Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 KIA Optima Hybrid
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brought car in March 2018 with 55,000 miles for noises under the hood. Easy fix but they found metal chunks in oil pan. Not part of the 3-4 million non hybrid 2 4 L engine replacement recall but Kia said replace the engine. Didn't get car back until August 2018. Supposedly they replaced the engine block and remanufactured the cylinder head. The car had gotten 38 city/42 mpg highway before. Now gets 26- 28/36. Kia rejected my complaint about the mileage. Starting September 2019. (69,000 miles) car started experiencing delayed gear engagement at 10, 20 and 40 mph. The dealer test drove it without me; couldn't replicate problem, charged me $150. Last Sunday car wouldn't go forward in any gear. Only backward. Had it towed to dealer. They replaced the transmission. Asked for refund on $150 inaccurate diagnosis and $40 tow fee. Told transmissions problems are impossible to predict and call Kia about tow charge refund. We loved this car until March 2018. Now my wife is fearful it will crap out while were on a?road trip on some country road.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
4,195 Posts
Sorry to say, you aren't the first to experience a hybrid gas engine failure, but transmission failure is one part I've not heard of, but at least it was covered under the 10/100 powertrain warranty.
Tell the wife, new engine, new trans and you're go to go........at least for a while.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.