Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems too good to be true, tpbut then again, the UVO system does have WiFi capability..

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
Such an adapter can be beneficial only if you also have a means to wireless charge the phone as well (e.g., wireless charging pad)--otherwise it's more a gimmick product than anything else since you would still want/need to keep your phone charged while using this product. Unless you have a wireless charging pad in your vehicle, you'd have to connect your phone to USB to keep it charged, thus defeating the purpose of trying to have a cable-free solution to integrate your phone with your vehicle's multimedia system.

Also--unless that Bluetooth chip is capable of high audio quality streaming, you will lose some AQ when playing music via wireless CarPlay since it uses BT for the audio stream; I can hear the difference in AQ in my Optima when using the UVO to play music via BT vs. wired CarPlay. I could be wrong about the BT but most wireless car audio solutions I've seen all use BT to stream the audio wirelessly--I reckon the Wifi is used for the other CarPlay functions (e.g., phone, text messaging, Apple/Google maps, Contacts list, etc.).

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Such an adapter can be beneficial only if you also have a means to wireless charge the phone as well (e.g., wireless charging pad)--otherwise it's more a gimmick product than anything else since you would still want/need to keep your phone charged while using this product. Unless you have a wireless charging pad in your vehicle, you'd have to connect your phone to USB to keep it charged, thus defeating the purpose of trying to have a cable-free solution to integrate your phone with your vehicle's multimedia system.

Also--unless that Bluetooth chip is capable of high audio quality streaming, you will lose some AQ when playing music via wireless CarPlay since it uses BT for the audio stream; I can hear the difference in AQ in my Optima when using the UVO to play music via BT vs. wired CarPlay. I could be wrong about the BT but most wireless car audio solutions I've seen all use BT to stream the audio wirelessly--I reckon the Wifi is used for the other CarPlay functions (e.g., phone, text messaging, Apple/Google maps, Contacts list, etc.).
I disagree as to its usefulness. it will be fantastic for 90% of my driving...short trips in town where I can leave the phone in my pocket as it won’t need to charge for a relatively short trip. For long trips, sure, I’ll plug in...but then again maybe not, since the battery life on the iPhone 11 Pro is so good. Just depends on the trip.

My SXL does have a wireless charge pad, but every time I‘ve used it the phone gets really hot, so I shut it off.

RE the quality of Bluetooth audio in a car environment, to me it is indistinguishable from wired. There’s just too much other ambient noise to make me want to get the better sound by plugging in. Obviously YMMV.

·
Registered
2018 Optima EX, 2019 Stinger GT2 AWD
97 Posts
Anyone try to put an aftermarket wireless charger in their car? My 2018 EX has a pocket above the shifter, might be able to fit one in there, so in this case, the wireless carplay would be nice.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
To be fair, I don't own or have used that product so I can't say as to how the BT audio quality is/will be, but I do know that the factory UVO BT AQ is not nearly as good (it is tolerable) compared to when I have my phone connected to UVO via USB.

Also--I would imagine most folks who use Apple CarPlay do so for stuff besides/other than listening to music, e.g., using Apple or Google navigation; using the phone nav can and will drain the battery (GPS radio). Yes I know that phones like the iPhone 11 Pro have very good battery runtime but even then having BT, cellular, and GPS radios all going at the same time via (wireless) CarPlay will drastically reduce phone battery runtime.

But to your point--sure I can see why folks would be allured by not having their devices tethered by some wire.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts