Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this just extra storage or am i supposed to have a spare? It doesn't look big enough for a spare unless you remove this black thing.

Anyone have a picture of theirs?

This is a 2016 optima t-eco

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
Above is a Florida dealer I ordered mine from and NOTICE TIRE SIZE for Kit.
eBay as desired OR Ask Dealer for Quote and note $250 Free Ship here (reg $300) /Search as able for Alt. . You gotta have one as a Can won't Fix a Side-Slit/Puncture.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what is the black foam thing i have for?
It's not used if i buy the spare kit?

Is it just an empty tray or is something supposed to be in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this just extra storage or am i supposed to have a spare? It doesn't look big enough for a spare unless you remove this black thing.

Anyone have a picture of theirs?

This is a 2016 optima t-eco View attachment 247768
I have a 2016 SX 2.0L. When I was buying the car, new, It came with spare. The tire fit in the hole with the tools and jack placed on top of the tire. The jack and tools were secured into some large foam material, it all fit under the truck lid/carpet. Weird thing is, when I asked my salesman if it came with my car, he told me NO.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
2,772 Posts
I have a 2016 SX 2.0L. When I was buying the car, new, It came with spare. The tire fit in the hole with the tools and jack placed on top of the tire. The jack and tools were secured into some large foam material, it all fit under the truck lid/carpet. Weird thing is, when I asked my salesman if it came with my car, he told me NO.
Typical lack of knowledge salesman, but the 2016 SX/SXL had a spare tire as factory equipment.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,833 Posts
So what is the black foam thing i have for?
It's not used if i buy the spare kit?

Is it just an empty tray or is something supposed to be in it?
I have an older 2012 SX thad had the spare, and yes, that black foam thing in your picture is not going to be used when you put the spare tire in its place.

Instead, the tire fits down into the metal, and there is a different/smaller foam tray that sits on top of the spare tire to hold the jack/tools. There is a bit of extra space for small items to be stashed in addition.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
335 Posts
When I bought my 2016 SX I had to sign a document acknowledging that the car did not come with a spare. Turns out the car had a spare, as well as a set of wheel locks.

·
Registered
2013 Kia LX
337 Posts
To save money. No spare what is the purpose of a jack. They could have at least designed an area that could have been used better. Or yet for the money they saved ( they will say weight ) they could have installed a locking glove box or better yet a trunk that can only be opened by the person with a key. With all the valet parking there is no way to protect your belongings. Oh well, with everything happening stay healthy and safe.

·
Registered
2018 kia optima LX
38 Posts
not even a doughnut!! replacing a spare with a can of fix-a-flat or similar is common these days. buddys 2010 SHELBY got a flatbed ride when his sidewall was cut. 50 thou plus + no spare!!! girlfriends preowned 18 had a spare or no sale!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wonder if my Tire Mobility Kit would fix this one LOL. Joke aside, Do you think it would be OK to buy a 16 inch doughnut and jack for an Optima S with 18 inch wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,024 Posts
I don't see why not--not unless you were concerned that the trunk storage area didn't already include the necessary parts needed to properly secure the donut tire?

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
I'd say if you have the option, just buy the spare kit and remove the foam.

The 2017+ hybrids have battery in that place and cannot even have a spare. I still placed a jack in my trunk toolbox as I can use a tire plug whenever possible. The sealant creates a mess and no tire shops like it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
We have two local places that do tire repair and they will charge 25.00 extra if the tire has the GOOOO

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
503 Posts
My new Posting ID is "Broken Record" ... as I stated in other Threads - "Most of your spare tires are FLAT"; Chk the PSI and get a 12V Air Pump for Uh-Oh's on the Interstate / way-back country roads and THAT reality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have two local places that do tire repair and they will charge 25.00 extra if the tire has the GOOOO
Local Kia dealer said their fix-a-flat goo also plugs up the tire pressure sensor so a replacement may be required and then serialized to the car's computer (They've already dealt with that mess.). They told me to only use about half the can to see if it will inflate to keep from over-gooing the thing and gumming up the sensor.

I do have a tire plugger from motorcycle era which fires a mushroom plug into the tire if it is a screw or nail. I works well, and I have used it on prior cars and motorcycles, but you need to get it into a position to work with it. A jack would help to rotate it.

Unfortunately, for some odd reason, the dealer cannot come up with a kit for my 2020 hybrid model. Don't know what is so odd with them verses the non-hybrid model. I would think a 17" spare kit should work, but they say no it won't. Dunno. Perhaps electric motor hubs or something.

Really dumb idea, imho, not having one since the hybrid was made for distance travel with increased MPG (Fwiw, I'm averaging 38 MPG verses only 12 MPG in the Jeep Cherokee 4x4.). A flat at midnight may require a very costly tow to some tire shop, and sitting there until they open - and good luck if on a Sunday.

I may try and find a stock OEM tire/wheel and then try and locate a jack that would work. Then some sealed bag to put it all in so it will not have the rubber smell and toss it into the back seat or trunk - if it will fit in there.

·
Registered
2017 Kia Optima Hybrid
83 Posts
Unfortunately, for some odd reason, the dealer cannot come up with a kit for my 2020 hybrid model. Don't know what is so odd with them verses the non-hybrid model. I would think a 17" spare kit should work, but they say no it won't. Dunno. Perhaps electric motor hubs or something.
Have you opened your trunk and check the spare tire well? I believe unless you have the 5th gen or 3rd gen, the spare tire well is used for hybrid battery. If you open you'll see a really ugly battery, and poorly designed space. I have to carry a set of tire plugs and jack in my toolbox.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts