Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,289 Posts
Doubtful, because the sound seems to happen before the wastegate actuator moves.

So, what is the order of the various things that stop moving once you shut off the engine?

Maybe it's the high pressure fuel pump? Or something that generates pressure or vacuum.

That sound could be like a high-pitched fart squeaking out somewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There seems to be a pipe that is missing a vacuum line or a plug. The top of that inlet pipe is clean, the bottom is dirty, like a line or plug came off. Could it be he is sucking air into that pipe, when the engine shuts down causing the sound. You can see it in the forefront of the video.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I don't think that's a functional pipe. Rather, I think that's a post for mounting the plastic engine cover, and it's hollow just to save material and weight. But please could someone confirm I'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turns out it's the water pump. Dealer is ordering a new one. Funny thing is, it about 6 months old. Came with the new engine.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Huh, what a strange sound. So would you say the sound is more of a vibration from a bad bearing in the water pump, and not air whistling?

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kia says from seals?? They ordered a new one. Now, shouldn't this be covered by warranty since I got the engine replaced less than a year ago?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Are you sure it's not the A/C? If the system is under-pressurized, it will make a whistling/gurgling/hollow hissing sound... You should be reading about 40PSI on the low side once the system is up to power.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure it's not the A/C? If the system is under-pressurized, it will make a whistling/gurgling/hollow hissing sound... You should be reading about 40PSI on the low side once the system is up to power.
Not sure. Now that you mention the gurgling sound, I do hear that after I shut the car off...about a few seconds after though. This whistling sound happens as soon as the ignition button is pressed and the car shuts off.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Not sure. Now that you mention the gurgling sound, I do hear that after I shut the car off...about a few seconds after though. This whistling sound happens as soon as the ignition button is pressed and the car shuts off.
Yep, that sounds like your A/C. Check the pressure. There are a few handy tables out there for what it should be at for a given temperature/humidity level.

Here's one posted by Turbonut: Another A/C Bites The Dust Again

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the water pump was bad and they replaced it... Good thing I have extended warranty. They also have to change the idler pulley. Are these supposed to be new with the new motor I got 11 months ago?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts