Kia Optima Forums banner

.: Want to add Subs to 2012 Infinity w/o Naviation :.

897 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  R3Z 
#1 ·
Hello! This is my first post here!

I recently bought an Optima and it has the Infinity system w/o navigation.

I was going to go crazy with the system but decided on a more "modest" pair of 12 Solobarics. h t t p s://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-dual-12-loaded-subwoofer-black/5760910.p?skuId=5760910
had a few questions I was hoping would be answered here.

First of all that enclosure is rated at 1500 WATTS RMS (750x2) so I was wondering what amount of power I would need to fully push them. Also, will a higher watt amp blow the speakers or will the speakers blow amp if not high enough wattage?!

I wanted to ONLY add the subs in addition to the stock system/head unit etc. I figured I'd use a volume control knob to adjust bass levels. Will this work?

What adapters/additional (other than basic wiring kit) items do I need?

Finally, I would like to know on your guys best advice on HOW to wire it! I read a few threads that said tethering off of or disconnecting the factory 8" and running signal from there?!?!

ANY advice is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello! This is my first post here!

I recently bought an Optima and it has the Infinity system w/o navigation.

I was going to go crazy with the system but decided on a more "modest" pair of 12 Solobarics. h t t p s://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-dual-12-loaded-subwoofer-black/5760910.p?skuId=5760910
had a few questions I was hoping would be answered here.

First of all that enclosure is rated at 1500 WATTS RMS (750x2) so I was wondering what amount of power I would need to fully push them. Also, will a higher watt amp blow the speakers or will the speakers blow amp if not high enough wattage?!

I wanted to ONLY add the subs in addition to the stock system/head unit etc. I figured I'd use a volume control knob to adjust bass levels. Will this work?

What adapters/additional (other than basic wiring kit) items do I need?

Finally, I would like to know on your guys best advice on HOW to wire it! I read a few threads that said tethering off of or disconnecting the factory 8" and running signal from there?!?!

ANY advice is greatly appreciated and thank yo
BUMP Almost 70 views and no feedback?!
madding that much bass, even with the Harmon kardon speakers is gonna drown out your mids and lows. Keep the 8” factory hooked up to help round out your midrange frequency a little bit because honestly the HK speakers aren’t really like the HK speakers you would buy in a store, they just sound “good enough” for them to slap their logo on it. If you really want great sound that not gonna be overkill I would suggest a new head unit as well. Spend the extra dough on getting an idatalink maestro setup to retain the factory steering wheel controls (if applicable) and the factory amp. If you don’t wanna go that far into it,at least invest in an audio control LC2i and tap into the rear speakers. That way you get a full range signal that you can adjust/boost via the amplifiers low pass filter. As far as an amp, you just gotta shop around.distortion blows speakers, so a 2000w rms @2 ohm amp at the proper settings would do fine. If you ant to run that kind of power I would suggest alsoupgrading your big 3 (alternator, battery, wiring) as well. At the least a 220 amp or better alternator and a second battery with 0g wiring.

#5 ·
UPDATE

I have recently purchased a Kicker enclosure with 2 12” Solobaric L7 (750RMS EACH) 2-ohm DVC

Purchased a Kicker CX1800.1 Amp to power them. 3600 peak/1800RMS @ 2-ohm

Again, I am installing this into a 2012 Kia Optima with Infinity sound system (w/o navigation)

I am keeping stock head unit so I purchased an LC2i 2-Channel unit too.

My question is what wiring kit (or parts) would you recommend I use?

I keep reading that I need a 0-gauge kit for everything to work properly. That being said the enclosure has ONE single 2-ohm input and the subs already come wired inside the enclosure.

All I seem to have found (kit wise) includes extra things that I don’t think I need. That’s why I am here!

Wouldn’t I just need the wire from battery to amp, a ground, and the amp to speaker enclosure? I will be able to run w/o second battery too correct?!

That’s excluding the LC2i wiring course.

I am basically a total n00b when it comes to this stuff but wanted to research as much as possible before installing and wrecking the system.

I apologize in advance if I am not using the proper terminology/language and I can post pics/links of all the equipment if allowed or needed.

Any and all recommendations and advice are greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU in advance!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.