Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a snow pearl white, 2020 Optima EX premium. My current car is a 2014 Optima EX that I am going to give my daughter. I am just curious, for those who have negotiated and purchased this model, or any recent model for that matter... how much can you reasonably expect to get off? Here is the dealer pricing from their website... which is lower than most other dealers around me:

Detailed Pricing
MSRP$31,545
Dealer Discount*-$7,814
Dealer Price $23,731

I would love to hear from others, what I can potentially expect to get the final price down to... down from the $23K price. I’d love to get it down to $20K, but not sure if that’s crazy thinking. I currently have about $3 to put down. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
What is the breakdown of the "Dealer Discount"--is it (or does it) include one or more Kia offers (e.g., they currently have a $4K Customer Cash retail promo going on among other various incentives so I'm guessing the $4K is part of that $7814 dealer discount)? Might want to make sure you qualify for the entire $7814 discount before you start running numbers in your head.

What you should try to do is negotiate what you're willing to pay (before TTL) off of the MSRP (invoice on the 2020 EX Premium is ~$30401 including the SWP premium, give or take depending on what additional dealer-installed options (if any) are included in the specific vehicle you're looking at), THEN have the dealer apply any and all applicable "dealer discounts". Given that you're looking to get your buy-in price down to $20K, you're gonna have to negotiate another $2K off invoice to get it down to $20K--not completely impossible but not a slam dunk either.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I would quality for the price they have offered currently, including the discounts.. which that price is $23,371. Stupid question, but from others expertises, is that alone a pretty good price (before any additional negotiations take place)?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
Put it this way--what do YOU feel comfortable with or otherwise are willing to pay? You have nothing to lose but time if you really want to get it down to $20K; I'd say maybe $21K might be reasonable to both parties.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I did go back and forth with one dealer today. We both kind of cut to the chase. He gave me an out the door price which includes, tax, title, etc etc... $26,200. I’m putting 4K down. Already have my financing in place. Just need to check out the car in the next day or two. So, I feel good about that, unless someone tells me I am an idiot and I could get it ALOT cheaper...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
What was the final pre-TTL price? Need to know that to be able to tell you if you're an idiot for not being able to get it for a lot cheaper--LOL j/k! Congrats on your pending purchase!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Actually.. check this out. Another dealer, I worked with, has it down to this. So, if dealer A doesn't match this, then I will head to dealer B. This is out the door pricing, taxes, fees, etc included. Thoughts?

SALE PRICE $28,450
REBATES -$5,000
SUB TOTAL $23,450
TAXES $1865.50
TITLE AND LICENSE $48.50
DEALER PROCESSING FEE $250
GRAND TOTAL AMOUNT $25,614
If I am an idiot.. I would love to know. lol

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
Wow--I get it that dealer processing fees may vary from dealer to dealer (or state to state), but $250? Mine was only $80...

Having said that, if indeed dealer B will honor the sales price as quoted, you would come out slightly ahead as far as the sales tax amount goes since you'd be charged sales tax on $28450 vs. $31545--but then again I don't know how it is in your state as far as whether sales tax is calculated on the pre- or post-discounted total. Sounds like dealer B may be the one to go with, not unless you can get dealer A to lower his MSRP sale price (to reduce the amount of sales tax you'd have to pay) and still throw in the full $7814 discount.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the car is acquired. $26550, out the door price. No major complaints, which I could of did a little better, but again, I'm pretty happy. Put some money down so not financing that much.. gave my daughter my 14 EX. She is happy.

The only thing I don't think I have, is the option to open my garage door with my 2020. I think my 14, which I bought used, came with Homelink, which allowed me to use the rearview mirror button to open my garage door.. and I think now, if I wanted that option, I would of had to add homelink to my 2020.. which no one ever offered. Unless there is another way to program the garage door opening feature somewhere in the vehicle...

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,164 Posts
Congrats on your purchase! Like I said, in the end it all comes down to what you feel comfortable paying--it's not like it's some sort of contest to see who can get the lowest price for a vehicle. Yeah Homelink is not even a factory-installed option on Optimas--I got lucky in finding an SXL that had the dealer-installed Homelink mirror. If you're willing to install it yourself or know of a local mechanic who can do it for you, you can simply buy the correct mirror from a third-party vendor (or Kia dealer if you're willing to pay dealer retail pricing). I think there's another thread in this forum where another forum member bought the mirror and installed it himself--the key is to purchase the correct Homelink mirror specific for the Optima so that it plugs into the wiring harness without any modification.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! Yeah, I hear you. I am happy with it. Such a smooth ride. Funny how now when I get into (now my daughter’s) 2014 Optima EX, how dated it looks.

And thanks for the info related to the homelink option. It didn’t hit me until I got home with the vehicle, that my new car didn’t have that Option, like the 2014. But, I just picked up a 25 dollar remote, and all is well again in the world!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts