Kia Optima Forums banner

WeatherTech Vent Visors

21K views 68 replies 30 participants last post by  john`stamos 
#1 ·
WeatherTech is finally offering their In Channel Vent Visors for the Optima. The only problem is that they will not be available until late July. I guess they need my $119.00 in their account more than I do.

Car I.D. also does not have them in stock. They claim to need 4-5 days of "Production Time". What does that mean? They don't manufacture them. They want to hold your money, too. Oh well. July will be here soon enough.

Has anyone found In Channel Vent Visors that are really available?

Thanks,

StoneOLD

#3 ·
I purchased my set through the WeatherTech website right after I bought the car. It did take about 2 and a half weeks to receive the item but the install is really simple and the quality is very good. The visors I received were made in Germany but still stamped with the WeatherTech logo.

One piece of advice to anyone installing these, the front edge of the visors for the driver and passenger door has a slightly sharp edge to it. This, coupled with the soft weather seal at the base of the front windows, can cause nicks in the weather seal. The nicks did not penetrate through the seal and are not noticeable when the visors are installed but just be cautious if you are super anal about every little detail (like I am).

#5 ·
Do the vent visors interfere with the operation of the windows?

On my last car, the window hit the edge of the vent visor anytime I would close the windows. I also found the windows starting operating really slow after a few years of having these. They also slightly damaged the weather seal as hittman4life has noted above.

I'm on the fence as to whether I will get these for the Optima.

#7 ·
Do the vent visors interfere with the operation of the windows?
When I first installed them I thought that they were going to have to come off because of the interface but after letting the car sit (as they suggested) there is only a slight click as the window rolls up. For me, it is a fair trade off because I don't like the stick on type.

I have pictures of the visors in my profile.

#8 ·
I had them on my previous vehicle, an 04 SRT-4 and have to say they look much better then the stick on type ones but as many have mentioned they do damage the weather strip in the front part by the mirror over time and in my case one of the back window ones became loose and would slip down out of the channel a little whenever I opened that window...I won't be getting them again for my Optima...

#9 ·
I haven't had a problem with any of our previous sets becoming loose but I can understand the concern.

I purchased them because of the water/dew runoff that would come into the car with the window cracked.

#13 · (Edited)
I bought the WeatherTech Channel Vent Visors for my '12 SX. I have used WeatherTech before on other cars/trucks, they work and look great, much better, I think than the "stick on" type.
Here in Arizona, I like to leave the windows down a bit to help vent the car a little due to the 115 degree temps in the summer. I can do this and you can't tell the windows are open!
Back when I lived in Illinois, they came in handy when it rained (We rarely get rain here in the West Valley!) Kept the rain out when the windows were down about an inch or so.

#14 ·
Interesting.. WeatherTech is located in Burlington Ontario Canada.. and the price here is 139.95 a set... yet 119.95 in the US... ****, us Canadians continue to get ratped..

#15 ·
I have the ones over the chrome. They would look OK if they extended the complete chrome strip on the rear window, but they don't. I ordered a set of the Weather Tech last week. Called today to check order status and they are back ordered until the 26th of July. Two months :WTF:

#18 ·
I too ordered the WeatherTech visors in May and was told the are made in Germany and their minimum order quantity to the factory is 100 sets which they had just odered (first order for them) and would be delivered in 4 weeks. I then received an email stating July 1st and then another stating Aug 1st. As much as it ticks me off that they just took my money and keep pushing out the delivery, they are the only ones I know of that don't use 3M tape to stick on the window frame.
That said I sit patiently waiting for them.

#19 ·
I've had mine on order since April. The last email I got at the end of June talked about being made in Germany which made me wonder why they have "American Manufacturing done right" on their page. I was told end of July and the guy apologized for the wait. I just don't understand why every month they would say it would be in and then push it back. Why not just set a realistic date in the first place? Ah well, back to being patient too.

#20 ·
They meant "American manufacturing done right. Right here in Germany."

Support your local Zombie Lodge.

#23 ·
WeatherTech should start shipping tomorrow, maybe?

This from an email I received July 1:

"Thank you for ordering WeatherTech® Side Window Deflectors from MacNeil Automotive Products, Ltd. At this time, your Side Window Deflectors, 82563 , are temporarily backordered. Our delivery is due to arrive on 8/1/2012."

#30 ·
This from an email I received today 8/5/2012:

"Our shipment of Side Window Deflectors has been delayed due to conditions beyond our control, but we have been told that they should be arriving any day now. Once our shipment has arrived our warehouse staff will get them unpacked as quickly as possible."

#24 ·
They told me shipments begin this Friday...

#28 ·
Waiting for my shipment confirmation.......

I emailed my contact today to see if he had any update and have not received a reply.

I know, I am impatient, but its only been two and a half months :rolleyes:

#31 ·
Pictures please...

#32 ·
Yea be careful on the passengers side near the side mirror i have about a 1cm ripp in my weather strip from the sharp edge....Will water get in there is mt concern.... it is so small and it seems to close backup as long as i dont touch it

#33 ·
Do you recommend to file down the sharp edge?

#34 ·
Just got the shipment confirmation from WeatherTech.

#35 ·
Can someone please take a picture of it actually on their car with a decent camera rather than what WeatherTech has provided?

#36 ·
Arrived, although shipped to the wrong address. WeatherTech or myself switched the billing/shipping address. Anyway 15 minute install. Really simple. No cuts in the weather stripping. Nice low profile. Fits the shape of the car very well. Much better than the ones I had before that stick to the chrome and don't even completely extend fully on the rear doors.

These really look good with the tinted windows I had done. They are also tall enough to allow the window to be rolled down a couple inches and not be obvious.

Right now they are sitting fully closed for twelve hours as instructed in order to fully seat them. After that I will know if they function properly in regards to closing the window. The window and vent do share the same space in the window channel and there could be issues with the window bumping into the vent as it is closing. I experienced this immediately after install, especially the fronts. As the window closed and contacted the vent it met resistance and then automatically opened, just the same as a garage door does for safety reasons.

I will try later to get pics or even video. Just a little dark at the moment.

#38 · (Edited)
When I opened and closed the windows, using the auto up switch, first thing this morning both front windows ran into the vents and retracted immediately. Goosing them up a little bit at a time and they closed no problem. You will notice the contact noise when viewing the passenger side window being closed when goosing them, in the linked you tube video.

I had to do a little bit of driving this morning and later when I tried again there was only 1 issue. This is when I took the video. You will notice on the driver side window, it will happen the first time and you will see the window retract. After that I haven't had any issue. The back windows no issues at all.

There is noise each time the front windows make contact with the vents as you have noticed in the video. I don't know if this is because there was no adhesive strip included on the fronts. There is an adhesive strip on the back though.

You can see how well the vents follow the contour of the window shape and how low you can put them down without it showing. An advantage if you are parked somewhere away from home on a hot day.

On the exterior shots all windows are down to the edge of the vents. And there you can see how slim a profile they have, much much cleaner than the K5 ones I got from Korea. Should have thought to get video of those before I ripped them off.

Sorry about the interference in the video. Looks like I have a corrupt SD card or my camera is starting to crap out. Hopefully the video will help those considering a purchase of these vents.

Just so you aren't confused I was parked at a 7-11 when I did the interior shots and did the exteriors at home in the driveway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.