Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
As stated above, drive the car but it will be limited to 2000 RPM.
Here's the basics from Kia:
This will help to reduce further damage to the engine and ensure the vehicle occupants are not exposed to the risk of a more severe engine failure. At that time, a diagnostic trouble code (P1326 – Knock Plausibility) specific to the KSDS will be recorded in the ECU. The vehicle can continue to be operated for a limited time in the Limp Home Mode, but it will accelerate slowly and have reduced maximum speed. Also, engine speed will be reduced to approximately 1,800-2,000 RPM.

Friend had the 1326 come on 4 hrs from home, but drove it back home in limp mode then to the dealership where they installed a new engine.

If they decide a new engine is needed they will give a paid loaner, no cash outlay.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Quick update. Drove the car into the shop, that was a pain in the ass through town btw. Anyways, I ended up getting it there Thursday night for a Friday morning appointment. Got a call at about 2pm on Friday that it is the Knock Sensor that is bad, but that parts won't be in until sometime late next week and that of course it is covered under warranty. They also said to come in and get a loaner car in the morning. Sounds good to me! Except, now like others have posted, I don't feel confident taking this car on long journey's, which is one of the reasons I purchased the vehicle in the first place. I'd hate to be on vacation in Florida, and the engine give out or knock sensor give out.

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
72 Posts
Quick update. Drove the car into the shop, that was a pain in the ass through town btw. Anyways, I ended up getting it there Thursday night for a Friday morning appointment. Got a call at about 2pm on Friday that it is the Knock Sensor that is bad, but that parts won't be in until sometime late next week and that of course it is covered under warranty. They also said to come in and get a loaner car in the morning. Sounds good to me! Except, now like others have posted, I don't feel confident taking this car on long journey's, which is one of the reasons I purchased the vehicle in the first place. I'd hate to be on vacation in Florida, and the engine give out or knock sensor give out.
Enjoy your trips. Don’t worry about it. Anything can happen to any car at any time. I have a 14 optima and just bought a new Tahoe. Well after reading some forums the lifters are crap and can fail at any time. It doesn’t stop me from taking it on road trips. Life is too short to worry about things like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Good news and I agree, just drive it, go from there, and if it happens worrying about the potential problems isn't going to help. Many engines have let go far from home, and each year when we go to Florida it's on my mind, especially a backup plan.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts