Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I missed this in the manual, but what happens when you walk away with the key from an Optima with the engine running? The manual mentioned an alarm chime, but I don't remember it mentioning if/when the engine shuts off and/or the doors lock, etc...

e.g., if I just need to run in to drop off some drycleaning and I leave my friend in the car with the engine running but I have the key, will the car shut off after a certain period of time? Will it keep running until it runs out of gas?

Does anyone have any information on this? Or did I just miss the section in the manual that addresses this question? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
18 Posts
well, mine will start beeping..
the longest time i left the car running and the key out of it almost 15 minutes.
the engine stays working but with a constant beeping

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know. Hm, I wonder what the actual cutoff time is. The constant beeping doesn't help if you're not in the car to hear the beeping, though I guess if someone else was in the car because you purposely left the car running, they could call you to let you know. But if you inadvertently left the car running, I wonder how long a thief would have to drive the car off before it just shut down? Does it gracefully shut off if the car is moving or does it just abruptly turn off the engine?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Assuming you have keyless start, the car won't turn off until you push the power button again no matter where the key is. So yes, if you left the car running and got out to do something, someone could drive away with it. They could get as far away as the gas tank would let them. They just couldn't turn the car back on after turns off. At least, that's how it is in Lexus systems

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Assuming you have keyless start, the car won't turn off until you push the power button again no matter where the key is. So yes, if you left the car running and got out to do something, someone could drive away with it. They could get as far away as the gas tank would let them. They just couldn't turn the car back on after turns off. At least, that's how it is in Lexus systems
I thought if the car doesn't detect presence of the key it will shut down once gears are shifted. Immobilizer maybe?
Only reason why I say this is because I've stepped out of my car numerous times (I keep forgetting it's keyless lol) and yes the beeping occurs on my info gauge it says "Key not present" or something along the lines of that, I forgot exactly what it says but, assuming the key is not in the car & the car knows it.. when someone tries to steal it, it'll shut down.. Just a thought.:confused:

·
Registered
179 Posts
The car will beep for about 5 seconds. It will not shut off at all, and anyone can drive away with it. They can continue to drive without a key until they run out of gas or the car is shut off. Of course once they shut off the car they will not be able to start again without the key. There is no immobilizer. The only warning after the beep is a message inside that reads "no key".

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The car will beep for about 5 seconds. It will not shut off at all, and anyone can drive away with it. They can continue to drive without a key until they run out of gas or the car is shut off. Of course once they shut off the car they will not be able to start again without the key. There is no immobilizer. The only warning after the beep is a message inside that reads "no key".
There is an immobilizer if it comes equipped w/your car. I know mine does.. But you're right about the driving away part I was trying to put two and two together. The Immobilizer will only kick in if it doesn't detect the key on start up.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
There is an immobilizer if it comes equipped w/your car. I know mine does.. But you're right about the driving away part I was trying to put two and two together. The Immobilizer will only kick in if it doesn't detect the key on start up.
Correct. There is a immobilizer to prevent the car from starting without the key, but there is no immobilizer to stop the engine without the key.

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think you can use this feature when valet parking. You keep the key and they get one chance to park the car (assuming they turn it off). Then, later, when you are ready to get your car you can give them the parking slip and the key. This would only work if they don't need to shuffle cars around in the lot because they wouldn't be able to re-start your car without getting your key.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know if that is so much a feature by design as it is an accidental byproduct of the keyless ignition. I haven't read anything in the manual or anywhere else about this as an intended feature.

So it seems like the consensus is that the car can be driven until it runs out of gas without the key as long as the key is present to start it. I wonder why they didn't implement a feature where the car can't be shifted out of Park without the key present.

·
Premium Member
2011 KIA Optima
1,749 Posts
The one qualifier everyone is missing in this thread, is that without the fob, i thought you can't shift it out of park. Anyone tried?

·
Registered
302 Posts
You can. Went to test drive an SX today. The salesman had the keys and I turned on the car and he got out to do something. I drove around to the front of the dealership without the keys in the car. Shifted from park to drive and drove around. All the car does is beep at you to tell you the keys are not in the vehicle

·
Registered
179 Posts
I don't know if that is so much a feature by design as it is an accidental byproduct of the keyless ignition. I haven't read anything in the manual or anywhere else about this as an intended feature.

So it seems like the consensus is that the car can be driven until it runs out of gas without the key as long as the key is present to start it. I wonder why they didn't implement a feature where the car can't be shifted out of Park without the key present.
The last 5 cars I've owned have been keyless ignition and they've all been designed the same way. I don't think it's a flaw.

·
Registered
86 Posts
May be its because if your passenger throws the fob out of the car at full speed, you could be killed and KIA doesnt want to be sued by your family!:confused:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The last 5 cars I've owned have been keyless ignition and they've all been designed the same way. I don't think it's a flaw.
To me, it's a flaw if the car can be driven away without the key AND if it's easily preventable. If the manufacturer designed it so that the car checked to see if the key was present before shifting out of park, that would seem to be a fairly simple solution (the car has to check to see if the key is in the car before turning on, so it's capable of doing that).

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
May be its because if your passenger throws the fob out of the car at full speed, you could be killed and KIA doesnt want to be sued by your family!:confused:
I don't think that would be an issue; the way I see it, the only issue is the car being able to shift out of Park when the key is not present. If the key disappears while the car is in gear, it would be fine until your put it in Park, at which point you wouldn't be able to move the car under its own power without a key.

·
Never Enough $$$$
132 Posts
I had a previous car that after start and if you went inside like I had before to figure this out; left the key in my coat inside, went out to drive away and the car turned off. I wonder if Kia can do a update on the map for the immobilizer to check for key when you reenter your vehicle. I can only imagine its a matter of time that someone turns their car on to warm up, goes back in the house to get their coffee or whatever, leaves their key somewhere. Then drives to work or wherever to find out that they can't restart their car due to the key being left at home.

In the many vehicles I have owned, every used car I have owned if they don't give me two keys, I have them give me one. It only took one time losing my car key for about a week, without having a second key in the safe at home. Having to buy a key is expensive, and a PAI. You must show proof of ownership, registration, and the key can not be mailed to you, you must pick it up for security reasons. BTW, the key lost was a BMW key and cost about $400. Never again will that happen.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts