Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the write up! Just did this myself, easy and good looking mod.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thanks for the DIY write up! Great detailed pics too! Saved me some time trying to figure out how I would get my hand in there. Quick search and ur DIY pulled. Thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Much appreciated guys! Glad I was able to help. Keep up the modding :) Any other questions you guys have or anything else you'd like to add, please post and let me know.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
redturbo12 said:
Much appreciated guys! Glad I was able to help. Keep up the modding :) Any other questions you guys have or anything else you'd like to add, please post and let me know.

Followed this today for a flawless install of backup LEDs!!! Went ahead and installed some license plate LEDs too... Those black plastic screws can be a PITA sometimes!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wanted to also say thanks for the write up. The details and pics made it very easy.

I had the license plate lights I had gotten free from Jasper in a "pass it forward" and the back up lights I bought from David at K5 Optima.

I have to admit I did the the back up lights first and was underwhelmed at the light, till I started to do the plate lights and thought, no Frickin way are these big a$$ bulbs fitting in there. Then brightness here sees the light and puts the correct bulbs in the tail lights.:blink: Duh!

The back up lights make a big difference with the back up camera and the plate lights look a lot cleaner. Thanks again for the great instructions.

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wanted to also say thanks for the write up. The details and pics made it very easy.

I had the license plate lights I had gotten free from Jasper in a "pass it forward" and the back up lights I bought from David at K5 Optima.

I have to admit I did the the back up lights first and was underwhelmed at the light, till I started to do the plate lights and thought, no Frickin way are these big a$$ bulbs fitting in there. Then brightness here sees the light and puts the correct bulbs in the tail lights.:blink: Duh!

The back up lights make a big difference with the back up camera and the plate lights look a lot cleaner. Thanks again for the great instructions.
Thanks Wino-Blues!
They really do make quite a difference! Glad you had a successful install! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks Wino-Blues!
They really do make quite a difference! Glad you had a successful install! :)
Yeah once I once I put the correct lights in the right spot. I showed my wife when I had the license plate lights in the back up lights and she gave me that "Ah, yeah looks good" look.

I am thinking about trying to do the LED reflectors and fog lights next.

Thanks again,

Lee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the white up! Without it I probably have to spend another hour to figure out how our human fingers can reach to the bulb without removing the back light housing.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima 2014 SX Turbo SWP
5 Posts
I can't speak for pre-'14 models, but on my '14 SX, when I took off the felt lid liner, I was able to access the reverse bulbs without having to remove the entire light housing. Just turned the sockets counter-clockwise, swapped bulbs, and put everything back together. Hope this might help save time for some of you. And the lights are ****! Thanks K5 Optima Store!

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
21 Posts
Just installed the full set of LED lights into my 2015 SXL. Thanks for the instructions on the reverse lights. It was really easy. Took about 15 minutes total. You'll need a 10mm and 11mm socket wrench and a phillips screwdriver and that's it. They looks awesome. Agree with the above poster, I think I might have been able to replace without removing the whole housing, but it was so easy to take them out and put them back, it didn't really matter.

FactoryvLEDs.jpg

This kit: http://www.k5optimastore.com/collections/products/products/interior-led-kit

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
21 Posts
Thanks T Morris,
I'm just so used to starting the engine, but you are correct. You can just double tap the start button without depressing the brake pedal so the engine isn't running. Then e-brake and switch gears to reverse.

Just curious. On the SXL, if you do the above without having the engine going, will the e-brake still disengage when shifting out of park?
You can also re-engage the ebrake once you shift into reverse and it will hold the car, running or not.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just attempted to install K5 Optima CREE reverse lights and can't get them to work...followed all steps to the detail...can anyone advise? Tried both bulbs and couldn't get them to work, could they be bad? 2012 SX.

thanks!

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
Just attempted to install K5 Optima CREE reverse lights and can't get them to work...followed all steps to the detail...can anyone advise? Tried both bulbs and couldn't get them to work, could they be bad? 2012 SX.

thanks!
Did you try flipping the bulb within the socket? Also, did you happen to blow any fuses? Make sure the engine starts. It's been awhile since I installed these. Feel free to PM me and I'll try and give advice. Otherwise we got a huge amount of support on the forums :)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2017 Tesla Model X
28,238 Posts

thanks!
Did you try flipping the bulb within the socket? Also, did you happen to blow any fuses? Make sure the engine starts. It's been awhile since I installed these. Feel free to PM me and I'll try and give advice. Otherwise we got a huge amount of support on the forums :)
Very good pointers here, also sometimes if the metal pins coming out of the bulbs are too close to the base, they will not make a tight connection. If you take your fingernail and ever so slightly bend the pins away from the base a very small amount, this will create a tighter connection and hopefully fix your issue.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
15 Posts
On my 2014 all I had to do was pull back the liner a bit.
Dont know for how far back this works for but that might help some!
Untitled-1.jpg

·
Registered
2012 Optima SX
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 48 Posts