Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kia is putting a brand new engine in my 2016 Optima SXL at their cost because of an issue with it. Local mechanic says I have to pay for a new serpentine belt and new water pump belt at the cost of $179.88 and $283.79 respectively. Why?? Aren't they a part of a brand new engine????

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
The engine doesn't come with accessories, or external parts, e.g. belt, pulleys, exhaust, intake, etc, but does have the water pump.
They will install the "used" units on the replacement engine and won't charge you anything without asking.
I never received a phone call as they just swapped everything over, so no cost incurred.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The engine doesn't come with accessories, or external parts, e.g. belt, pulleys, exhaust, intake, etc, but does have the water pump.
They will install the "used" units on the replacement engine and won't charge you anything without asking.
I never received a phone call as they just swapped everything over, so no cost incurred.
They are saying that both belts are showing wear & should be replaced. I have no problem with paying for the belts, BUT the greatest expense is the LABOR. If they have to remove the old ones to put on new engine anyway, why should I have to be paying hundreds of dollars in labor because they are putting new ones instead of removing and installing the old ones???

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry, forgot to address this before. The water pump is run by the serpentine belt. Not sure what the 2 belt prices are for. Should be able to pick the belt up from any auto part store for cheap. Think I got mine for like $12 or $15. Just looked and yours is under $30 from what I saw.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
They have a dedicated WP belt, but depends on the price of the belts, and as I didn't see any estimate, maybe they aren't charging labor, just the parts price.
The 2 belts list for $82, discount $54, but one can purchase aftermarket belts for @ $23 to $50 for both, but will need to do the job yourself, sometimes a pain
if unfamiliar with the job..

·
Registered
2012 Kia Optima 2012 Kia Optima LX
33 Posts
It sounds like your KIA dealer is not doing the replacement. Is that correct?

·
Registered
2013 Optima
10 Posts
Kia replaced the engine in my 2013 LX. The only part I had to pay for was the starter, as it was on its last legs. The car had 130K at the time of engine replacement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts