Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being in TX we are required to put our license plate in front. I am looking for a temporary way to put the plate mount without making holes on my bumper. I will register my car in KS after the TX tag runs out and KS don't have front plates. What can I use to temporary mount it without messing up the paint. 2-sided tape? 3M emblem badge adhesive? Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It depends on the dealership I assume. Also, I kno alot of people that comes to TX to buy vehicles, maybe cuz it's cheaper than their state/home town. I am glad mine didn't get pre mounted. I would not want holes in my bumper when I remove the plate mount.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My car already had the front license plate holder installed. Why would they sell the cars without them in TX if they are required?
The car doesn't have it put on from the factory. If you get your car right of the truck you can request or before the dealer has a chance to add anything you can request they don't put a front mount on.

I'm almost positive the law (at least in TX) is a front plate must be visible. Which means you can put it in the front windshield if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After doing some research I think I've decided to use the 3M molding tape to temporary put on the license plate holder. It says it holds on tight with moisture and humidity resistance. But removing the stickyness from the tape afterward is a pain in the buttocks!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
here in california, you can get a ticket for having the plates on the windshield. i got a ticket for that, and he said that is a danger to the passenger, that if you get rear ended that it can pop out and hurt the passenger. and stated that california laws requires that it has to be mounted on front of the car somewhere.

california law suck~!!!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
1,567 Posts
My buddy is a dealer for the Show and Go Retractable license plate holders. He has the motorized ones on his CTS-V and his Z06.

·
Registered
221 Posts
here in california, you can get a ticket for having the plates on the windshield. i got a ticket for that, and he said that is a danger to the passenger, that if you get rear ended that it can pop out and hurt the passenger. and stated that california laws requires that it has to be mounted on front of the car somewhere.

california law suck~!!!
Not sure if the law has changed, but my neighbor was a police officer and he told us when we were younger, that if its secured to the windshield, its legal, you cant just toss it on the dash or stuff it in the corner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I was a cop in CA from 1975 on for 25 years and that was never the law during that time and the law has not changed since.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm almost positive the law (at least in TX) is a front plate must be visible. Which means you can put it in the front windshield if you really wanted to.
I would be careful with this...the law is the same in Oregon and I almost got a ticket on a previous car for having it in the front windshield...the cop even thought i had just put it in the windshield after he pulled me over...he also told me that the only reason he didnt give me a ticket was because his shift was over in a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I was a cop in CA from 1975 on for 25 years and that was never the law during that time and the law has not changed since.
V C Section 5201 Positioning of Plates

Positioning of Plates

5201. License plates shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible. The rear license plate shall be mounted not less than 12 inches nor more than 60 inches from the ground, and the front license plate shall be mounted not more than 60 inches from the ground.

(I don't believe there is any possible way to securely fasten the license plate to the windshield.) :unsure:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts