Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2020 version of this Optima. I want to either paint or vinyl wrap this section of the roof in the red outline. Who here has done this? Is it better to paint.. or is it better to vinyl wrap? I’ve never done anything like this before so I would love to hear some recommendations.. and if possible, an estimate on costs? Thank you!

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,769 Posts
Have you considered "dipping" or using rubberized spray coating? The popular brand is Plasti Dip, but I think there are other options now. My apologies if you already rejected this option, but figured maybe someone out there hasn't seen it.

What's great about dipping is you can just try it out yourself to see how a color looks using a rattle-can spray, then remove it if you don't like it. It peels off like rubber. Sort of a poor-man's vinyl coating, but rubberized. You can dip your logos too, maybe you've seen cars around with blacked-out logos?

I'm using it to black out the silver parts of my car, and the plasti dip is still lasting for hmm like 6 years now? I'm going to try dipping a black rubber liner around my rear windows, because that one rubber part seems to whiten on its surface, unlike the other rubber window parts that haven't seemed to change color over the years. Currently I haven't tried dipping on top of factory rubber, but I have done it on the painted surfaces, the chrome, and plastic.

There is even a guy who professionally dips cars:

DipYourCar - World Famous Peelable Auto Paint

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I have not considered that. I will look into it. I am not too handy I would probably pay someone to do it, just for peace of mind.

I’m actually considering it just getting someone, a body shop maybe to paint the roof pillars gloss black.. along with the side mirrors. I just wonder What something like that could cost....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the 2020 version of this Optima. I want to either paint or vinyl wrap this section of the roof in the red outline. Who here has done this? Is it better to paint.. or is it better to vinyl wrap? I’ve never done anything like this before so I would love to hear some recommendations.. and if possible, an estimate on costs? Thank you!

View attachment 248621

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had mine wrapped, I really like how it came out.
That looks AMAZING! I see you also got the visors covering up the chrome. Smart! This is exactly what I want to do wrap wise..... along with getting that spoiler. Which spoiler is that?

If you don't mind me asking.. how much did you pay for the wrap job, since it's pretty much what I am wanting to get done. I have gotten quotes from $350... down to $150. Thanks for that pic!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have my appointment set for Sep 8th to have the rest of my roof blacked out with gloss vinyl wrap to go along with the pano sunroof. Only charging $150, plus tax. I don't think that's too bad for that little section of pillars up top on down to the sides of the windshield on my white 20 Optima EX. I literally have had quotes from $650 on down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts