Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just browsing around the forums and the K5 store, I noticed there's nothing performance tuning wise for the 2016 Optima 2.4L engine. There's a bunch of stuff for the 1.6T and 2.0T, but not for 2.4L.

Curious why that's the case.... Is it because the tuning operates on the turbo? Or just because nobody cares about the 2.4L

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,787 Posts
Simple answer really, the Kia Optima in general is a 4 door FWD family sedan.

They make a turbo model that makes the vehicle a bit more peppy, however still would not consider it a sports car.

If someone buys the base model 4 door FWD family sedan, there would really be no point in trying to tune it, as it has no turbo or supercharger.

If there were a tune for the vehicle, it would make less than 10hp and would cost between $300-$500, which most people would not find worth the investment.

Therefore, no tuning company is going to take the time to tune a naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engine, because what's the point really in doing so?

With that being said, there is an Air Intake System, Throttle Body Spacer & Exhaust System available for your 2016 Kia Optima LX 2.4L engine on our site.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see. What prevents a higher gain for the 2.4L engine? Is it because tuning works by affecting the behavior of the turbo or supercharger?

(Obviosuly i have no previous knowledge... internet not being too helpful)

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,787 Posts
I see. What prevents a higher gain for the 2.4L engine? Is it because tuning works by affecting the behavior of the turbo or supercharger?

It just is not a performance motor to start with. It's a very small displacement engine, designed for commuting, not racing or performance.

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts

It is not only the KIA 2.4 engine that has a small aftermarket performance part support , but any N/A(naturally aspired) engine(non-turbo/supercharger) which are V6,V8,etc. N/A engines only have bolt-on parts like air intakes,exhaust,throttle body spacers,etc that only provide small gains. Some engines with variable valve timing can be tweaked for about 10 more horsepower with a tune, but not much more.

The only way to really get big gains on a N/A engine is to change out the internal parts like the camshaft and valves for higher rpm ones which most owners will not pay to do on a commuter car like the Optima hence why performance part companies will not waste the time creating any in bulk. However, you can always get custom parts built for your engine for $$$$ if you really wanted to build a higher horsepower 2.4 engine.

Note: Turbo engines gain more power easily due to the fact that most are de-tuned from the factory for reliability, however removing the restrictions on most stock turbo engines does shorten the life of most engines depending on how much the engine is tuned from factory specs(stages) without beefing up the internals parts for stronger ones.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just is not a performance motor to start with. It's a very small displacement engine, designed for commuting, not racing or performance.
It is not only the KIA 2.4 engine that has a small aftermarket performance part support , but any N/A(naturally aspired) engine(non-turbo/supercharger) which are V6,V8,etc. N/A engines only have bolt-on parts like air intakes,exhaust,throttle body spacers,etc that only provide small gains. Some engines with variable valve timing can be tweaked for about 10 more horsepower with a tune, but not much more.

The only way to really get big gains on a N/A engine is to change out the internal parts like the camshaft and valves for higher rpm ones which most owners will not pay to do on a commuter car like the Optima hence why performance part companies will not waste the time creating any in bulk. However, you can always get custom parts built for your engine for $$$$ if you really wanted to build a higher horsepower 2.4 engine.

Note: Turbo engines gain more power easily due to the fact that most are de-tuned from the factory for reliability, however removing the restrictions on most stock turbo engines does shorten the life of most engines depending on how much the engine is tuned from factory specs(stages) without beefing up the internals parts for stronger ones.
I see. Makes more sense to me.

I get that the optima isn't a performance car, I was just wondering, from a mechanical perspective, what is so different about the 2.4L than the 1.6T and 2.0T that makes it impossible to get more gains. The de-tuned explanation makes sense.

Thanks for explaining guys!

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,787 Posts
I see. Makes more sense to me.

I get that the optima isn't a performance car, I was just wondering, from a mechanical perspective, what is so different about the 2.4L than the 1.6T and 2.0T that makes it impossible to get more gains. The de-tuned explanation makes sense.

Thanks for explaining guys!
The big difference between those models you listed, is the fact that those have a turbo which is forced induction, and the 2.4 L model does not.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 3.0TT
18 Posts
I would add the caveat that returns on an NA engine are more related to displacement. You can probably get a little more bang for your buck from a 5 liter V8 versus a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. Again, its just not a platform that has any intentions of being a performance car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for performance 08 kia optima 2.4 N/A ! Been reading this forum a minute. I see OBDll port plug in programmer's promising dyno tested 60 hp and 5mpg gains ? Any real truth to this ?

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,787 Posts
Looking for performance 08 kia optima 2.4 N/A ! Been reading this forum a minute. I see OBDll port plug in programmer's promising dyno tested 60 hp and 5mpg gains ? Any real truth to this ?
For starters, welcome to the Optima Forum. ?

This forum is dedicated to the 2011-2021 Kia Optima, so you won’t find too much information for your 2008 Optima here on this forum. There is another form online dedicated to your year model.

What you have read regarding plug in programmers or tuners, are for turbo model’s. There really aren’t any tuners designed to increase performance on the 2.4L naturally aspirated non-turbo engine, short of maybe a few random companies offering something that may offer a gain of 5 or 6 hp.

-David
K5 Optima Store

1 - 10 of 10 Posts