Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here lately I been trying to do alot of research. I live in tx, just recently bought a 2012 optima. I love it. I keep seeing all these trucks with lift kits and huge wheels. So I got to thinking, why cant you make a car sit higher off the ground. I notice that theirs very few types of car out their lifted.

Anyways, in my search. I have found little information on this subject. I would love it if someone can explain the subject a bit more in detail or point me in the right direction.

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
Tesla Model X P100D
28,678 Posts
Welcome to the Optima Forums @Kigo

Congrats on recently getting your 2012 Optima.

While I totally understand the concept, I have never come across anyone wanting to raise the vehicle.

We have tons of options available to lower the vehicle, but unfortunately, none to raise it at all.

Hope you find what you are looking for.

-David

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
It can be done, but I'd advise against the idea as just like when suspension is lowered, the geometry changes in the suspension components. The axles (CV) changes angles and can give vibration, alignment changes as does ride quality, but when lowered, there are parts that are available to correct the condition, but if higher, not certain that the parts will allow the correction needed to get the suspension in alignment and one needs to be cautious of the strut extended travel?

If you notice, with the trucks the body is raised, but the F/R axles remain in location although raised with the large diameter tires. The trucks only need to address the driveshafts and steering but these kits come with knuckles, cross-member, diff spacer, blocks, struts/spacers, etc.

If you want it higher take a look at larger diameter tires, but not certain as to high large a diameter would fit w/o hitting fender when turned.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I raised mine 1/2" by going to 50 series tires, see my sig below. There is more room but can't say how much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so let's hypothetically say that I still want to. What would be the thing I need to be aware of. As well as what I would have to change to ensure nothing breaks or goes wrong.

So what I want to do is raise it like 6 inches for flood clearence, as well as put bigger tires on. So I figured I would maybe have to do some body work for the tire clearence in the wheel wells. Also figured I would probably have to change axles as well as shocks and struts?

This is hypothetically speaking.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I would get a SUV or 4x4 something and not ruin your optima, IMHO
Turbonut said it best above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sadly, I dont have an SUV or a 4x4. Honestly, I was wanting to do something different with my optima. I just wanted to know from people with experience what options I had available.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
To each his/her own I suppose--I cannot fathom as to why one would prefer to "lift" a sedan rather than simply buying a compact/midsize 4-door SUV/CUV. And were you looking to raise it 6 inches on top of the existing clearance (i.e., overall total ground clearance >6")? Heck I don't think many compact/midsize SUVs come with that much ground clearance so I can't imagine what it would look/be like for a sedan to have such a large ground clearance.

I get that you don't own a SUV and I suppose one can't go back on the decision to buy a sedan vs. a SUV but you are right about one thing--lifting the Optima would definitely be doing something different compared to many of the other things folks do with/to their Optimas...LOL!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check with one of these forums where they install large wheels on FWD cars. It can be done and aligned properly too. There is a Honda here on 28" wheels. It can be done but you probably won't get much help here although there is one Optima on these boards riding on 26 inch wheels.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well let's say for sake of the discussion I dont have the money for that. Plus I want to do something unique and different to my kia.

Of course I will take every precaution I can when it's done to not mess the car up. I have heard that custom shops can do it. I'm just not familiar with them. If you guys could give me advice on doing it, I would be greatly appreciated.

Now I know some cars it can be done on. But I also know the initially it wont look right, thus custom body work needs to be done. As well as new rim's and tires as well as probably a custom body kit.

If I can figure out how to do this I will also post pictures of before and after.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL another "to each his own" when it comes to oversized wheels on compact sedans; 20" on the high end is one thing (I'm running 20s on my BMW 530i, however the 530i isn't considered a compact sedan so such large wheels don't look nearly as ridiculous on larger sedans), but 26" and even 28"? Just the weight alone on such humongously-sized wheels will eventually do a number on your wheel bearings, let alone adversely affect your fuel economy (even if only a small amount)...but hey as long as YOU like them, then I guess that's all that really matters in the end.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL @ the rubber band tires...probably has the tires inflated to 50 psi or higher--otherwise can't imagine what'll happen to the wheel (if not the tire also) if he hits a decent-sized pothole at speed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so, I found a leaf kit that's supposed to be compatible with my car. In addition to a leaf kit, do I also need to change out shocks, coils and struts as well?

The part I found is a D15XL-Old Men EMU leaf kit. I believe it adds 3". I also know spacers raise it by 3" max. Let me know if I am correct. Those that respond please treat this as a hypothetical project. ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts