Kia Optima Forums banner

How to install LED fog lights

[DIY] : 
112K views 85 replies 31 participants last post by  jery911 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys, so since i've seen a lot of people asking how to install/replace fog lights, i figured i'd do a DIY.

Non-Hybrid vehicle lights
Hybrid vehicle lights
the forum link

There are now stage 1 and stage 2 versions, I'd highly recommend stage 2. I think it's almost as bright as HID and I also think it's pointless to go any brighter since they're fog lights, not headlights

Things you need: a screw driver
Things I recommend: a ramp/jack and jack stands, utility knife
Time needed: 10min
Difficulty: Lowest possible

I recommend using something to lift the car, but it's not absolutely necessary. This can be done without raising the car but it'll be a real tight fit, if you've lowered the car then it'd be **** near impossible.

Once your car is up, locate the protective plastic cover under the fog light and remove the two circled screws:

Passenger side:

be careful when u remove them, i stripped the plastic screws few times... and had to buy replacements for like $2.5 each...
To avoid stripping the plastic screws, don't push into the screws when you're trying to remove them. They come out very easily if you loosely insert the driver into the screw bit and turn counter clockwise. I've stripped these by pushing into them while i was turning

If you happen to have stripped the screw heads and can't get it out, take a utility knife and and gently pull it towards you like this:

once you have the bolts removed, pull down the plastic cover (this is the passenger side):

this is what it looks like inside:

before you remove the bulb, you should pull out the plug first because you'll break this circled piece otherwise:

once it's been removed, turn it counterclockwise and pull it out:

here is the new bulb (the glass/plastic should stay on and never be removed. i accidently broke mine, but i used crazy glue to put it back, DO NOT DO THIS. it makes the glued area hazy, find a glue made for acrylic or polycarbonate and use that):

and then to put everything back, just reverse the order.

the inside of the driver's side is:

same as passenger, pull the tab first (i didn't realize there was this tab, so i just twisted it and broke the plastic piece... now it's in there, but it's kind of loose... but not loose enough that it'll fall out):

this is what it should look like once it's ready to come out:

oh and i forgot to mention, there's three prongs you have to align in order to fit it. see the three tabs(two visible, one behind the wires)??:

so for the passenger side, replace the bulb, turn clockwise, plug in the cable, install the screws, and you're done.

If you follow my crappy directions, it should take 10minutes from start to finish.

i don't have any night time shots right now cause i didn't get a chance to take any pictures... i'll try to get my lazy ass up and take some pictures later tonight, but for now follow the provided link for sick's pictures

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for taking the time to do a write up on this. You will probably save a bunch of people including myself from breaking things like you did. Thanks guinea pig! :D

#3 ·
lol np... i'm really anal about small damages like this... and i'm sure i would've noticed it during the install if i could've taken the two screws off like i was supposed to... somehow they got lodged in cover real good and i had to cut mine out... i think when i was trying to pull it out, i ended up angling the **** screw...
so learn from my mistakes =P

#8 ·
Any photos of the light on or the light output from the Halogens?

#9 ·
the pictures for LED lights on can be found on K5 optima's LED link, i don't have pictures that compare them... maybe i'll take one during july 4th weekend if i remember. I'll try to take it with one side stock halogen vs LED

#12 ·
They're not as bright as HID conversion, but they're decently brighter than the stock halogen. Because it emmits a white light instead of yellow definately helps with the brightness too. I think HID on fogs are too bright and it's blinding... I think if you can use your fog as a head light, you're doing it wrong lol

#14 ·
Gonna need this when I buy these LEDs. Thanks!

#18 ·
Yes sir just let me know when you're ready! Just got in my new shipment! ;)

UPDATE: K5OPTIMASTORE now carries the hybrid version, I can't seem to edit the original post anymore since it's too old.
here's the link: K5 Optima Store - 25 Watt CREE LED Fog Light Bulbs (881) Hybrid models Only
And yes, the DIY is exactly the same except for the fact that the bulbs look different
Thank you so much for doing what you do for me. It is much appreciated! If you send a mod the info you want to add to your first post, they can add it in there for you.

David

#17 ·
#31 ·
#32 ·
Lol yeah...those things get stripped very easily.. .but luckily Kia uses the same clip through out the car =P I broke the clip in my trunk... so i gotta buy that clip too

#33 · (Edited)
When u say clip do u mean what the screw in ur pic above is going into? What i purchased for $7.00 is the screw and fastener/clip, 20 of each... If u want the link I can send it to u, dont want to put it out in the public since I have not received them yet and want to make sure they will work even though the specs are identical to the KIA/Hyundai part #s.

EDIT: Oh I bet your talking about the fasteners/clips that hold the trunk liner in that dont have screws...

#34 ·
I meant i've broken the screw/fastener clips and i've also broken the push pin/clip thing that covers the metal part that goes in and out of the body from the trunk... not sure how to explain it...it's a curved 90degree angle, two metal bars that connect the trunk to the body of the car? There's a plastic cover on mine that's held on by two push pin/clip and fastener clips... I've broken those and i need to replace those too

#35 · (Edited)
I got my fasteners today & while they are not "identical" to the OEM fasteners they seem to work & were only $.33 each (shipped). I replaced the 1 I destroyed when putting my fod light bulbs in and I could not pull it back out by hand so it seems to be holding. Im gonna give it a couple days and check to make sure it is still in place... I might even replace a couple on the trunk liner and see how they hold up...

They even got here pretty quick from Hong Kong, I ordered them on 9/24/2013 & they came today...

Here is a pic of them compared to a factory fastener which is on the far right.
View attachment 50593

If anyone wants a link to them on ebay let me know and Ill msg it to you... I dont want to post it in the public before I complete my testing to ensure they will in fact work...

#50 ·
Just and update these clips I got have been working perfect, I even replaced a couple more OEM ones when I put the new 80W Fogs in a couple months ago & they are all still in there and holding the plastic covers just fine...

#36 ·
Hmm since the OEM flanges out while the ones you've gotten don't, it won't have the same holding power. BUT since majority of the holding strength comes from the clips being expended out from the plastic screw going into the clip, you should be ok. I should prob buy one or two of those for future... and bunch of other clips... I can't seem to remove them without breaking it majority of the time

#37 ·
Yea they dont flange out as much for sure... Im going to replace a few in the trunk see how they they work, if they fall out oh well they were cheap & im sure I can find a use for em some day... I could not find any OEM fasteners that were not $1.25+ each so figured Id give these a try... If these dont work I may just have to break down and buy a few of the OEM fasteners cause like u I seem to break strip/break em pretty easily...

#39 ·
I agree, great write up. As far as what is favored more, it depends on your personal preference. If you're looking for light output to be as bright as your headlights then I would recommend going with the HID kit that I sell. K5 Optima Store - HID Lighting Conversion Kits

Otherwise if you are trying to match the colors properly, I would go with the LED fog lights as you can see in the pic below.

This post has been deleted
#42 ·
oops didn't see your reply lol. It doesn't make a click sound, but you should feel a gently "lock" where it feels secure in the 3 prongs. You might hear a very gently dudded click? but i doubt it. If you gently pull on it and it doesn't move around you'll be okay.
As for the brightness... I'm running 4300K HID from Diode Dynamics 35W. While these are bright, i dont think they're as bright as the ones you're running? So that might make it seem like mine are brighter than your's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.