Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently opened my trunk and saw water spill out of the passenger side hinge cover. Hoping it was a fluke, I dried up the water and went about my day but just had the same thing happen yesterday after the rains from Elsa blew through North VA.

I'm at a loss for where water may be coming in that it's collecting in the hinge cover, and only on the passenger side. Anyone else ever experience this?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
No experience but does the rubber seal appear intact? (have the same shape throughout, especially right where the water collects). Unless the trunk has been banged out of place and otherwise has the original shape it should seal.

Now, how about the rear window seal? water could make it underneath and flow into truck/hinge cover maybe.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
I recently opened my trunk and saw water spill out of the passenger side hinge cover. Hoping it was a fluke, I dried up the water and went about my day but just had the same thing happen yesterday after the rains from Elsa blew through North VA.

I'm at a loss for where water may be coming in that it's collecting in the hinge cover, and only on the passenger side. Anyone else ever experience this?
There is like a foam type of spray you can purchase to spray around just on the inside of the weatherstripping to find out exactly where it is coming in. wipe the weatherstripping clean with alcohol also so you know it's not dirt or debris causing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The seal around the trunk does appear intact, though I've not done anything to try to test water flow around it with the trunk open yet.

Chauncey, if you've got a name for that foam so I know I'm looking at the right thing, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
Take some blue paper towels, easier to see water penetration better than white, and place them around the area in question and you'll be able to pinpoint the entrance point.
It may take a few tries, but one can also get into the trunk with a bright light, then have someone hit the area with water to see entrance area.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
178 Posts
The seal around the trunk does appear intact, though I've not done anything to try to test water flow around it with the trunk open yet.

Chauncey, if you've got a name for that foam so I know I'm looking at the right thing, I'd appreciate it.
This one looks like the one we had at a dealer long ago. Sprays on like a white powder/foam and changes color i believe when water runs down into it.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,194 Posts
The back catch channel for the water runs along the rear windshield, it seems like it would overflow if the rain is very heavy, or if you have some debris blocking the channel to allow the water to run out to the side and over the top of the side area above the tail lights.

Just to be sure, you would want to clean out the channel that runs along the edge of the rear windshield. I like to just open the trunk, and then flow water onto the back windshield, and when it goes into the channel, help push the debris along so it flows out with the water and gets the channel nice an clean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts