Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So our windshield has developed a crack that goes across the entire window and we are planning on getting it replaced but the problem is I don't know if we should go genuine OEM or go with an aftermarket windshield....I also know that some models have the acoustic windshield (I dont think the LX model was available with it) but I dont think its compatible with the LX model....also has anyone had any experience with Safelite? Im kind of upset now because I have to redo the windshield tint..lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
So our windshield has developed a crack that goes across the entire window and we are planning on getting it replaced but the problem is I don't know if we should go genuine OEM or go with an aftermarket windshield....I also know that some models have the acoustic windshield (I dont think the LX model was available with it) but I dont think its compatible with the LX model....also has anyone had any experience with Safelite? Im kind of upset now because I have to redo the windshield tint..lol
Had to replace my windshield last year. The after-market windshield SafeLite used was fine; looked exactly like that they pulled out. However, the tech didn't reconnect my cleaning apparatus properly such that I couldn't clean my windshield first time I tried weeks later. Took it into a dealer who said it wasn't re-assembled correctly and charged me $75. Called SafeLite to complain and they would not honor the mistake made and refund me the cost of repair. Spoke to three different customer service reps who said no and that I should have had them take care of the warranty repair. Well, #1 I didn't know for sure it was SafeLite install problem until I had the repair made, though I suspected as much; and (2) I no longer trust them to do the job correctly. Finally give some SafeLite national complaint number. They were reluctant but agreed to refund me for the repair. Total jerks throughout the process, plus took two weeks to schedule and totally missed the first appointment we set. Eff Safe-LIte!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,209 Posts
My two cents--if you can afford it, go OEM; I was in your shoes, had full windshield replacement coverage but not OEM coverage so my insurance company authorized Safelite to replace with aftermarket. Would have cost me ~$900 including camera calibration (my SXL has LDWS, thus the front view camera). Safelite did a fairly decent job--I say "fairly decent" because after I got back home I noticed that part of the windshield trim had started to come loose a bit; to their credit Safelite did put it back in place, and gave me a couple of cans of Safelite-branded windshield cleaner for my troubles--LOL.

But back to your OEM vs. aftermarket question--I noticed that with the aftermarket one that was used on my car it seems to let in a wee bit more heat compared to the OEM (my skin and shirt feel a bit warmer); I also think (but can't scientifically prove, as I don't know the material composition of the windshield coating) that it lets in a bit more UV compared to the OEM becuase I noticed that the Transitions lenses on my prescription glasses start to darken a wee bit (but not fully darken--Transition lenses work by detecting UV)--this never occurred (AFAICT) with the OEM windshield.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.