Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 optima ex with 130k miles on it. I purchased it with 60k and it’s been a great car. The time has come that a lot of the suspension parts should be replaced. Parts like the CV axles , struts , inner and outer tie rods , ball joints , end links etc.

I’m thinking of sticking with OEM parts as I don’t want to sacrifice the ride quality but as you know the parts are somewhat pricey. I was curios what aftermarket suspension parts some of you have used and had good luck with? Any help is appreciated

· Registered
227 Posts
I have KYB loaded struts, rear shocks, Moog sway bar links and Moog front control arms installed on my '12 SX. So far so good. I still have the same KYB struts and shocks on my Lincoln MK VII that I installed 20 years ago. I have had bad luck with NAPA rebuilt calipers that seized up after 18 months of use. I went to new Mando oem calipers. I also have Akebono brake pads on the front. They come highly recommended. All are very reasonably priced on RockAuto.com

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have KYB loaded struts, rear shocks, Moog sway bar links and Moog front control arms installed on my '12 SX. So far so good. I still have the same KYB struts and shocks on my Lincoln MK VII that I installed 20 years ago. I have had bad luck with NAPA rebuilt calipers that seized up after 18 months of use. I went to new Mando oem calipers. I also have Akebono brake pads on the front. They come highly recommended. All are very reasonably priced on RockAuto.com
I appreciate the info! For the KYB struts did you buy the loaded ones that come with their own springs or did you use your OEM Kia springs on the kyb struts? I’ve heard if you don’t use your old springs the front of the car sits higher then the rear

· Registered
227 Posts
I appreciate the info! For the KYB struts did you buy the loaded ones that come with their own springs or did you use your OEM Kia springs on the kyb struts? I’ve heard if you don’t use your old springs the front of the car sits higher then the rear
I bought the loaded struts, actually hoping they would raise the front a little but the height was exactly at the stock dimension. With this bolt in part you get all the rubber pieces and dust shields along with the new spring.

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the loaded struts, actually hoping they would raise the front a little but the height was exactly at the stock dimension. With this bolt in part you get all the rubber pieces and dust shields along with the new spring.
That’s good to know - would you say the car rides close to OEM quality? I’ve been nervous to buy aftermarket suspension parts because I don’t want a rough ride but the OEM struts and cv axles etc are pretty pricey

· Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,743 Posts
That’s good to know - would you say the car rides close to OEM quality? I’ve been nervous to buy aftermarket suspension parts because I don’t want a rough ride but the OEM struts and cv axles etc are pretty pricey
I tried two different brands of struts and they both were stock height. Another option, if you want to reduce the harshness of the ride, is to use tires with slightly taller sidewalls. I did that change and it's worth keeping. I have an SX model where the sport suspension is a little stiffer, and putting on the 225/50-18 size tires makes the ride noticeably softer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts