Kia Optima Forums banner
101 - 120 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
978.... 41200 miles...... Mostly highway driving. I do not earn too many points at 70mph, but still loving the efficiency over my former vehicle, MDX? I do with I had weather through Sirus like the MDX did or the Sonata does.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
It's soon2kia here; just trader the '12 for a '13 and I had 19,000 miles with an ECO score of nearly 900. Today, ECO score 2, with 50 miles. I'll post more about the trade later and how the updated power train drives.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
At 1051 miles my 2013 Hybrid shows an ECO score of 51 - 3 better than the '12. On my second tank of gas and looks like it should be good for 650 miles or so. Driving really nicely! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Speedometer
Speedometer Auto part Odometer Gauge Vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Mid-size car

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,276 Posts
Those are some good numbers! My car just hit 9k this past weekend and after filling up I have been getting between 39 and 42 indicated by the trip computer. Used to see these numbers when i babied it in the first few weeks of driving the car. Might be a combination of comfortable temps and the fact that the traffic flow is steady. I know my tires were low on air (down to 30 psi) and I put it up to 40 psi. I got the 42 on when the tires were low, they felt soft and were squealing in corners before I checked them. Will have to wait and see what this tank yields, wasn't a 20 gallon fill but if I end up 40 overall and have it get better as the car age, it would be a good thing. Also have the system update this weekend so let's hope that provide some improvement as well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I am at eco 89 with about 1300 miles on my 13. Indicated 39.5 mpg with about 90 to empty before filling up for the 3rd time. My 11 had 471 when I sold it with 18474 miles on it. This one is so much better. No difference in driving style. The 13 comes on and stays in EV much more often and much longer in city driving than the 11. Crossing my fingers. I find that the indicated mpg is about 3.5 mpg optimistic.

Edit:

Correction (after I jumped in the car this morning) Eco is 90 with 1473 miles (still OK and much better than the 2011).

I just have this niggly feeling that these Eco numbers are about "feel good" and are not based in reality. After the poor mileage I had on my 2011 and what appears to be much better numbers right of out the box on the 2013, I guess I am a little skeptical. Don't look a gift horse (which I paid for btw) in the mouth, right?

The only number that really matters to me is the hand calculated mpg at the time of fill up and of course the distance to empty being accurate. ;)

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,276 Posts
I am at eco 89 with about 1300 miles on my 13. Indicated 39.5 mpg with about 90 to empty before filling up for the 3rd time.
My 11 had 471 when I sold it with 18474 miles on it. This one is so much better. No difference in driving style. The 13 comes on and stays in EV much more often and much longer in city driving than the 11. Crossing my fingers. I find that the indicated mpg is about 3.5 mpg optimistic.
Those are great numbers! I'm hoping this update for our cars will give us some better MPG and ECO numbers. I'm in the 300 range fro my ECO score and 9200 miles.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I am at eco 89 with about 1300 miles on my 13. Indicated 39.5 mpg with about 90 to empty before filling up for the 3rd time. My 11 had 471 when I sold it with 18474 miles on it. This one is so much better. No difference in driving style. The 13 comes on and stays in EV much more often and much longer in city driving than the 11. Crossing my fingers. I find that the indicated mpg is about 3.5 mpg optimistic.

Edit:

Correction (after I jumped in the car this morning) Eco is 90 with 1473 miles (still OK and much better than the 2011).

I just have this niggly feeling that these Eco numbers are about "feel good" and are not based in reality. After the poor mileage I had on my 2011 and what appears to be much better numbers right of out the box on the 2013, I guess I am a little skeptical. Don't look a gift horse (which I paid for btw) in the mouth, right?

The only number that really matters to me is the hand calculated mpg at the time of fill up and of course the distance to empty being accurate. ;)
219 at 7000km=4350 miles
so remltr, you had a 2011 hybrid & you traded it in for a 2013?? how do they compare?

·
Registered
650 Posts
219 at 7000km=4350 miles
so remltr, you had a 2011 hybrid & you traded it in for a 2013?? how do they compare?
Other than what appears to be much better mileage (my main reason for trading) they are very similar. On the 2011 I had the jerkiness on cold start during cold weather. None so far with the 2013, but to compare I will probably have to wait for cold weather, which has not occurred since owning the 2013.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I started this thread with the 2012, and now my 2013 has nearly 10,000 miles ECO score 491. Averaging about 40mpg 75% freeway 25% surface streets. No issues at all!

·
Registered
650 Posts
350 at 7800 miles

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm sure it's mentioned somewhere in these forums but when we bought the car on Jan 1st, a mechanic came up to us and said he owns the same car as what we were purchasing, a 2013 LX.
He found that using the cruise control even in the city helped a lot!
He was right. Our first tank of gas we averaged 39.3 and I used his method.
The 2nd tank I just drove it as usual for the most part and got an average of 32.
Back on using the CC as much as possible and I'm back up in the 38.5 range again with almost 0 freeway miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Hey fellow owners! 10,000 miles at 483. I looked back at my initial post and on the 2012 it was slightly less. Had the 2013 for 8 months now and avg 38 MPG; car has been great with no issues to report at all. Keep posting your results. Cheers,

101 - 120 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.