Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Offset will depend on the width of a wheel you go with. You really should read the first post. Offset needs to be paired with the width or else its arbitrary. I'm running a 9in wide will with a 42mm offset and my wheels sit flush with the fenders. A narrower wheel will need a lower offset to accomplish the same look.
Yes, this I know. I'm not going to autox the thing or anything of that nature thus why I'm keeping the stock size. Going to keep the wheels inside the fenders like stock, so rocks and other items in the road do not have a chance to ding up my quarter panels. My Evo x as well as the STI had a huge problem with this when you went aftermarekt with too much offset and even some with the stock wheels as well.

I plan on taking the stock tires off and putting them on the new rim.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did the whole wheel measurement thing on that website and im still confused cause it showed that my new wheel would stick out slightly more then stock wheels. Is that a bad thing? Do i now need something special to make the wheels not stick out? Also if the hub off set is 5x114.3 and teh wheel is just 5x114 will that be a problem? The webiste i was looking at the wheels for says they will fit on my vehical but im still confused. Im not really a car guy though.

·
itscoldoutdog
1,825 Posts
How much did the program say they stuck out compared to stock?

its okay if it sticks out some compared to stock. Any configuration past 15-20mm more stuck out is when you may start to worry. Less than 15mm and you'll still be tucked in, no problem.

Thats bolt pattern, not offset, but yes some descriptions just get lazy, "5x114" is 5x114.3 (the proper listing)

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 170
2,115 Posts
Since not everyone wants to learn this "offset" or "ET" stuff, I'll put it in a nutshell.

First off, while rim width is a factor, I would argue that it's more or less irrelevant unless you are pushing the limits with rim widths. Lets just say anything over 9" is pushing the limits. Most wheels "made" for our car are going to be in the 7.5"-9" range. Once you go wider than that you will want to make sure the rim has clearance.

What really matters is the tire's tread width. The center of the tire on a ET40 (40mm offset) rim will be the same for any width rim. The only thing that changes is how far apart the bead of the tire is stretched on the rim. While this does have an effect on the lower part of the sidewall, it does not change the where the tread sits and its affect on clearance is negligible.

So if you are looking at wheels between 7.5"-9" wide here is what you need to know:

1) Offset or ET should be in the 45mm to 35mm range. The lower the number, the closer the tire will be to the outer fender. If you want to go outside of that range, study up and know what you are doing.

2) Tire widths in the 215-245 range. The narrower the tire, the lower the offset you can use.

3) Is your car lowered? This is only a factor if you are pushing the tire size/rim offset limits.

Now, I'm going to tell you what I know:

1) 35mm offset wheels will cause clearance issues 245mm and possibly 235mm width tires. If the car isn't lowered, you may never have an issue, but you could if you bottom out the car. If you plan on running 225's, a ET35 is probably about perfect, but beware if you want to go with a wider tread.

2) 40mm offset wheels work great with 235's. I experienced a slight amount of rubbing with the 245's (may car is lowered) and have tons of clearance with 225's.

3) 45mm offset wheels will work with any of the tire sizes but will not look as good in most cases.

And don't forget that our wheels bolt pattern is 5x114.3.

·
Registered
2015 BMW M235i
2,822 Posts
well i have a noobish question, but where else to put it but in the wheel FAQ :thumbsup:

i plan on taking off my wheels this weekend to paint my calipers, and after some reasearch im now wondering if i can do it with the lug wrench included with the car, or will i be better off buying a torque wrench so i can torque the lugs to spec.

will this work
Torin Jacks 1-2" Adjustable Torque Wrench - Walmart.com

and for the socket for the wheel locks, is it 3/8 inch drive or 1/2 inch ?

any other tips for taking off and putting them back on?

Im still learning

·
08/2012 ROTM
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You dont need a torque wrench, tightened with your hands is already to spec, they don't need to be super tight.

The socket for the wheel lock is meant to fit on the lug wrench, not a socket wrench.

Loosen the lugs on the wheel you want to take off before you jack it up. When you put them on use a star pattern while tightening, this will help them seat centered.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I hope that emoticon is showing your sarcasm.

The stock wheels from one Optima will fit all the other Optimas.
I am going to say that the 16" rims will not fit on the turbos with the bigger front rotors, there is about a 1/4" clearance to the rotor with the 17" rims.
Only saying this because I used 16" (same model car) alloys as winter tires and it came with 17" stock alloys.

What is the hub bore for the stock 17" or 18" rims?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey all, sorry in advance for the thread hijack....

I have a 2013 LX and a set of pizza wheels on the way for it, wife's decision. I am thinking I'm going to run 15mm and 20mm spacers and eventually throw some Eibach springs on. I'd love to do Ark springs but I don't trust the wife with a car that low :)

What would be the best size tire for this setup to run? I'm not sure whether a 235, 225, or maybe even smaller would be best.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Awesome, thanks! Are the mud guards a must with spacers? Having the tires stepped out further than stock, I imagine more crap will get flung up onto the car.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
There have been a lot of fitment questions lately so I will put this in here. Hopefully it will help some of you guys out.

Look at the wheel and tire FAQ. There are tire size calculators. I like the one at 1010 tires the best. You can compare up to 5 tire sizes at a time and they will warn you if a size that is too big or too small. It's a great tool.

Here are the most common sizes you can run on our cars: 225/45R18, 235/45R18, 245/45R18, 225/40R19, 235/40R19, 245/40R19, 225/35R20, 235/35R20 and 245/35R20.

All of these tires will fit our cars with stock suspension on wheels with offsets ranging from +35mm to +45mm (give or take a few mm). If you want to lower the car, the 225 and 235 tires should fit our cars with out issues when used on wheels with offsets +35mm and higher. If you go to the 245s you should stick with offsets higher than +40mm to be safe. Wheel diameter and width are less important than the combination of offset and tire selection.

I've offered you some basic guidelines, but keep in mind that not all cars, suspension components wheels and tires are exactly the same, so your results may vary. I can tell you that a few of us experienced slight rubbing on my (lowered) cars with 245s on +40mm offset wheels while there are others here with 245s on +35mm offsets that don't rub.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
How much tire pressure do you need when plus sizing?

I found something interesting on the Toyo site. If you put you vehicle in when you search for tires, they will give you and option of viewing plus sizes. Once you get the listing, you can click on a size and they tell you how much PSI is needed to get the same load capacity as the OEM tires.

You'll notice a slight difference in tire psi recommendations between the Optima models. When comparing the 225/40-19 size I run, they recommend 41 psi to maintain the same load capacity as the 17" EX wheels my car came with. But it only takes 38 psi to achieve the same results on the SX (apparently the 18" OEM tires have a lower load capacity at stock pressure). Using this information, I figured out that I should probably be running 38-41 psi in my 19s (which is in line with what Audi recommends for 19's on their A4).

I also noticed that you get slightly different results if you select the EX vs SX. When looking at +1 sizing on the SX, a 255/35-19 shows up, but when looking at +2 sizing on the EX, it does not.

All in all, I think it's a pretty good tool to get an idea of where to start with tire pressure when plus sizing wheels.

Here is the link: http://tirefinder.toyotires.com/

·
Registered
398 Posts
My tire "guy" at Discount tire ran some numbers for me for my purchase. Going by weight (load) distribution at the corners, etc. etc.

He said my stock 17" on my EX should be at 33 PSI. After crunching the numbers for my 245/40-19s, he said the minimum PSI should be 33 and the MAX should be 36.

I don't know what these numbers mean exactly, but he said with the stock at 33 PSI, the load at the corners is at 1330. With the new tires at 36 that would be 1363.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
21 - 40 of 81 Posts