Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 Optma 2013 Kia Optima EX GDI
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, this is my first post. Just got the car 6 days ago.

I have the Nav system/Infinity premium package. The sound may be adequate for some people, but not for me. Sounds good for what it is, but I want to improve it just a little.

I am curious to hear how members here have upgraded their Infinity systems. I find the Highs somewhat tolerable, the mids too harsh, and the bass/midbass muddy, lacking oomph. I have in the past done my own sound systems in cars that weren't as nice as this, and they sounded better.

I was thinking speaker upgrades, all around, while using the same amp. Is this advisable? Also, may want to add a 10" dvc sub in sealed enclosure with separate amp. I will more than likely have all of this done at a quality shop near my area.

So, please let me know how YOU improved on the infinity sounds system.

Thanks,

pittviper

·
Registered
2014 Optima 2014 SX Turbo
90 Posts
wow! i literally just ask this same question in facebook! i agree with you. i find my sound system just lacking depth. i used to always use aftermarket in my older cars so im used to quality sound with better handling bass. was thinking about upgrading the speakers first. hope you get some replies here! very curious

·
01/2015 ROTM, 05/2015 ROTM
2013 Optima 2013 SXL
1,143 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
1,706 Posts
Meanwhile, you can try the following settings to help a bit while you are waiting for the install:

Bass -5, Mid +2, Treble -2

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so far. Was thinking about replacing all speakers, 8ncliding 8". I would like to stay with the factory amp due to replacement difficulty and integration into vehicle.

I was thinking of going to a good shop that I used before tomorrow, and asking their advice and a lot of questions.

Still, though, keep coming 2ith the ideas!

·
Registered
453 Posts
First off I'm going to say this, upgrading the Infinity system for sound quality is not easy. Not because its an amazing system, but because to actually get better quality out of it, its expensive and in depth.

The problem with the bass in this car is not the speakers. Its the tuning. The engineers for some idiotic reason have FIVE different speakers overlapping the same frequency range in the bass to midbass region. This is bad for multiple reasons. The door speakers should NOT be playing down to 50hz, but they are. Changing speakers wont help that. You would need to spend in the range of $300 a speaker before you could get speakers that can handle those kind of frequencies without distortion, and even then, the door itself would still distort the sound by flexing and rattling. Furthermore, singe the subwoofer seems to play from its low end roll off up until about 120hz, and the door speakers seem to play from about 50hz up to about 250hz, they are overlapping a significant portion of the bass frequencies. Unless time alignment and phase is perfect for this region (and it can ONLY be perfect in ONE seat), that means the sound is going be have problems with cancellation and artificial boosts. This can be seen in a frequency response graph by the HUGE boost at 80hz, which is caused by room modes. Making things worse, is the huge hole at 225hz, making that boost seem all that much bigger.

So how do we fix this? The ONLY way to fix this is to completely bypass the stock amplifier, using optical from the head unit, and use an aftermarket processor. Or, to use the rear door outputs as analog input to an aftermarket processor. No speaker swapping will solve the problems with tuning. Of course, if we could retune the stock processor, it could be fixed with just a retune, but you can't.

Obviously all of that is a lot of work, so one might ask, is it worth it? It depends. There is a guy whose girlfriend has a Lexus SUV with a premium BOSE system. I judged said system at a sound quality competition, and IIRC it scored around the high 60's. After that show, the guy took the signal from the head unit, ran it to a dedicated processor, bypassed the stock processor, and used the stock BOSE amplifier with his own tune. That car now scores a solid 80. For reference, that is a completely stock car with just tuning on stock amp and speakers that scores 5 points away from the top Modex and Extreme class cars, the latter of which can do absolutely anything to the car they want.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I
So how do we fix this? The ONLY way to fix this is to completely bypass the stock amplifier, using optical from the head unit, and use an aftermarket processor. Or, to use the rear door outputs as analog input to an aftermarket processor. No speaker swapping will solve the problems with tuning. Of course, if we could retune the stock processor, it could be fixed with just a retune, but you can't.

Obviously all of that is a lot of work, so one might ask, is it worth it? It depends. There is a guy whose girlfriend has a Lexus SUV with a premium BOSE system. I judged said system at a sound quality competition, and IIRC it scored around the high 60's. After that show, the guy took the signal from the head unit, ran it to a dedicated processor, bypassed the stock processor, and used the stock BOSE amplifier with his own tune. That car now scores a solid 80. For reference, that is a completely stock car with just tuning on stock amp and speakers that scores 5 points away from the top Modex and Extreme class cars, the latter of which can do absolutely anything to the car they want.
I really like this idea! So you are talking optical out to aftermarket dsp then to stock amp.
Would an eq need to be added as well?

Can you give me examples of the equipment I would need to entertain this solution. Obviously I would have a pro shop do this.

Like I said, I may go talk to them tomorrow, and discuss this solution. Better yet, see if they come up with the same solution by themselves! Before I offer any suggestions.

Please steer me in the direction of equipment.

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey, sorry for the lag. For some reason, I still can't post on my phone.

I copied this from another thread that I posted in.

You CAN NOT replace the factory amp while keeping the stock speakers with just an aftermarket amp. The factory amplifier performs all crossovers, time alignment, equalization, and amplification for 11 separate channels. Also, the head unit sends the signal to the factory amplifier in optical form.

To properly replace the factory amplifier with anything else in the infinity system, while keeping the stock speakers, you would need, at minimum, TWO Alpine H800 processors, and THREE 4 channel amps. This gives you one extra channel, but that is the best way to do it. That gives one channel per voice coil on the subwoofer, one channel per rear door speaker, one channel per front door speaker, one channel for the center speaker, and TWO channels for the front left and right midrange/tweeters. You would need to daisy chain the processors together. And they do HAVE to be that specific processor, as it is the only processor that does a proper center channel and proper rear fill.

Unfortunately, it's more expensive to make the factory system work than it is to invest in aftermarket gear. Two H800 processors needed to utilize all stock channels would run around $1600. And since the amp and processor are inseparable, its impossible to use it with an aftermarket processor. So you'd need 10 channels of amplification.

On the other hand, if you were willing to ditch the rear speakers, ditch the center, you could run a Mini-DSP C-DSP off of the rear channels, and use it to run the front door speakers, the front midrange and tweeters, and a subwoofer. The C-DSP costs $275. Then you could just use a 4 channel amp and a 5 channel amp with the smaller channels bridged, or something like a JL 7 channel amp. That gives you better sound than factory for around $1000.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far...

Here is what I have decided upon so far.

I am replacing all stock speakers, disconnecting the center, and scrapping the 8" free air sub.

The new speakers will be:

Fr doors and dash: kicker kss 6.5" components.
Rr doors: kicker ksc 6.5" coax
Sub: JL 12w3 2 ohm sec sub in a 10"s3aled box.

The old sub location will be converted to a port to the inside of the cabin.

Amp: kicker dx600.5 5 channel

For this setup, I only need 5 channels.

Line outconverter: audio control l7i with bass knob.

My total equip cost is around 1300.

If I am disappointed in the sound, I will then be thinking dsp and eq.

Et me know what you think.

---------- Post added at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Oh, just one simple question...What are the 11 channels? I count 10. Where am I missing one?

·
Registered
453 Posts
The stock system has 10 speakers, and 11 amplifier channels. They amplifier each coil of the dual voice coil subwoofer with separate amplifier channels. Probably from a cost perspective, cheaper to use 11 equally sized amplifier channels in one chassis and control levels with DSP.

One thing to keep in mind, the DSP will have EQ built in more powerful than any stand alone unit. My head unit from my last car had DSP built in. It had time alignment for each of the 8 channels, level adjustment, polarity, and 31 bands of eq per side.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts