Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
oh wow.. id look at buying the large roll like i bought. Its 56" by 5 yards i think? it was like $450

·
Registered
872 Posts
oops yea sorry that didn't make sense lol I meant how much wrap do I need to wrap the entire car?
:blink: Really? Why? (BTW, I'm not being mean or sarcastic. Genuinely interested in why you want to wrap your entire car in vinyl.)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
:blink: Really? Why? (BTW, I'm not being mean or sarcastic. Genuinely interested in why you want to wrap your entire car in vinyl.)
It just looks good lol.. Have you seen it before?
I'm planning on making my car a variochrome pearl white. Also it protects against rock chips and debris flying around. Some may say why not just get a clear bra then if that's what I'm concerned about. One thing I find with the clear bra is that msot installers don't go all the way up on the hood so you can see the cut off line when looking closely. I want to change my look as well as preserve my paint.. all of my paint.. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
i met a guy around here that does full car wraps. He had this same wrap on a new audi r8 that looked pretty cool. He also does the full body chrome, and camo wrap and stuff. Some look dope some look cheesy in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yeah, it can go either way.
At C&C one time I saw a audi A4 that was full body white matte wrapped and from far away it looked nice but when you got up close they did a half ass job of wrapping it... Make sure you either get a good installer or you know what you are doing, lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey guys, this might be a newbie question, but I've never done wrapping before. I see automotive wraps on Ebay that say "does not stretch". That seems to negate one of the main things that helps form the wrapping to the part you are wrapping, no? Do they mean what they are stating? They seem to be "automotive grade" wraps, and not junk, but I'm concerned that "stretching" seems to be pretty integral to what you're trying to do.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What is this "vinyl"...Is it the adhesive "Contact" brand stuff made by 3M? Interesting seeing what others are doing to their cars.
I do this sort of work on classic cars but I am loathe to do this sort of thing on the Optima LOL!!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
i met a guy around here that does full car wraps. He had this same wrap on a new audi r8 that looked pretty cool. He also does the full body chrome, and camo wrap and stuff. Some look dope some look cheesy in my opinion.
Definitely, some people have real bad taste when it comes to appearence modifications. Without talking myself up, I believe that I have pretty good taste when it comes to mods on cars; especially on what to add and what to stay away from.

Yeah, it can go either way.
At C&C one time I saw a audi A4 that was full body white matte wrapped and from far away it looked nice but when you got up close they did a half ass job of wrapping it... Make sure you either get a good installer or you know what you are doing, lol
Word! lol I install my own decals, it's pretty much the same concept. I guess I can buy cheap stuff and practice and then do it myself. Then again, Nicole the Ohio Chapter Leader had her whole car wrapped in a grey it look really good on her car and she had some guy out by her do it. I may wait til the centralized meet and get it done out there. :)

Hey guys, this might be a newbie question, but I've never done wrapping before. I see automotive wraps on Ebay that say "does not stretch". That seems to negate one of the main things that helps form the wrapping to the part you are wrapping, no? Do they mean what they are stating? They seem to be "automotive grade" wraps, and not junk, but I'm concerned that "stretching" seems to be pretty integral to what you're trying to do.
From what I've read on vinyl wrapping, most installers prefer the stretchable wraps because if you're short on a piece you can stretch that vinyl to cover that spot you missed. I'm pretty sure you can tell from what I've said that the non-stretch you're limited to what it can cover. If you miss a spot well you miss a spot. That's my understanding.

What is this "vinyl"...Is it the adhesive "Contact" brand stuff made by 3M? Interesting seeing what others are doing to their cars.
I do this sort of work on classic cars but I am loathe to do this sort of thing on the Optima LOL!!
3M does make Vinyl. If you look at car decals those are vinyl.. so it's pretty much the same material with a paint-safe adhesive.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
the material i use is a carbon weave vinyl from Hexis. I like it much better than the 3m or di-noc brand.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
the material i use is a carbon weave vinyl from Hexis. I like it much better than the 3m or di-noc brand.
They have a sale on thier 6'' by what ever length you wanna buy. Any purchases made after this sunday wont be shipped until mid June (they are taking a vacation) FYI for anyone considering it! I'm getting another roll 6" X 120"

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
THanks for the write up... I'm surprised you didn't take the grill completely off... I've been wanting to do this for a while... I'm going to attempt this next week finally... Plus the Hexis material looks really good so i need to order some of that..

Thanks boss...

Edit.... Just ordered the Hexis Black Vinyl from ebay.. $18.99 for 1ft x5ft piece. 2 days only for those interested.. Thanks KORE

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ehhhh I don't know.

I want to see someone else do it first lol. In order to get rid of the thick chrome grill I was just going to order an SX grill from ebay. But if someone does their EX SWP grill in carbon and I like it I'll head that route.
Hey bro...I bought my 3M DI-Noc for my grill and it should be here on the 11th. Unfortunately I will be heading to NYC tomorrow until evening the 13th. I am hoping I can take a stab at this next Thursday. If all goes well I will post pics so you can see if it's for you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Be careful about STRETCHING vinyl...... I am in the business and it will always want to go back to its original shape over time. Deep wells also need a primer which 3m sells to increase the adhesive in those deep grooves. If you look at vehicle wraps on Savanahs and Sprinters, you will oftern find the vinyl starting to lift in those deep grooves and then eventually they start to crack and break apart. I suppose over time you could lay in a new layer

I will be curious to see how many of these wraps look in a few years. Will the vinyl hold on hard curves over the long term? Time will tell.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Be careful about STRETCHING vinyl...... I am in the business and it will always want to go back to its original shape over time. Deep wells also need a primer which 3m sells to increase the adhesive in those deep grooves. If you look at vehicle wraps on Savanahs and Sprinters, you will oftern find the vinyl starting to lift in those deep grooves and then eventually they start to crack and break apart. I suppose over time you could lay in a new layer

I will be curious to see how many of these wraps look in a few years. Will the vinyl hold on hard curves over the long term? Time will tell.
Does the primer harm the part that is being covered? Next to price, ease of removal is probably one of the biggest selling points for using vinyl.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

·
Registered
226 Posts
The primer is a clear liquid that you brush into tight areas to add more adhesive so that the vinyl does not slip back out over time. If anyone plans on wrapping their own car, it might be best to talk to a pro that does it and he would inform you of just what it takes to make it seamless

21 - 40 of 46 Posts