Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who all has guns out there in Optima world?

Myself its a PT1911AR (Taurus 1911 with Rails), Henry Repeating Arms 22LR Golden Boy, and a Mossberg Maverick 88.

The 1911 is actually my newest, should be at the shop monday. The Maverick is a super inexpensive ($120) pump 12ga for home defense. The Henry is my first collector gun. Engraved from my Grandpa from 2002 on 24k gold trim.

I'm eager to get the 1911, I haven't fired a 45acp yet, but I have fired a 30-06 (My first rifle that I sold).

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went to the range earlier today. Today I was shooting my Kahr CW9, which is my carry piece. I really like that gun. Eventually I want to get a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45acp but that's out of my price range at the moment. I also have a Remington 870 tactical for home defense and a Ruger 10/22 for plinking.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want to get a Kimber Ultra Carry in .45acp but that's out of my price range at the moment.
Nice gun, I was looking at Kimber, however the price is not quite justifiable as I've never owned a pistol yet, just rifles and shot guns. So to ease into pistols I'm starting inexpensive, then I'll move up.

I'll most likely get a .22LR conversion kit down the road for my 1911 and do some plinking for it, then go back to the .45acp for personal defense on the road.

I've got a class scheduled next month for a conceal carry license.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
The Springfield is the nicest gun I've ever fired. Barely any recoil, straight as an arrow.

I recently got rid of the glock, forgot to remove that from the list. No carbon buildup while I had it though. I just hated how bad the frame shook/vibrated when I shot it.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
46 Posts
Who has the guns?

I have the following in my arsenal:
1862 Richmond Arsenal Rifled musket .58 cal.
1841 Mississippi Rifle .58 cal.
1856 Maynard's patent cavalry carbine .50 cal.
1858 Remington revolver .44 cal.
1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle .54 cal.
1862 Cook & Bro. Cavalry carbine .58 cal.
1903 Springfield
1869 Springfield .50/70
1881 Smith & Wesson revolver, birds head grip

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the following in my arsenal:
1862 Richmond Arsenal Rifled musket .58 cal.
1841 Mississippi Rifle .58 cal.
1856 Maynard's patent cavalry carbine .50 cal.
1858 Remington revolver .44 cal.
1854 Austrian Lorenz rifle .54 cal.
1862 Cook & Bro. Cavalry carbine .58 cal.
1903 Springfield
1869 Springfield .50/70
1881 Smith & Wesson revolver, birds head grip
Lots of classics, I hope you still fire some of them! Your youngest gun is a hundred years older than my oldest gun! haha

PS you should put up a pic of some of them, curious to see the .58 Musket (Assuming its black powder right?)

·
Registered
121 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
My first was a Beretta A303 12 12 gauge. I loved it. Then a AR-22, I liked it but I traded it for a Beretta 92 FS. I also have a FN 45 pistol. My next purchase is a FN FAL.

I'm in school for Homeland Security so I am hoping to be able to carry my 92 FS as my service weapon, but we'll see.

·
Former Administrator
2011 K5 Turbo
6,926 Posts
How do you like the PPK/S? I almost sold my Kahr and picked one of those up a few days ago
One of my favorite guns, and it's also the one I carry most days.

The downside - It doesn't like Gold Dot HP law enforcement ammo. :( Jams up when I try and use it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Springfield XD 9mm Compact

This is my first handgun, and got it a few months ago. I dig the extra capacity magazine that doubles as a grip extender, which makes it a normal size grip.

·
Registered
121 Posts

The downside - It doesn't like Gold Dot HP law enforcement ammo. :( Jams up when I try and use it.
Ahh that sucks. Gold Dot is quality. My Kahr really seems to like Federal Hydra-Shok JHP so that's usually what I keep in it.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Munky said:

The downside - It doesn't like Gold Dot HP law enforcement ammo. Jams up when I try and use it.
Ahh that sucks. Gold Dot is quality. My Kahr really seems to like Federal Hydra-Shok JHP so that's usually what I keep in it.
Hope my 1911 isn't this finicky, I got a Taurus, so the tolerances aren't as tight as say a Springfield or Kimber, should take ammo like a pro.

However, I'm used to only firing 12ga rounds that are walmart special(s), with a $100 gun (Maverick 88) i wasn't worried. However with the 1911 I am.

Whats good .45acp ammunition?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hope my 1911 isn't this finicky, I got a Taurus, so the tolerances aren't as tight as say a Springfield or Kimber, should take ammo like a pro.

However, I'm used to only firing 12ga rounds that are walmart special(s), with a $100 gun (Maverick 88) i wasn't worried. However with the 1911 I am.

Whats good .45acp ammunition?
If you're gonna carry the gun, I'd stick with the premium brands for self defense ammo: federal, hornady and speer are 3 that I like. As far as going to the range/target shooting....use I'd use whatever the cheapest thing is that your gun likes and works well with because .45 isn't cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's the only place I get my ammo now, the cheapest I could find delivered to my door.
Thanks, I ordered 500 rounds of Federal Competition rounds and 20 Hollow Points for home protection. Should arrive at the same time the pistol does.

Going to be making a Dualing Tree Target from some scrap steel we have at work. AR500 should do the trick just fine. Heat treat it with some welds to Hydraulic High Carbon Steel tubes.

I'll post picks when I get it done, finding scrap takes time if I want it free :cool:

1 - 20 of 281 Posts