Kia Optima Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2012 KIA Optima HYBRID
3,606 Posts
Hey Guys, can someone please help me out, i need to replace my tires soon, my current setup all around is 225/40/18 (18x7.5) with Megan Lowering Springs, now my question, will a "235/45/18" size tires is ok to use??

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
yes

·
Registered
2014 KIA LX
188 Posts
well i have a noobish question, but where else to put it but in the wheel FAQ :thumbsup:

i plan on taking off my wheels this weekend to paint my calipers, and after some reasearch im now wondering if i can do it with the lug wrench included with the car, or will i be better off buying a torque wrench so i can torque the lugs to spec.

will this work
Torin Jacks 1-2" Adjustable Torque Wrench - Walmart.com

and for the socket for the wheel locks, is it 3/8 inch drive or 1/2 inch ?

any other tips for taking off and putting them back on?

Im still learning
I'd recommend getting a torque wrench.(65-79 ft. lb.) Seen too many busted lugstuds from overtorquing and damaged hubs and wheels from undertorquing, I feel lucky that I haven't witnessed any fatalities.

·
Registered
2013 Optima SWP
437 Posts
Wondering if anyone has MB Optima wheels in matte black with machined face in 17. Tried searching here, but obviously it made the search hard because of the word "Optima" in the name. I've seen other MB wheels here but I don't think I've seen these. Could someone post up some pics of what they look like if they have them? Or suggest other wheels that have this style because I think they look good on the SWP.

MB Wheels - Optima

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Should be the same as the other 18" SX wheels listed in the OP.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I don't think that's any better as OEM 18" wheels are 7.5" wide. :)

---------- Post added at 03:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

Factory Wheel Information
Optima LX
Wheel Size:
16"x6.5"
Offset: ET41
Wheel weight
: ~25 lbs?
OEM tire size: 205/65R16
Wheel and tire: ~42 lbs?

Offset: ET44
Wheel weight
: ~24 lbs?
OEM tire size: 215/55R17
Wheel and tire: ~43 lbs?

Wheel weight: 23.5 lbs
OEM tire size: 225/45R18
Wheel and tire weight: 48 lbs

Wheel weight: 23.5 lbs
OEM tire size: 225/45R18
Wheel and tire weight: 48 lbs

Wheel weight: 25 lbs?
OEM tire size: 205/65R16
Wheel and tire weight: 42 lbs?

I think this is the best information at this point.

·
Registered
2012 SX
1,895 Posts
So I'm going to throw this in here instead of starting a new thread.

Basically, I want to change wheels because my rear wheels have too much poke and I hate that look. I run a 20x9.5 (45ET) on a Nitto 245/35/20. From eyeballing it, I have about a .5" poke that I'd like to be rid of. If I go with a 20x8.5" in the rear, keeping the same tire, what is the deepest concave ET I could get away with? 35?

·
Super Moderator
2012 Kia Optima
3,469 Posts
Are there any implications/considerations to addding 20mm spacers to the stock 2015 SX wheelset?
20mm in stock will make them look flush from what I've read.

·
Registered
2015 SXL
8 Posts
According to the calculations I can run a 20x8.5 +38 225/35/20.
Anyone sle run this combo, how does it look?

Ive searched a lot of threads but haven't seen this combo, need to know how this offset looks. Anyone have pics?

thank you
-Freddie

·
Registered
2015 Optima SXL
86 Posts
I'm going to be the odd-man out here by not going with wagon wheels, i.e., 20's, 22's, 24's, etc.... The 2015 Optima SXL is the wife's car (I drive a Sky Redline Roadster). Anyway, she doesn't care for the hard ride resulting from the OE low profile tires. I've tried adjusting the pressure resulting is ostensibly no relief. So my thought is to switch out the OE's for higher profile tires and since clearance might be an issue with installing higher profiles on the OE 18" rims, I thought I'd replace the OE 18's with 17's. My question is whether the 17's will have any clearance issues with the OE brake set up. I'm planning on going with 225/55-17's on all 4 corners. Overall, the new tire/wheel combo only results in 3/4" increase in height and just under an inch in sidewall height.

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
16 Posts
I've got a 2012 Optima LX, nothing fancy. I've hated the Nexen CP671 OEM tires (205/65R16) from day 1. I'm ready to bite the bullet and swap out these tires even though they only have 25K miles on them. I'd like to go a little wider, say 225/60R16 or 235/55R16, but I can't find a reliable source that will tell me they will fit fine. The speedo will only read a fraction higher or lower at 65 mph (65.34 or 64.23) with these sizes. I'm pretty sure either would fit but I'm looking for authoritative answers. Thanks much for any info!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,586 Posts
... doesn't care for the hard ride resulting from the OE low profile tires. I've tried adjusting the pressure resulting is ostensibly no relief. So my thought is to switch out the OE's for higher profile tires and since clearance might be an issue
I wanted to reply in case other people are facing the same issue of hard ride: try taller tires, 225/50-18, and you should notice like I did how it feels better in terms of being a softer ride. I don't think you need to go to a 17" rim, just need a bit more height.

Also, there is a possibility that the sportier suspension is what is causing the issue for the passenger, so your best bet is to try the taller tires and hope that is enough to address the concerns, and then if not, try getting softer suspension components. I just feel like swapping the wheels to 17" is too extreme and will be wasted money because it's better to solve the issue by either using 1) taller tires on the same 18" rims, and if that's not enough, try 2) softer suspension and keep the 18" rims and use taller tires.

Note that I really like using 225/50-18 on the 18" rims, and have been using it for the past 2-3 years. I'm about to buy tires again and I plan to stay with the taller tires. I also like how the tires fill the wheel well a bit more, looks nicer than the stock tire size on 18" rims. I think it's a 3% difference, so your speedo is corrected to be more accurate (instead of how the stock size results in the slightly optimistic/inaccurate speeds that is typical for default cars).

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
16 Posts
I'd love to know or hear from someone has ever done this: rocking a 17" on SXL, with either 225/55-R17, 215/55-R17, 215/60-R17, or 225/60-R17 (with or without spacer). If you have pics to share it'd be much appreciated too.

I don't care much about appearance, just want to go max for the ride comfort and to reduce road noise. Yes, I know there are touring tires that would eliminate road noise and fit 18" rim at the same time. But what if I have this same kind of tires fitting on 17" rim, so I will have much taller tire wall.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts