Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

(I don't believe there is any possible way to securely fasten the license plate to the windshield.) :unsure:
Well that certainly doesn't say it needs to be on the bumper OR that it cant be in the windshield, how about some suction cups? That would do the trick according to that.

·
Registered
2018 kia optima LX
34 Posts
here in pa not required but girlfriend wants to mount her bischon dog plate, seem lots for 11 to 13's even some OE'S but hers is an 18 and wondering about fitment. my local stealer can order one but $32 and not sure about fitment or if i can refuse a special order without cost, any help appreciated

·
Registered
2018 kia optima LX
34 Posts
received the front plate mount listed for a 2013 optima, it fits the bumper contour of girlfriends 2018 perfectly!! kia OE part # is 86519 2T100 + comes with 3 screws to mount on car as its the plate mount with 3 holes in it. not yet mounted but prolly after girlfriends trip next week. got mine on e-bay $13.93 delivered from spark plug surplus

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
677 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that the mount will fit on a 2018! One thing though, at least in my case--if indeed it requires 3 screws to mount it, then I would need to drill a third hole since my bumper already has the two pre-drilled holes spaced appropriately for the license plate. Speaking of which--do you know if the two outer holes of the plate mount are spaced the same as the holes on the license plate itself? Because if not, then I'd have to drill at least two *new* holes into the bumper...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
677 Posts
LOL I looked up the product myself--based on the hole placements in the product picture, looks like I may need to drill three *new* holes to mount the bracket to my bumper.

·
Registered
2018 kia optima LX
34 Posts
the indents near the top match the plate holes + can be used to locate the other 3 holes used to mount the plate holder. as noted plate mount screws included in my OE E-bay purchase. seems the hex head screws used to mount rear plates are also used on the front. just look at older optimas either on the street or a car dealer with a front plate mounted. when you have the plate mount in hand it will be clear where it goes

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
677 Posts
the indents near the top match the plate holes + can be used to locate the other 3 holes used to mount the plate holder. as noted plate mount screws included in my OE E-bay purchase. seems the hex head screws used to mount rear plates are also used on the front. just look at older optimas either on the street or a car dealer with a front plate mounted. when you have the plate mount in hand it will be clear where it goes
I see the indents (2 of them on each side) you're talking about; however, I would still need to drill at least two *new* holes into the front bumper for mounting the plate holder itself since the mount holes are spaced wider than the plate holes. I suppose nobody will care that there are existing holes in the bumper where the plate was directly mounted to since they'd be *hidden* by the plate holder but still...guess I'm just a stickler for not wanting too many holes drilled into the bumper, but at the same time I wouldn't completely dismiss using the mount since if anything else it'll help minimize the plate directly rubbing against the bumper and causing scratches and whatnot. However, the lowest they're currently going for on eBay new is $20...

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
365 Posts
I went with a magnetic trick for mine... I hid a magnet inside the front bumper, and put a corresponding one in the license plate bracket. I almost never have it attached, but can snap it into place when it's time to get the car inspected.

You can pick up rare earth magnets on Amazon for very cheap, and after that it's your choice how you install them.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,434 Posts
We do have a solution for the front license plate, but it's a bit pricey. (We do not set pricing, it is set by the manufacturer)

Description:
Our quick-release removable front license plate bracket is custom designed for Kia Vehicles and aimed squarely at those vehicle owners (like me) who cringe at the thought of drilling holes in their beautiful front bumper, detest the idea of a clunky plastic factory front plate platform, but also prefer to be upstanding law-abiding citizens most of the time…

Engineered in lightweight anodized aluminum, this simple quick-release bracket allows you to drive in full compliance but also to remove the front license plate quickly and easily for car washes, show, or when parking in a questionable area (out in the boonies, to avoid door dings, of course)

Here are some pictures of the product and the hardware included with it. The price is $95 shipped anywhere in the Continental United States.

This product is not yet listed on our website, but if you would like to order it, just send me over an email to [email protected]

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
677 Posts
Ok so I finally pulled the trigger on buying the OEM front license plate mount, P/N 86519-2T100; it came with the three screws that are used to secure the mount to the front bumper. I chose to not use these screws because it's one thing to already have two holes in the front bumper; I certainly don't want to add three more holes to it. Sure I run the risk of losing both my front plate AND the mount if I use just the two license plate screws to secure both front plate and mount but IMHO the risk of that happening is relatively low.

In any case after installing it I can tell you that this particular mount was definitely not designed for use on a 2018 SXL bumper (with the adaptive cruise control package)--it doesn't fit 100% as the mount doesn't 100% follow the contour of the front bumper (there is a roughly 2mm gap on both sides between the mount and bumper surface when viewing the mount from above) and the lower part of the mount "hangs" over the lower grill opening; what I mean by that is that the two bottom tabs on the license plate mount don't grab/latch onto any part of the bumper/grill.

I will say that despite these shortcomings the mount will more or less work just fine--from the front you can't tell that it's not meant for a 2018 SXL front bumper but if you're one of those OCD folks then you may want to pass on using this mount...but at the same time I am not saying that the mount won't work on a 2018 SX or EX bumper that doesn't have the Adaptive Cruise Control package, especially since at least one person above noted that it fits perfectly on his GF's 2018 Optima.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts