Kia Optima Forums banner

1221 - 1240 of 1260 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I realize I paid too much. I didn't negotiate at all. Never have when buying a car. I normally lease and given the monthly payment is lower, as long as it fit my budget, I was happy. Well financing is a whole other can of worms. I got taken. around $32,00 for the EX with premium sound and premium interior. I don't know how much I could have paid for it. I have never learned how to negotiate. I need to take someone with me that knows how to do this and someone I can learn from. I did tell them to throw in the all weather mats, which they did do but I am sure I could have gotten at least a grand off, if not more. I really needed a car given my lease was up and, for some reason, I always want to believe they are giving me the best price. It is as if I turn into an idiot the minute I walk into a car dealer. They must pump something into the air....

In all honestly, I couldn't believe how nice the car was for that price. My Lexus IS was 10K more and didn't have some of the features the EX has. So, I guess I figured I was already getting a good deal. But I could have gotten an even better one.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

In regards to the no spare tire, same here. I couldn't believe it wasn't in there. Never had a car without a spare. So strange. I didn't even think to look. I mean, how many people think about a spare, especially when every car they have bought has had one? Plus, I have never had a flat (knock on wood) so never actually needed it. I am going to spring for it though because, with my luck, I will get a flat now that I don't have a spare. I have roadside assistance but without a spare, what are they going to do?
Hey man, do not sweat the price.

If you like the car then all is good.

I bet you did not pay an extreme amount more than anyone else.

Some people will brag that they got the same car for about $10k less blah blah, in reality they probably paid more than you did.

Sound like you got a nice car overall.:D

How loaded is your EX?

·
(Formerly "shadow")
65 Posts
I'm looking to buy a used 2013 SXL (Ebony Black), with 30K miles on it. They are asking $20,000 for it.
I currently own a 2012, fully loaded EX with 50K miles on it. They want to give me $12K for trade in.
Is this a good deal?
Any advice / suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
First of all, I hope you're buying a Certified Pre-Owned otherwise you could be taking a real gamble if it's from some Used Car Sales lot.

Sounds like they're giving you alot for your EX but making you pay full monty on the SXL. If the SXL price was originally $20K then they would probably take $17-18K depending what they've got tied up in it. But that's only gonna happen without a Trade-in. When you're trading in your always going to take a hit because they're not making much of anything until they sell your car.

Don't buy someone elses headache - make sure it's a CPO with one owner and ask to see records/history.

Good luck!

·
Registered
91 Posts
You DEFINITELY got ripped. 32K for a an EX??? Ouch man. I paid 33K out the door for my 2014 SXL thanks to Truecar. You know, the 2016 SXL is going for about 29K through Truecar right now around my area. You should check yours and grabbed that deal. Sorry for the 32K but you got manhandled.

I realize I paid too much. I didn't negotiate at all. Never have when buying a car. I normally lease and given the monthly payment is lower, as long as it fit my budget, I was happy. Well financing is a whole other can of worms. I got taken. around $32,00 for the EX with premium sound and premium interior. I don't know how much I could have paid for it. I have never learned how to negotiate. I need to take someone with me that knows how to do this and someone I can learn from. I did tell them to throw in the all weather mats, which they did do but I am sure I could have gotten at least a grand off, if not more. I really needed a car given my lease was up and, for some reason, I always want to believe they are giving me the best price. It is as if I turn into an idiot the minute I walk into a car dealer. They must pump something into the air....

In all honestly, I couldn't believe how nice the car was for that price. My Lexus IS was 10K more and didn't have some of the features the EX has. So, I guess I figured I was already getting a good deal. But I could have gotten an even better one.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 AM ----------

In regards to the no spare tire, same here. I couldn't believe it wasn't in there. Never had a car without a spare. So strange. I didn't even think to look. I mean, how many people think about a spare, especially when every car they have bought has had one? Plus, I have never had a flat (knock on wood) so never actually needed it. I am going to spring for it though because, with my luck, I will get a flat now that I don't have a spare. I have roadside assistance but without a spare, what are they going to do?
---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Actually that car is really worth 25K.. he got ripped

Hey man, do not sweat the price.

If you like the car then all is good.

I bet you did not pay an extreme amount more than anyone else.

Some people will brag that they got the same car for about $10k less blah blah, in reality they probably paid more than you did.

Sound like you got a nice car overall.:D

How loaded is your EX?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Leased a 2016 EX premium (nav, pano roof, ventilated seats, etc.) For $252/mo with $2500 down

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
2012 SX with 36k miles. Paid $20k with the warranty and everything. Maybe I paid too much but I've never spent that on a car anyways so I guess that doesn't really matter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Picked up a white '16 Optima SX with tech package over the weekend - $28,598 plus TTL. If anyone else in Texas is shopping around, I highly recommend contacting Hung Pham at Joe Myers Kia outside of Houston. Noone else came close to the price I got (and a few other dealers told me the price was too good to be true). That price was with no trade, no rebates other than the regular Kia $2500 off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
That's why it makes sense to stay away from stealerships and buy used instead, let the other guy get hosed on initial depreciation and pay all the dealer prep fees, doc fees, conveyance fees, additional dealer markup fees, $600 whiff of scotchgard fees and $500 thin vinyl stripe fees. There's always deals to be had if you live in a reasonably large city - people downsizing, upsizing, upgrading, etc and wanting to get a few bucks more than a typical stealership would pay them.

You DEFINITELY got ripped. 32K for a an EX??? Ouch man. I paid 33K out the door for my 2014 SXL thanks to Truecar. You know, the 2016 SXL is going for about 29K through Truecar right now around my area. You should check yours and grabbed that deal. Sorry for the 32K but you got manhandled.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Actually that car is really worth 25K.. he got ripped

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Picked up a white '16 Optima SX with tech package over the weekend - $28,598 plus TTL. If anyone else in Texas is shopping around, I highly recommend contacting Hung Pham at Joe Myers Kia outside of Houston. Noone else came close to the price I got (and a few other dealers told me the price was too good to be true). That price was with no trade, no rebates other than the regular Kia $2500 off.
You got an excellent deal - great negotiating! :thumbsup:

Is the Salesman's middle name Lo by any chance? :lol:

·
Registered
79 Posts
You got an excellent deal - great negotiating! :thumbsup:
Thanks, although it really didn't take a lot of negotiating! They gave me a price of 28,998 without even haggling, and I got the extra few hundred off in the end. I think the 2nd best price I got quoted within about a 3 hour drive was 30,500. Quite a few other dealers said the deal I got offered would be "smoke and mirrors" and all this stuff when I showed up in person. Happy to report Joe Myers Kia was completely honest about the price - no changes whatsoever when I showed up to sign the paperwork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
2014 Optima LX. I bought it in May 2016 with 40,000 kilometres (25000 miles) on the odo. Just stumbled upon it unadvertised in the used lot of my local Kia dealer. It had just been traded in the day prior.

Walked into the dealer. Asked about the price. $21,000 Canadian dollars. YIKES!

I had done a huge amount of research prior to this and found a 2015 Optima LX with 55,000 kilometres for $14,900CAD at a different dealer using Kijiji (Canada version of Craigslist).

I showed the salesman the ad. Told him I have cash in hand, said 'I AM buying an Optima - either this one in the ad, or the one in your lot. You have new price?'

He gets up, goes to speak with his manager, comes back at me with a new price - $14,500CAD plus free oil changes for as long as I own the car.

BOOM! Took it for a test drive. Handed over cash. Signed all papers. Drove off into the sunset.

·
(Formerly "shadow")
65 Posts
This past weekend I traded in my 2012 EX (fully loaded) with 53K miles on it, and bought a 2013 SXL (30K miles).
Below are the details:

Trade in 2012 EX : $11,500 (I owed bank $10,000)
2013 SXL : $17,900 + 1350 (Tax + Title + Registration).

1221 - 1240 of 1260 Posts
About this Discussion
1.3K Replies
588 Participants
Irongoats
Kia Optima Forums
Optima Forums is the community to discuss the Kia Optima as well as custom Kias and all the accessories to personalize your Kia!
Full Forum Listing