Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 EX with the full size factory navigation head unit and infinity sound system - These days the NaV and uvo system has become pretty obsolete and is very laggy. I’d like to upgrade it with something real nice that also has wireless apple car play.

What head units have people installed that they like and work well on this car ? Does anyone know what size head unit comes stock and what the biggest size can be installed without blocking the air vents or just not fitting correctly? My cars currently in the shop getting a motor replacement so I can’t measure and haven’t been able to find the measurements online - but I want to order one and have it here for when I get the car back. I’ve seen some real nice pioneer NEX units like the 8600NEX that’s 10” but I don’t think I’ll be able to get away with something that big? Even know it’s one of my favorite looking indash’s I’ve seen so far. I prefer the all screen look with no buttons and I’ve found there isn’t to many that offer that so that’s why I’ve liked that particular unit even know it’s over 1k. Yikes.

When installing it is it possible to retain the controls on the steering wheel as well as the factory backup camera and sound system ? What extra things will I need to order to make it all work? If possible I’d like to have the new indash sit flush instead of sitting back into the dash like the OEM one do , but not sure if that’s an option or not.

Just looking to talk to some people who have already done this and find out what works and what doesn’t. Feel free to post your upgraded indash’s - Any info and help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
26 Posts
There are double din kits that include a new dash panel. The pioneer unit will fit since it adheres to that standard. But it looks like you already may have an aftermarket unit?

I have factory nav on my car and am considering getting an aftermarket unit. Every double din kit I've seen has it set in real deep like your picture whereas the factory nav is flush. There are some aftermarket units that are Android based, even Tesla style ones that look pretty sweet that sit flush like you're looking for.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are double din kits that include a new dash panel. The pioneer unit will fit since it adheres to that standard. But it looks like you already may have an aftermarket unit?
Thanks for the comment - I’m 99% sure that’s the OEM kia indash that came stock with the car - it’s getting pretty sluggish I need to pick something out ASAP!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for the comment - I’m 99% sure that’s the OEM kia indash that came stock with the car - it’s getting pretty sluggish I need to pick something out ASAP!
Try posting a picture with it turned on. Factory nav wouldn't have a dedicated display for HVAC, since it's built into the screen. Maybe the UVO ones are different but I don't think that's a UVO unit in your car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try posting a picture with it turned on. Factory nav wouldn't have a dedicated display for HVAC, since it's built into the screen. Maybe the UVO ones are different but I don't think that's a UVO unit in your car.
It actually does have the UVO entertainment system on it. My HVAC controls are below and the readings for them pop up on the small slim screen right below the indash. I was hoping Kia had an update for it but no luck , on the 14 or maybe it’s 15s and up you can purchase a CD and update the head unit so it has factory apple car play , new maps etc. I’ve seen many people do it in the Kia groups im in.

There honestly isn’t a ton of options for 7” double dins with wireless car play that have decent reviews. The bigger 7”+ ones are nice , and I’ve seen a few people install those but they end up blocking the air vents and im not a fan of that.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I installed a kenwood in my car and needed to also install modules that would allow the steering wheel controls, Sirius, and factory back up camera to work. There is also modules for tire sensors, HVAC controls etc

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed a kenwood in my car and needed to also install modules that would allow the steering wheel controls, Sirius, and factory back up camera to work. There is also modules for tire sensors, HVAC controls etc
What model ? Any pictures of it ?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
322 Posts
I'm sure there is something that will work, maybe with a trim kit or a custom trim kit for sure.

the setup you have is a little different than mine (sxl) where air/heat controls display same as nav area.
13 SXL.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts