Kia Optima Forums banner

LED positioning Light (DRL) step by step - KDM OEM

[DIY] : 
131K views 186 replies 54 participants last post by  vtxrover 
#1 ·
First of all you need tools for cut metal part. air saw or electric hand grinder.

When you got the parts, it will comes with 2 connectors. We don't need connector for fog light. cut as possible as close to connector. Green and black 2 wire needed for US version.

This is pics of what you need to do for remove front bumper. But US version has couple more bolts and nuts.

then pull this side look at inside.

You can see with flash light. Pic shows Korean version, But US version has couple more bolts.

2 red(remove nut) circle and 1 blue(remove bolt) circle show what you need to do more for US version.

Now pull off bumper.
pics show how much you need to cut. red box are extended for US version only.

take out fog light.

when you pull out fog light cover, pull one of grill clip will helps.

install LED DRL to cover(for DRL cover) total 4 screws are not include. get same size from home depot. same as fog light one.

install fog light to new cover.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
extra wire, heat shink, 2 connectors(male, female) needed.

extend wire to one side(to driver side)

cable tie will help to organized wire.

make T bridge to connector.

here I make female connector(from radio shack)

green wire to wall(+ wire)

Don't cut or make hole...!!! just pull little bit and push green wire to inside.

It will come out to right under streering wheel.

pull out 15amp fuse which is pic show!(It's 12V power which is next ipod cable and USB)

the other side to left fog light wire.

open fog light wire and ground black wire from fog light black to connector(male for DRL)

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the write up, much appreciated!

#10 ·
WOW

can't even describe how good this looks.

For a newb like me, would you say it's something i shouldn't attempt or what?
How long did it take to you to all this?

Not really. It was my first time remove front bumper myself......
I just search most "DRL Install guide + DIY" on Korean WEB to do it.
as a result, It wasn't that hard. Just need to cut metal rail(anyway, It is just extended for US/CANADA version only. So, I don't mind about it. If It's not pass safty requirement for KOR, EU They should install same one like US version in KOR, EU).

#9 ·
If anybody can come down to MD I can do it for you guys.
It takes about 1hour. that's it!

anybody interesting about KDM OEM LED DRL PM me.

require;; 1 set of DRL and 1 set of cover(housing), 4 pieces of screw(from home depot), 1 set of wire(Radio shack), 1 set of Connector(optional for easy replacement of front bumper)

#23 ·
Nah, not really. You got yours already so it doesn't help. :D

I was expecting a couple weeks but when ez2click posted a few days I got myself a little too excited I guess. Back to patiently waiting.

#26 ·
Mine finally arrived today so I'm getting set to install. Do you recall what size screws you got from Home Depot? Like a 3/4" #8 or something? If I know the size I can head down to HD now and get them before I tear my bumper off so I can have everything I need when I start.

Also, You basically connected the grounds of the LEDs to the grounds of the driving lights, correct? Then you ran a single wire to the cabin fuse block for 12v switched power... yes? I'm pretty sure that's what you did but the order you posted some pictures and some of the words you used make it a little more confusing. Was there any reason you didn't just source a switched power from the fuse block under the hood? Anytime I can keep from running wires a long ways into the cabin I prefer to do that personally. I would think there's a 10amp or 15amp switched fuse in that block too. I'll take a look when I start the install.

#35 ·
Hey man, thanks for doing the write-up and pointing me in the direction of where to get the parts. I followed your install to do mine and noticed a few things that may make it easier for others. I made a rather long winded how to here that doesn't have as many pics but is a little more descriptive. You also may want to reroute your power wire. A small hole in that boot won't hurt anything and that's why those boots are there, to protect wires from the metal firewall. If you wedge it between the two there is no insulation from the metal other than the thin jacket on the wire itself and with the wire right next to a metal edge vibration can cut through this over time and lead to power grounding out which can be bad. I would highly suggest running this wire again through the boot to save possible issues down the road. I would also wrap that wire in electrical tape at minimum and a small wire loom would be ideal to protect it. Just a few helpful tips and thanks again for taking the time to write it up. :cool:

#36 ·
This is a great write up! I studied it a few times before I put these in my car last night. (I ordered them from Kspec.com no affiliation or anything, just a reference) It took two weeks to get them.
Anyway I had my bumper cover off once already to change out the horns and thought I would share a bit of info to make the removal and reinstallation of the bumper a bit easier. The bracket under the headlight that is secured with three bolts does not have to be removed from the car with the bumper. The bumper cover is simply tension clipped into this bracket and if you take a longish flat blade screw driver and approaching it from the fenderwell put the blade of the screw driver between the lower portion of the bracket and the bumper cover and twist the screw driver, the cover will "unlatch" from the clips. This also makes the reinstallation much easier as after you hang the top of the cover under the hood, you can simple position the bumper cover over those two brackets you didn't take off and with a simple push, snap it back into place.

PS I wired mine as shown in this thread, however I did add a power switch below the dash in case I need to park incognito with the engine running.

Thanks again.

#38 ·
Now we will have to wait and see whether the same mod would work on the Hybrid?!

#40 ·
I plan on doing this install someday soon lol

I don't care for an on/off toggle switch so the Car on/off Drls work good for me!

#44 ·
Anyone from PA/OH/IN area that has done this want to help me out? Im kinda a car noob and def dont have a grasp of wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.