Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rented a Hyundai a couple years ago when in vegas, noticed road noise was pronounced, especially with compared to what I ususally drove then, a 2001 4runner, super quite on road.

Not I really notice the same on the optima, sure on some roads it is quite, but not on all, in fact on many road noise really comes thru load and clear.

Kia, if you're listening, this is what need some work. Stop with all the bells, whistles and flashy stuff, get the basics like a reliable vehicle with good sound insulation done first. There I said it.

Reactions: Kia4

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Agreed, and something I also noticed was how it gets worse as the tires wear out. When I got new tires, I was shocked how much quieter the ride was in comparison.

But there is nothing you can do about the windows.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know, that may prompt me to replace tires sooner. 2 of mine have made it to the Yellow section on tire guage. Windows are OK quite, even the sunroof up or down, it is quite.

Roadnoise sometimes is quite (new smooth road) and others, to me, is quite noticeable and changes back and forth every few seconds to make is even more noticeable, haha!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
Have you ever noticed quiet or noise relative to the road composition you're on?
My SXL & Yokohamas are really quite on good asphalt but the asphalt with embedded rocks is noisier, and add pock marks from age and it's worse. Concrete is fairly quiet.
In this Forum I've read of quiet tires and noisy tires and I think brand/models do matter with noise. High-miles tires always are noisier for me.
Real question is ? thousands more for car/model to get quiet and what does That car sound like on rock-embedded asphalt with pock marks. The '16 SXL is supposed to have extra sound deadening material but I have no A/B reference to judge.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, some roads are super quite, so the vehicle is capable of that yet some roads are really noisy. I do have 3 tires in the yellow so new tires will most likely help, turn the stereo up in the meantime. As I mentioned above, I drove a Tucson a while back, very nice, except for the road noise which even my '01 4runner does better at.

I see you use 20K oil, guessing your OCI isn't that long? I also use 20K, except the mobil 1 variety, I still can't bring myself to go past 5 or even 7.5K with a high mileage filter too (purolator boss), haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts