Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it has been raining, a lot, here in the Metro East St. Louis area overnight... It was a normal morning for me... woke up at 4:20am, showered, put uniform on, left for work... Then the problems started...

On my way to work, on a dark, desolate stretch of roadway, it happened... I drove directly into about 3-4 feet deep, approximately 100ft wide body of water that was covering the roadway, at 50 mph... It was like hitting a brick wall... Luckily I was able to get myself out of it, but the damage was done.. I thought I was in the clear as I got out of that lake, the car was running fine, lights, radio, etc. were all working. No issues...

That is until I got about 2 miles down the road... I figured if I would have any issues, it would be electrical... Nope... The check engine light begins to continuously flash, and the car starts to stutter... RPMs won't go above 2,000... I manage to "limp" this damaged beast to work about 5 miles away...

I hook up my trusty OBDII reader, and get the following code... P1326, which according to google is the dreaded KSDS Code... I don't know if something got wet inside my engine compartment, or if the impact maybe screwed something up internally.. I parked the Kia in our police department garage and inspected under the hood. It appears that it is mostly dry, which is odd considering the deepness of the water... I left it inside with the hood open. It should sit about 10 hours while I am working...

My question is, could there be a sensor that may have gotten wet that could cause this, and not the actual rod bearings vibrating? I am hoping for the best that it dries out and runs properly, but am expecting the worse... Also is something like this covered by insurance? I can't imagine the warranty covering this...

Thanks in advance for any help or comments. I appreciate it...

Ticked off cop in Illinois

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Well, first I'd like to say, don't envy your line of work, but got to give you all the credit in the world for doing a job that's under scrutiny 24 hrs. a day.

Back to the Kia. There have been times that the 1326 is triggered and there isn't a problem with the engine as the sensor hears something and sets the code. With the code set, the car is driveable but in limp mode, but once again that doesn't indicate the engine is damaged. No noise that's good.

Personally, if there was no water penetration in the intake which I don't believe there would be with the factory unit being as high as it is, I'd take it to the dealership and let them look at the car and just tell them that driving in the heavy rain the cel came on.

Just to ease your mind, if there was water penetration into the engine, water doesn't compress and the car would have died right then and there.

Good luck and easy on the tickets today.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah it feels like it is running fine, and it ran fine for about 2 miles after the water incident. engine mileage didnt take a hit, and it actually increased 2/10ths a mile. Engine sounds fine, starts right up without issue. No other lights are on. I did open the air filter box, and it was wet inside there, but not like a pool of water or anything. My K+N filter must have gotten wet because the water was red like the filter.

I am hoping all it is is a sensor or something minor. There is grass and stuff stuck all over the bottom of the car where the plastic shrouds all connect, and a little inside the engine compartment... Gonna be hard to say it was only rain lol

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did notice this when I opened up the air filter box. I do have a K+N filter that I recently recharged, and may have oversprayed. I am thinking it was excess that dripped into the box, and got a little wet in all this water mess..... I checked OIL and it looks good.

Oh and some good news, I started it up to move it back a little bit... No flashing light and seemed to run like normal.... Weird eh?

20200111_110806_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
CEL still on? Many over oil the K&N filters, so you're not the first. Have seen some use so much oil the engine stops running when it hits the maf sensor.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, an update to this. On my way home, car was running great, no problems, until I got about half way home, then the check engine light started flashing again, and I lost power... Argh!

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thing its going to be in upper 50s on my days off, i can jack up the car and get as much crap out as I can.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
1,699 Posts
Let us know how you make out with the problem.
With my problem, Kia rose to the occasion and without any debate, did an engine replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am hoping it is just a sensor, the engine ran like a champ for the ten miles or so before the light came back on

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have or know if the 2015 Optima is covered by any campaigns that deal with the knock sensor?

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hopefully KIA covers the towing, my dealer is about 20 miles from my house and I don't really want to drive that far in limp mode if I do not have to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kia has had problems with the KSDS harness and has a recall on them. I have a 2018 Optima EX and had the ECU upgrade for the KSDS installed in January last year. Within 2 weeks the engine failed and the fix was to replace the KSDS sensor harness per a campaign notice.

I think there is a good chance the water has penetrated your KSDS harness or a connector.

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, my dealer, Auffenberg of O'Fallon, IL will not tow the vehicle and said I would have to pay diagnostic charges to find out what is wrong, even though the code is P1326 (which is the specific code for the Knock Sensor).. They also said they will not provide a loaner car. I am half tempted to drive the POS to their dealer, and hope to god it blows the **** up on the way.

I called KIA support, they told me I have to pay to have it towed and if it is related to this issue, they will reimburse me.

Has anyone had experience with this? Did they reimburse them quickly? Also, if a rental was required, did you have to pay up front and get reimbursed, or did KIA make the arrangements?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2015 Optima EX
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Kia has had problems with the KSDS harness and has a recall on them. I have a 2018 Optima EX and had the ECU upgrade for the KSDS installed in January last year. Within 2 weeks the engine failed and the fix was to replace the KSDS sensor harness per a campaign notice.

I think there is a good chance the water has penetrated your KSDS harness or a connector.
Hopefully that is covered...

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
72 Posts
Well, my dealer, Auffenberg of O'Fallon, IL will not tow the vehicle and said I would have to pay diagnostic charges to find out what is wrong, even though the code is P1326 (which is the specific code for the Knock Sensor).. They also said they will not provide a loaner car. I am half tempted to drive the POS to their dealer, and hope to god it blows the **** up on the way.

I called KIA support, they told me I have to pay to have it towed and if it is related to this issue, they will reimburse me.

Has anyone had experience with this? Did they reimburse them quickly? Also, if a rental was required, did you have to pay up front and get reimbursed, or did KIA make the arrangements?

Thanks in advance!
Drive it. Can be driven in limp mode. Nothing states vehicle needs to be towed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Kia Optima
72 Posts

I heard about the sensor harness creating false positives. I had mine done when I first received the letter. Never had a problem with a code popping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts