Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car burns 1-2 quarts of oil a month. I first noticed in September and finally got the car in to get it checked. The dealership says the piston rings are worn and it does not fall under the recall so I have to live with the vehicle in this condition. I am not happy about this because it only has 115,000 miles.

I called KIA consumer affairs and they said sorry they cannot help me. Is there any other recourse I can take beside spending the money to get it fixed?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
If the dealer logged that diagnosis (worn piston rings) into your vehicle service history, then hypothetically speaking they/Kia could use that against you if your engine subsequently seizes and you attempt to file a claim for the engine failure warranty by arguing that you were informed that the piston rings were worn and you elected to not have that condition corrected (i.e., you chose to continue to drive your vehicle with the rings in such a condition).

Just saying cuz I can certainly see some unscrupulous Kia dealer trying to pull that on an unsuspecting Kia owner in an attempt to get out of having to honor that engine warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the dealer logged that diagnosis (worn piston rings) into your vehicle service history, then hypothetically speaking they/Kia could use that against you if your engine subsequently seizes and you attempt to file a claim for the engine failure warranty by arguing that you were informed that the piston rings were worn and you elected to not have that condition corrected (i.e., you chose to continue to drive your vehicle with the rings in such a condition).

Just saying cuz I can certainly see some unscrupulous Kia dealer trying to pull that on an unsuspecting Kia owner in an attempt to get out of having to honor that engine warranty.
Thanks for the info and I could definitely see that happening. At this point I'm going to put some of the piston ring treatment in it and try to slow down the oil loss. I've had the car almost 9 years and I'd like to try and get at least another year, or so out of it, then I'm back to a Honda.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
An engine (not even Kia's) will not seize just because the rings are worn, that just allows more oil than usual thru the combustion process, may harm cat.

I don't see why a dealer would argue against repairing something Kia Corporate would pay for, why deny yourself work???? That argument doesn't hold water, sorry.

What you can do is use heavier oil, say 5-40 to help reduce the oil usage but not much else, wouldn't waste money on gimmicky products that may just plug up oil passage ways, just use heavier oil. Luck and yeah and go Toyota next time, far better engineering and manufacturing processes.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Heavier oil won't do squat, but guess you'll need to ask them how do they know the rings are worn and not cylinder deterioration which is the cause for oil consumption with the crappy Kia/Hyuhdai engines.
You're the first I've heard of that Kia Corporate has turned down an oil consumption claim without checking, but I'd certainly continue conversation with Kia, not the dealer to have it rectified. If nothing, contact NHTSA and complain that the company is not standing by their engine debris resolution.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
I've never seen anyone mention doing a piston ring replacement on the Kia engine. Has anyone done that, is it even something you can do at home?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
I've never seen anyone mention doing a piston ring replacement on the Kia engine. Has anyone done that, is it even something you can do at home?
I can't stand dealerships, and in this instance they're just being obnoxious with their remarks to the owner. Wish they were near so I could have a talk with the idiots. Service writers as well as mechanics probably work at Kia/Hyundai as they couldn't find a position elsewhere and are probably just oil change people that wish they were mechanics.
They think if they throw out some ridiculous reason as to why the engine is consuming oil, the average Joe won't know how to respond and walk away.
As far as changing rings, done it many times in the garage, but it takes more than just removing/replacing rings as much more needs to be done.
You'd think that with all the fines for dragging their feet with the engine problems, and now more problems with the other engines not included before, they'd try to make things right with the consumer, but guess not.

All I say to the OP, don't give up too easily, keep up the calls, especially if the engine consumes a qt. of oil in the 400-500 mile mark.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate all of the input. The dealership told me that they sent an oil sample to the KIA lab in California and KIA did a test on it and this is KIA's position that they won't cover the engine "under the engine recall". That is the only other piece of information that I can think of that I left out, other than the service guy at the dealer said they just started getting more stringent with the engine recalls related to high oil consumption.

I just noticed this oil burning issue ironically after the first time I had synthetic oil put in this summer. I never really checked the oil before until recently when I was so busy at work and was going longer between oil changes. Had it started burning oil before I had Mr. Tire put synthetic in there, the car would have ran out of oil, the way it is going through oil now.

The only other thing I can think of is that the car had 300-400 miles on it when I bought it new and maybe it was abused during the break-in period.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
I appreciate all of the input. The dealership told me that they sent an oil sample to the KIA lab in California and KIA did a test on it and this is KIA's position that they won't cover the engine "under the engine recall". That is the only other piece of information that I can think of that I left out, other than the service guy at the dealer said they just started getting more stringent with the engine recalls related to high oil consumption.

I just noticed this oil burning issue ironically after the first time I had synthetic oil put in this summer. I never really checked the oil before until recently when I was so busy at work and was going longer between oil changes. Had it started burning oil before I had Mr. Tire put synthetic in there, the car would have ran out of oil, the way it is going through oil now.

The only other thing I can think of is that the car had 300-400 miles on it when I bought it new and maybe it was abused during the break-in period.
Tell them you want to see the test results.
As the owner and being told that the rings are worn you should be entitled to see the results.
Once you get the results, we'll look at it and I'm going to say not ring material in oil, then get
a current sample and send it out.

Maybe a good idea to send it out, get the results, and confront the stealership.

Great company!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima Ex
55 Posts
My car burns 1-2 quarts of oil a month. I first noticed in September and finally got the car in to get it checked. The dealership says the piston rings are worn and it does not fall under the recall so I have to live with the vehicle in this condition. I am not happy about this because it only has 115,000 miles.

I called KIA consumer affairs and they said sorry they cannot help me. Is there any other recourse I can take beside spending the money to get it fixed?
I am going through the same issue. Burning a lot of oil and called Kia and they said sorry not covered under recall. They were replacing engines for this condition before but have appeared to do a bout face. Not right in my opinion.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,184 Posts
Is there any test or procedure we could do, to tell whether the valve seals are bad or the piston rings are bad?

Would a cylinder compression test? If your cylinder holds pressure, then you probably can eliminate the rings as a culprit and focus on the valve seals? Or am I mistaken, or is there another test?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
You are correct, KingFatty. Compression tests including a full leakdown test on each cylinder, will tell the truth about the health of any engine. In my experience, if engine was not abused (got its oil changes on time) the rings are ok, and its more likely oil is making it past the valve seals.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,386 Posts
Cylinders out of round!
Valve stem oil seals would cause quite a large cloud (blue smoke) on startup with a cold cat and
the cylinders filled with oil, but haven't seen this condition on the newer cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hai i have an optima 2018 2.4 ltr.... Am seeing excess oil consumption and when approched dealership they told me to do a service D in which they change the PCV valve and spark plugs.... I had a leak under the oil pan since that was told and oil pan is replaced... No check engine lights yet.... Yes i see the oil patches outside the engine near the covering.... I believe its not the piston rings.... Because of the leak....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts