Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2wks ago I was at a stop light. When my turn I preceded to go and seconds later there was a wreck. My whole front was crumpled bad. Police came and only info for police report was exchanged. Never saw the other person. I'm stuck fixing it myself because my insurance had lapsed
2 things, 1 no airbag deployment and 2 the dealer I financed from weren't very helpful. I just got vehicle in November 2020 and it was wrecked on left front side because it was from a rental place. They repaired the body but triggered sensors with lights not working . Psi reading for tires were not stable and alarm or doors would click. Who should I talk to about car and problems I have.? I also wasn't given option of Gap coverage

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
264 Posts
Well if it were the other's fault, normally your own insurance would do the talking for you with the other's insurance. Since no coverage on your part, then you must act to communicate with other's insurance.

Now that previous damage and issues should have been addressed Before you signed to buy, it is most likely too late for that now. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,216 Posts
Owner's responsibility for insurance, and if financed, one would also have collision insurance, but one would need to know who was responsible for the accident. If other parties fault, your vehicle would be covered, if your fault and no insurance, you may find yourself in court to pay for the other party's damage.

Need to find a shop and repair with cheapest parts possible, used or aftermarket.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,101 Posts
We might be able to help with some of the mechanical car problems. Can you describe more details of each problem?

From the initial post, I'm thinking the following, but please correct me:
1) whole front crumpled but body is repaired so no problem here
2) airbag is not damaged because it didn't deploy (please clarify - are you instead saying the airbag is nonfunctional because it should have deployed in this collision?) so no problem here
3) triggered sensors - what do you mean? Sensors are working fine, or sensors are damaged? Which?
4) lights not working - headlight bulbs are straightforward to replace, or is it different lights? Which?
5) tire PSI reading not stable - can you describe the behavior? Have you ruled out a leak in the tire losing air (which would mean the tire pressure sensors are fine)?
6) alarm or doors would click - please describe in more detail. Is this an electronic click, or is it mechanical sound of metal hitting metal, or what?

I can't really comment on the insurance issue, but it would probably help to know if your jurisdiction is no fault (parties cover their own expenses), or was the other drive found to be at fault and admitted it or where their insurance agreed to pay to repair your car and you feel the repairs were insufficient etc.

But maybe we can focus here on the mechanical problems of the car, and do a separate post for the insurance payment issues?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
29,219 Posts
I’m so sorry to hear that you were involved in an accident and I hope you and everyone involved is OK and not injured.

At this point, it sounds like you might be better off contacting an attorney to see what options you have available with the particular laws in your state.

Coming to an online forum like this and sharing this information and looking for advice is fine, but probably not the best place to get the most accurate information in regards to what options you have available, and in accordance with the laws in your particular county and state.

I would recommend contacting an attorney and explaining the situation and seeing what options you have available.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you buy it from a big dealership or a little dealership? I'm guessing a small one because generally big dealerships send anything with noticeable cosmetic damage and dashlights on are sent to auction.

I don't think you understand the purpose of gap insurance correctly. It only kicks in when the car is totalled or stolen and covers the difference between what your insurance covers and what's left on your loan. Car insurance is what you needed to cover what happened. I don't mean to sound harsh here, but without insurance you shouldn't be driving the vehicle. Sounds more like you obtained insurance to procure a car loan to get a vehicle and then canceled it once you got the vehicle considering you just got the car at the end of last year. Surprised you weren't cited for lack of insurance when the police showed up.

I hit a deer a few years back with my 2011 and had major damage to the front driver's side. Amounted to $5200 in damage just to give you an idea on cost of front end damage without suspension damage or major mechanical damage. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts