Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Kia Optima SX-T
1,456 Posts
I'd check it and/or clean it with Throttle body cleaner and test it. You should be able to "blow" out from the side that is screwed into the engine but not be able to "blow" into the nipple end. Wow, that sounded weird. :shocked: But I think you will understand what I mean when you unscrew it out from the valve cover.

If in doubt, just replace it with a new OEM one.

·
Premium Member
2014 Optima-Black
1,124 Posts
^^ Can't get any better answer than this but I have no idea what this is lol. You da man Top :)
Thanks for your usual support!

I reserved myself from stating "When water doesn't flow through it anymore." but I spared ht_addict and figured I'll just provide a short Optima Forum Webinar for the educational experience. There's a few on this forum that could use this since PVC is used very often.

Next, will be my Dyslexia Webinar in case they don't see anything wrong with it spelled that way. :lol:

·
Registered
2014 KIA Optima
1,663 Posts
Is there a time frame for changing the PVC valve on a KOH?
LOL.

I usually check my PCV valve at 30k miles.

I check mine by removing it and shaking it and see it rattles or not.

If it rattles, then it is mostly likely good since that mean the PCV mechanism is not stuck.

If the PCV valve do not rattle , then it means that it is stuck or sticking so not a good valve.

At 60k miles I just change the PCV regardless if it rattles or not since the part is pretty inexpensive.

Reactions: williamhood

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel I need to add that a PCV valve rattling or not has nothing to do with whether it actually works or not, just whether it's mechanism has seized one way or the other (which could be open or closed).
Looking inside of it from the thread side, the inner circle should be centered and stay centered. If it doesn't, then it's a sure sign the pcv valve has gone bad and will be leaking (the spring has sprung). You can do a rudimentary home test with a bike pump and a balloon, putting the balloon over the blue side and using the bike pump on the other side. The balloon should inflate and stay inflated llwoth the pcv valve acting as a one way valve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts