Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 optima 2014 Optima SX
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i wanted to make some wheel well led light rings i saw on youtube because i refuse to pay $200.00 when i know i can do a whole car set up for about that much. I set out to make something like this

So i started hunting around the net and decide to use superbrightleds.com i could have found cheaper products on ebay but i knew the items i ordered from superbrite would be great and they normally get delivered 3-4 days after i order with the cheapest shipping like $3-$5 depending on what you get. i went with High Power RGB LED Weatherproof Flexible Light Strips - WFLS-RGB | Color Changing RGB LED Strip Lights | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs i got 2 of the copper 39" and 1Wireless Remote RGB Controller with Key Fobs | LED Controller & LED Dimmers | LED Light Strips & Light Bars | Super Bright LEDs | Super Bright LEDs,and 40' of rgbcable and 40' of the plastic tube shielding. Next i Grabbed a 10' by 1/2 piece of galvanized steel for $2.00 from home depot and some steel screws.

14 - 3.jpg 14 - 1.jpg 14 - 5.jpg 14 - 6.jpg 14 - 4.jpg
I decided to go with a 15" diameter ring (48") to just fit around the caliber i measure & cut the steel rings. the steel comes in a L shape i cut it down the middle to make 2 48" x 1/2 pieces and split them into 4 48" x 1/4" pieces giving me my rings. Over lap the ends of a 48" x 1/4 strip by 1" and secure with 2 screws to make your rings. Next we need to make our brackets from the remaining steel we need to make twelve 7.5" x 1/4" strips to use to mount our rings to our brake dust shield.

Next we need to solder up our led's. I had no experience soldering before this project, i went out and bought an iron with sharp type tip and .50 solder and watched a few youtube videos including this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLQs7S_Ou8U&list=TLpfLzGModstWk8kxa1dhn_FVBpCC3UpHl. SO I decide split mine led strips into 5 sections to try and stay under the $100.00 mark and get more bang for my buck (will test both full led ring and non full ring before i decide to make all 4) this is where searching for a good deal makes all the difference i could have gotten more length if i would have shopped at e-bay and waited for it to ship from over sea's but who has time for that.after testing i attach to the ring with the double sided tape and retest before securing to car.

so i have only got my 2 test rings done so far i plan on installing them tomorrow ran out of time this week end but here is a little video of what i got so far

Follow rest of thread for more photos n videos

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doh sorry trying to get everthing ready for kids to go back to school tomorrow should be fixed

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks i plan on making a custom license plate that will be hooked to the system and also put something together for the fog lights. They sell pre-made led rgb fogs for like $80.00 on ebay which i think is way to freaking expensive so i plan on figuring those out next.

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,606 Posts
Nice :thumbsup: cant wait to see the finish product on your car..
i've seen a lot of those here, either in a Challenger or Charger...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Weather refused to cooperate this weekend I did manage to get both front metal rings installed. I still need to get back two in plus attach led strips and wire them all up to the controller. Couple of pics of front ring.
IMG_20140810_151624.jpg IMG_20140810_151620.jpg IMG_20140810_151616.jpg
IMG_20140810_152258.jpg

·
08/2015 ROTM
2015 Kia Optima
430 Posts
I would use a small bolt with a locking nut to hold those rings together, those jagged screws sticking out like that look scary! I might be over reacting it though, just me...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already had the same thought, it would make them removable also for when I need to do the brakes. These screws where what I had lying around at the time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are a few photos of the rears I did today. I ran the wires all the way to the inside fuse box and tucked it nicely under trim along drivers side. I spliced both wheels plus the main run from front with a fourth extra foot to run thru trunk right where the driver rear wire comes in from outside. Hope to get fronts done tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_20140812_195857.jpg
Notice I cut out the section over brake calipers to make changing easy.

IMG_20140812_195902.jpg IMG_20140812_211850.jpg IMG_20140812_195906.jpg
How I ran out side wiring.

IMG_20140812_211847.jpg

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,606 Posts
Nicely done :thumbsup: share us some pics on night time :cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Went to plug in piggy back fuse to power system and pop it went. Disconnected power new fuse plug it in repower n pop. Double check fuse box with meter to find + make sure everything looks n should be good and pop. FML now I have to trace down a freaking short. Questions do rgb LEDs have to be run in series or can they feed multiple strips from a bus line. To the internet batman research time before hand inspecting every connection and solder point. Worst case would be bad soldering on the strips which I fear it maybe any suggestions for easy testing my wiring.

----------------

So feeding from bus should be fine now i just have to find the short :(

Used my continuity tester with alarm these are my first results hooked one line to controller end and other to piggy tail off rear split where the led strips meet bus line.

black line is power 12v+ rest of the lines should be neg

black - black = alarm
black - red = alarm
black - blue = nothing
black - green = nothing

red - black = alarm
red - red = alarm
red - blue = nothing
red - green = nothing

blue - black = alarm
blue - red = alarm
blue - blue = alarm
blue - green = nothing

green - black = alarm
green - red = alarm
green - blue = nothing
green - green = alarm

So i'm thinking that my red line must be shorting into 12v+ some where or grounding out? suggestions welcome.

-----_-----------------------

Traced the short to driver rear ring now I just need to find out what I did wrong rest work fine so Im getting close to finishing

--------------

Short found both sides lite now to reinstall driver side lights
IMG_20140813_174622.jpg

_-----------------

Backs both in and ready now just need to wire in fronts rings are made in installed just the LEDs need wiring

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Finished mod under $100.00 that's half of what there charging on da interwebs. i tapped in the fuse for interior so they come on when i un-arm the alarm and got off when i set alarmi plan on adding miglos proximity mod to them as well as custom glowing emblems, color changing tag holder and doing the fog lights hope you guys enjoy and get inspired to tackle that mod you been wanting to do but think is to hard, if i can pull this of anyone can with time a patience.

IMG_20140813_212503.jpg

1 - 20 of 27 Posts