Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious why the heck Kia put that thing in there. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, go to your cars, and with the ignition OFF, depress the throttle all the way down (WOT), and then some more. You'll feel and hear a switch. I have one of those on my Porsche GTS PDK, and the main reason for its existence is in manual mode, if you click that switch, the tranny downshifts and upshifts like if you were in auto mode. The moment you stop depressing it, the tranny doesn't down or upshift automatically anymore. It's also required to activate launch control, but I never use it (no need). Anyway, I tried it on the SXL in manual mode, and it DOES NOT downshift. As you probably know, the SX automatically upshifts near redline even in manual mode (as expected, as it's no sports car). Then put it in auto mode, and when you depress the throttle to WOT (no switch), tranny downshifts to the lowest possible gear, so zero difference if you depress the switch or not. Hence my question: What the heck is it for? Doesn't do anything, as far as I can tell. And no, manual was no help (crap). Just curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
2018 Stinger GT2 AWD
115 Posts
Try an internet search to understand what it's for - this is a common feature of automatic transmissions. I wouldn't expect it to do anything in manual mode.

·
Registered
2017 KIA Optima
3,271 Posts
I think different manufacturers use it differently. I've read in some manual it gives you full power, in my Volvo T5 it will activate the over boost function to bump the torque to 280 from 258, haven't tried it on the hybrid yet or read it's manual fully to find out.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,816 Posts
This is not only on the SXL models, pretty sure it's on all models of Kia & Hyundai.

My Kia K900 has it, and if I remember correctly, my 2012 Kia Optima also had it as well.

I thought it was just to let you know that you've hit full throttle.

BMW has it on their cars as well. My BMW 335i & BMW M3 had the same thing.

·
Registered
2016 Optima SXL
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Try an internet search to understand what it's for.
I know exactly what it's SUPPOSED to be for (as my first post clearly explains), but my point is it's not doing absolutely anything on my car. Tried it from 3 different speeds, and both switch and no switch had the exact same results. Plus no kickdown in manual mode, which was strange. And no, the SXL does not have an overboost feature. And no again; not on all Hyundais and Kias have that switch because I have 2 Hyundais. At least not 2013s. My ex-Azera V6 didn't have it either. Anyway, wouldn't be surprised if it's not connected. One of these days will remove the throttle assembly and check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts