me in the direction to do some digging of my own? I'm debating what to do with the car. Scrap, sell, or rebuild but no good solution at all. Who knows if the tranny etc will go out in a thousand miles... btw the piston can't "just be replaced" like I was hoping because of any metal shavings downstream knocked off from the incident. Still, to me, doesn't explain all the electrical misfires/flashings when the car died...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I get what you're saying now. Kia called me this morning (Eastern Regional Manager) and with some serious attitude basically told me I have no case whatsoever. Y'all were right on the money I just don't give up easy... I can't, I'm just a "kid" in grad school with no income... Dealership est $5500 for reman or used engine... Did some digging in other shops and got an est for 71k miles $3500ish. @Turbonut where do you find those prices? Any suggestions in the Pittsburgh area by chance? Or could you point me in the direction to do some digging of my own? I'm debating what to do with the car. Scrap, sell, or rebuild but no good solution at all. Who knows if the tranny etc will go out in a thousand miles... btw the piston can't "just be replaced" like I was hoping because of any metal shavings downstream knocked off from the incident. Still, to me, doesn't explain all the electrical misfires/flashings when the car died...
****, I hate to hear that. I can only expect they are going to say the same thing to me. It’s been nearly two weeks already and I feel like it doesn’t take that long to tell people good news.

I hope something works out for you, and best of luck in grad school. Don’t let this break your stride!

I am thinking of posting mine for sale on craigslist for $3,899 as is. If I can get $3500 out of it and not have to invest anything back into it, I’ll be content with that. I will look into some used engines and try to get some quotes just to be through, but I am afraid that something else will fall apart and lead to an even worse loss.

All I know is this is my LAST KIA, it was fun while the illusion lasted.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,080 Posts
I am thinking of posting mine for sale on craigslist for $3,899 as is. If I can get $3500 out of it and not have to invest anything back into it, I’ll be content with that. I will look into some used engines and try to get some quotes just to be through, but I am afraid that something else will fall apart and lead to an even worse loss.
Better to fix the car, as the price on that car w/o a running engine, I'd say maybe $1500, if you're lucky, at least that's what I would pay if your lucky. With a private price of @ $8000, somebody's not going to pay $3900 when it needs $6000+ worth of work without being able to drive and be able to check other equipment.
I purchased the '11 EX 2.0T will all options, panoramic roof, nav, heated wheel, SWP etc, $7800, 108,000 miles 2016, excellent condition, but did need tires..

Any suggestions in the Pittsburgh area by chance?
Did you check the plug number that they installed?
Depending on cylinder wall damage, that would determine if piston could be replaced. Son just replaced a piston and head on a Jeep as a valve broke and did some damage.
Pittsburgh, great area, visited 6x/year when working at USS-Fairless.
Try this:
www.car-part.com
If you were closer, I'd recommend Al's, as they sell and install engines.

Good luck to both of you

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Sorry to say, this particular problem is unlike and engine seizure as a piston was damaged probably by the spark plug, and should be glad the turbo wasn't damaged. There have been quite a few that have had spark plugs break and do considerable damage, and not all engine problems will fall under the extended warranty, only bearing problems.

Brianna's case is the ideal example of a warranty claim as the engine is seized, probably bearing degradation which should be a cut and dried case.

Good luck to you, but believe it will be an uphill battle with no positive ending.
I do not understand why all these seized engines are getting denied. It clearly states i. The settlement the entire short block assembly is covered for life if the KSDS update has beem done. It also says lifetime warranty on class vehicles foe powertrain. 2011-2018 and some 2019 Optimas are covered.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
****, I hate to hear that. I can only expect they are going to say the same thing to me. It’s been nearly two weeks already and I feel like it doesn’t take that long to tell people good news.

I hope something works out for you, and best of luck in grad school. Don’t let this break your stride!

The settlement clearly states the entire short block assembly is covered for LIFE if KSDS done. Kia is giving all of us the bird ..

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Now seeing that the engine is not seized, just a major engine problem, I can see why they are being combative. Seems as though there have been a rash of major engine problems, not related to the bearing/oil issue.

Don't have any encouraging words, but rather than spend $7500, take a look at some alternatives:
used engines @ $2500 + installation. Engine warranty, but if bad they won't cover labor unless done at the selling yard.
remanufaured @ $4,000 + installation and some come with a 1 year engine & labor warranty

Haven't asked before boy or girl?

Good luck and keep us informed.
and yet they replaced yours just for burning oil and this poor woman they will do nothing for... See my point.. Not your fault. I am happy for you they replaced your engine as they should of.. But Kia is not standing behind the settlement and leaving people with major losses!! Despicable!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
13 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding how my vehicle doesn't fall under this settlement. Clarification appreciated... am I missing something??

"Money you spent on certain Class Vehicle repairs will be reimbursed in full, and in certain instances, you may receive an additional $140 goodwill payment and/or inconvenience payment based on the following requirements:
  1. Date of Repairs
    • Any Qualifying Repairs completed prior to 90 days following the Final Approval Order.
  2. Types of “Qualifying Repairs”
    • Any repair to the engine short block assembly, which includes the engine block, crankshaft and bearings, connecting rods and bearings, and pistons.
    • Repairs to any other components (such as the long block assembly, battery, or starter) if paperwork shows the work was an attempt to address (i) engine seizure, (ii) engine stalling, (iii) engine noise, or (iv) illumination of the oil lamp. (Repair costs will not be reimbursed if the paperwork reflects that the repairs were plainly unrelated to the short block assembly).
    • It does not include repairs caused by a collision involving a Class Vehicle, unless the collision was directly caused by a Class Vehicle failure otherwise subject to a Qualifying Repair, such as an engine fire.
From what I understand, this would mean that "any" repair to the engine short block assembly (piston, total replacement of engine) will be reimbursed? Additionally, it sounds like any previous maintenance is not being considered in this settlement. If this is the case, then i could potentially purchase a reman engine (dealer quote at $5500 +/-) and submit a claim that will be granted?

I'm posting here because if it applies to me, I'd imagine this could apply to BriannaKiaOptima2013 as well?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,080 Posts
What was the reason the piston was destroyed? From broken spark plug, not
from a manufacturing defect of any component within the shortblock.

If you still believe it to be part of the recall, go for it and let us know how you made out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If all updates have been done, the engine should be covered, but it seems as Kia/Hyundai has begun giving customers a difficult
time when engine problems arise. There is absolutely nothing stating that the KSDS code P1326 must be in history to guarantee
engine replacement, as that was only installed to ensure that if/when a knock was detected it would limit engine performance to
2000 rpm, and allow the driver to get to the dealership before the engine seized, but in reality, it doesn't always work as planned.
Only advice I can give, is that there should be no goodwill repair asked for, but be stern with Kia and tell them if they deny the recall,
you'll get NHTSA involved 1-888-327-4236, or maybe try NHTSA first.
Ask Kia to show you where, in the settlement, the CEL code P1326 is mandatory before the seized engine is replaced.
All that needs to be done is to have the KSDS update.

This is quite an about face for Kia, as in 2019 when I had the engine problems with the '11 2.0T, they were more than helpful and
replacement engine was done quickly.

Just one item, the car doesn't have a timing belt, so they probably replaced the serpentine belt. not a big deal, but wanted
clarification in case you use the info in the future.

Just wanted to add that I'd stay away from the goodwill repair as that would allow Kia to say they'll help with 50%(example) when
it should cost you nothing, as well as supplying a free loner car.

Also, the dealership leaves a lot to be desired, as having a loyal customer there was no reason to even bring up the CEL, they
should have just stated that the engine seized. Another stealership to steer clear of! Actually, I haven't found one yet that I would
recommend, and that's with dealing with 4. The only one that was decent, went out of business, so guess it pays to be dishonest
and put it to the customers, then they'll stay in business.

Keep us posted.
This actually happened to my Kia about 2 weeks ago. Car wouldn’t go above 2000 rpms and CEL was blinking. I managed to get approved for a new engine from Kia. I should be getting my K5 today. Issue occurred twice to me. I took it to CarMax the first time, and they explained that they didn’t have the tools to fix the problem. Kia also gave me a rental from hertz freee of charge

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
13 Posts
What was the reason the piston was destroyed? From broken spark plug, not
from a manufacturing defect of any component within the shortblock.

If you still believe it to be part of the recall, go for it and let us know how you made out.
I'm getting it from the dealership in writing, but they're saying it's NOT because of the spark plug failure, but from piston damage/overheating. Spark plug issue was caused, from what I understand, from the piston failure.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
13 Posts
This actually happened to my Kia about 2 weeks ago. Car wouldn’t go above 2000 rpms and CEL was blinking. I managed to get approved for a new engine from Kia. I should be getting my K5 today. Issue occurred twice to me. I took it to CarMax the first time, and they explained that they didn’t have the tools to fix the problem. Kia also gave me a rental from hertz freee of charge
YSLK5 could you say a little more about what happened/how you got a new engine out of it? Vehicle specs, miles, year etc? What did the dealership say the problem was?

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,080 Posts
I'm getting it from the dealership in writing, but they're saying it's NOT because of the spark plug failure, but from piston damage/overheating. Spark plug issue was caused, from what I understand, from the piston failure.
If the spark plug broke because of piston damage, it would be the first that I've heard of with any engine.
I asked twice before, did you check the number of the spark plugs they installed to be certain they were the correct heat range etc?

YSLK5 had the classic symptoms of a bottom end problem. When the KSDS "hears" the bearing knock, the CEL flashes and
the car goes into limp mode with 2000 max rpm. Should be covered by the lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
13 Ebony SXL Turbo Touring & Tech Pkgs: Original Everything 195K Drag wheels
440 Posts
overheating...
This is the cause of all your engine's problems. Overheating an engine quickly leads to damaged/warped heads, sometimes pistons and on and on. Regrettably, Kia won't cover overheating unless within the original warranty period.

As others said either rebuild that engine, swap for another or part out the remainder of the car.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima SXL
13 Posts
If the spark plug broke because of piston damage, it would be the first that I've heard of with any engine.
I asked twice before, did you check the number of the spark plugs they installed to be certain they were the correct heat range etc?

YSLK5 had the classic symptoms of a bottom end problem. When the KSDS "hears" the bearing knock, the CEL flashes and
the car goes into limp mode with 2000 max rpm. Should be covered by the lifetime warranty.
Like i said, I'm working on getting it in writing (piston failure). Just going off what the dealership says, I haven't seen it for myself NOR do I claim to be an expert by any means. Also working on getting the spark plug numbers you're asking for, will post as soon as I get them! (Dealership has been lagging) Also from what I understand, the piston was already damaged when I took it in. I say this 1/ bc thats what they claim and 2/ because they replaced all 4 plugs, and number 3 was the only cyl that's damaged. To me that logic holds but would like to see what you think. Will press again for spark plug specs.

Also, in regards to YSLK5's issue, what exactly (for you) is indicating that this is "classic symptoms of a bottom end problem" based on what he/she has said so far? (also have read other posts) If I'm reading it correctly, on the day the car died it's exactly what happened to me-symptom wise. CEL dash flashing, car to limp mode... did the car throw the 1326 code?

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
69 Posts
Like i said, I'm working on getting it in writing (piston failure). Just going off what the dealership says, I haven't seen it for myself NOR do I claim to be an expert by any means. Also working on getting the spark plug numbers you're asking for, will post as soon as I get them! (Dealership has been lagging) Also from what I understand, the piston was already damaged when I took it in. I say this 1/ bc thats what they claim and 2/ because they replaced all 4 plugs, and number 3 was the only cyl that's damaged. To me that logic holds but would like to see what you think. Will press again for spark plug specs.

Also, in regards to YSLK5's issue, what exactly (for you) is indicating that this is "classic symptoms of a bottom end problem" based on what he/she has said so far? (also have read other posts) If I'm reading it correctly, on the day the car died it's exactly what happened to me-symptom wise. CEL dash flashing, car to limp mode... did the car throw the 1326 code?
If they replaced the spark plugs they should be liable for one breaking off.. Kia should be ashamed of themselves..

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,080 Posts
Also working on getting the spark plug numbers you're asking for, will post as soon as I get them! (Dealership has been lagging)
Realize you're grasping for straws as no one wants to shell out a large sum of money for anything, but a car repair is probably the most infuriating.
Having been around cars my entire life, interacting with dealerships, service centers, garages, used car dealers, etc, don't want to be too negative, but asking the dealer for the spark plug number is like playing Russian roulette with a full chamber. They aren't as dumb as they appear, and when one asks about something that possibly has caused engine damage, think they will give a reliable answer, and as they have the car there will be no contradiction of the answer you receive.

That is why I asked to view the invoice to check the number. If the invoice is not in hand, ask the dealership for a copy without them knowing the reason behind the request.

Certainly hope that the the situation changes in your favor, but keep us informed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I was until this last Sunday a proud owner of a 2013 Kia Optima SXL.

On Sunday the engine seized suddenly while on the highway and I am left with a $7500 quote for a needed engine replacement and a dealership that says the issue isn’t covered by the settlements Lifetime warranty because the engine is not “knocking” and the code P1326 is not showing up.

I had the car towed to the dealership which I usually get service done at on Sunday, and they were not able to give me a diagnosis until Tuesday (yesterday). I have not been to the dealership yet because my work shift starts and ends outside of their business hours. I have not even seen the paperwork from the diagnosis, even though I requested it be emailed to me.

The explanation I got over the phone for what happened was: “a misfire breaking away at the value.”

I don’t know what this means. I also do not understand why engine seizure would not be covered but “knocking“ would be covered.

I am attaching a photo of the settlements description of the warranty. Can anyone illuminate this situation for me? Am I covered?

I spoke to Kia Corporate to ask for good will assurance. I am not optimistic that they are even interested in paying for this.

Background info: I am the only owner, I’ve never skipped maintenance in any fashion and I have only completed maintenance at the dealership. Less than 9 weeks ago I replaced the timing belt and spark plugs.

I have a 2013 Kia Optima SXL with130,009 miles.

I feel so stressed because this is my only car and I am pregnant this is a huge burden and challenge I was not expecting. Any insight will be so helpful, thanks in advance.

Link to the info I posted: Kia Engine Settlement

View attachment 249648
Hey! Hoping your situation ended well. Literally in the same boat today. Somehow never got notice about the KSDS update and last week the engine seized. Of course we just paid the last note in August🤌🏽😩 it’s a 2015, 138,000. I was considering the goodwill approach too but had the same concerns as you. This too is our only car and a real burden right now. Any update or advice you have would be so great.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts