Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did any kind of liquid get on it?
No type of liquid or spill. I did use a leather cleaner and conditioner. The Optima EX Hybrid does have leather seats. I assumed the armrest and door handle rest were also leather. It looks like leather. I purchased the Leather cleaner / conditioner from AutoZone. I cleaned the leather atheist twice a year. Could it be the product I've been using? Puzzled. It does not sit in direct sunlight, the car is parked under an open car port. Is exposed to the summer heat in El Paso Texas. Anymore thought. I just paid the car off, am a little disappointed I would baby my car.

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
589 Posts
Are you using anything other than Lexol from AutoZone?

The leather looks worn down from temperature/usage and then it wrinkles from more pressure once it's worn down. Cleaning and conditioning it helps prevent against this. As well as not letting it sit in hot temperature sun.

Lots of sweat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No the leather is not worn. Bought the car new. Has 62000 miles on car. These wrinkles started showing up about 6 months ago. Is there any way to stretch them back out and inject some sort of adhesive with a syringe. The only product I used is "Griot's Garage Leather 3-in-1" Cleaner, Conditioner and Protectant Liquid from autozone.
Just a thought...

·
Super Moderator
2013 Kia Optima
589 Posts
The leather is worn in 2 of the 3 photos. Look at how the leather is smooth and the texturing is gone.

It's important to understand that we generically use the word leather in cars now. Some of the seat surfaces in the Optimas are leather, but the rest is all not. While you can use Griot's and Lexol on all of it as they make it to cover Leather, Vinyl, and Rubber all the same, that's OK. Repairing however, is a different story. Faux Leather (aka "leatherette") which is really just vinyl (aka "synthetic") like all 3 of these pieces can't just be repaired easily.

You can't use the hair dryer trick like mentioned above on vinyl, it will damage it. That trick only works on real leather. Steam can work better (also only on leather), but this honestly looks like it would just come back.

I would replace the arm rest and take it to a professional shop for the door pieces. I paid $282 for a new arm rest from wholesalekiaparts.com.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's what I thought. Thanks for your input. I think I will stick to just using the Griot's on the seats. Those I know are leather and it does a good job cleaning and conditioning those.
Thank you for your time and reply.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
I use a general purpose vinyl UV protector spray on the non-leather "leather" parts, and a leather conditioner/protector on the "leather" perforated portions of the seat, and that approach has worked well so far.

If you are committed to replace the armrest anyway, maybe you can inject some kind of adhesive as an experiment? If it's otherwise going in the trash, might as well see what happens.

Perhaps some super glue? I bet you could get a strong needle to pierce through the underside plastic so there isn't even a hole visible from the top/outside...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I'm going to try it i got nothing to lose. I found a custom fit cover on ebay. It will take a little work to fit, but it will be worth it. It is only $18 with free shipping. Thsnks for your suggestions. Take care...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts