Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got an email announcing Aug 25 '20 NAV Update and "How to" details via multi-tabs on page.
(Notice Tab) It wants a 32 GB SD (Fat32) card so note that.
Hopefully old data, but the instructions for Dnloading the Updater app wants IE 10/11, Chrome or Safari, and I don't have Any of those / I'm FF -- and Edge as rare bkup. .. Edit: (tonester used FF, Thanks)....

Look into this as desired. Wish I knew more but will add what others don't when time allows. Dnload is Free....

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
**** that update website sets my nerves on edge, and raises some red flags:
1) the site is insecure, so your browser warns you not to trust it.
2) the font is like it's designed by a retard, with lowercase letters standing at different heights, very distracting/amateur
3) you never specify your model year of car

Overall this smells like some kind of phishing scam.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No idea why it isn't an -- https:// site -- but it all looks legit to me with all tabs leading to relevant NAV data. Can't imagine scammers going to That much trouble on a fake site.
Consider that someone at MapnSoft made a faded-drab olive green as the module color on v14, and I'll believe anything about page Fonts.

A few had v14 Upgrade issues, so I'm more afraid of update glitches than scammers.

·
Registered
2018 KIA Optima
197 Posts
The 20' update for nav is like 35$ from offical kia site... and is well known for being real. Things to consider

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Well I bit and downloaded the Navigation Updater tool--which BTW the reason you are not initially asked to provide your car's model/year info prior to downloading the tool is because the tool works with multiple models/model years. In any case I installed the tool, logged in with my Kia account (it also gives you the option of logging in as Guest but if you already have a Kia account and registered your car info, the advantage of that is that you don't have to go through the trouble to look up which Navigation system model name or software version your car has), and downloaded the map software to my PC. Looks like the MAP version is newer--I currently have NAM.13.41.42.660.102.5 while the Kia Nav site says the latest MAP version for my 2018 Optima is NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5.

(Update--the downloaded MAP version I installed in my car a moment ago is indeed NAM.13.47.44.680.101.5 so it is worth downloading especially since it's free).

I wasn't prompted to pay anything so this means it's free to download, which kinda makes sense since you're not paying Kia for the cost of a SD card and shipping costs. The updater tool apparently will work for 2015+ Optima and Optima Hybrid, and for 2016+ Optima PHEV--apparently MapNSoft will be for models/model years not supported by the new Navigation Updater tool, and also probably for those folks who are not comfortable with performing the download process (i.e., folks who are not tech-savvy).

I don't think the tool and/or the site is fishy--I couldn't remember my Kia account password so I clicked on the Forgot Password link; the reset password email came from myuvo.com and the Reset Password link itself takes you to Kia Owners Portal which unlike update.kia.com, it has the secure https padlock.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Edited: All I see online is SDHC .... HC = Hi-capacity and is correctly Fat32 formatted -- HC began in 2006 so the statement I read that--- a device Must Support the HC standard --- is presumably a non-issue for any model year here.
Post if known. (Thanks for FF OK.)

EDIT: Email Sppt that they want (vs phone calls) confirmed HC is OK and their example SDHC jpg was a Sandisk Ultra Plus card I see on Best Buy site ($12.99). I went ahead and got a new card.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
In technical terms, the HC in SDHC is simply a designation applied to SD cards that are 4+ GB in capacity, which has been the case for pretty much any SD card manufactured since 2007(?)--I mean, when was the last time you saw a retail store offer 2 GB SD cards for sale--LOL! But as far as what card to use here, yeah for 2016+ Optimas you will need a 32 GB capacity SDHC card. Whether it absolutely needs to be a Class 10 SD card--who knows, but since the price difference between a 32 GB Class 10 and non-Class 10 SD card is relatively insignificant, might as well go with a Class 10 one. Just make sure you don't buy any of them realistic-looking knockoffs where the actual capacity is much smaller than advertised, all in the name of saving a few bucks.

I simply reused the OEM SD card that originally came with my vehicle--it is a 32 GB card.

COS-16SXL--I'm guessing that the OEM card that came with your 2016 is a 16 GB card, but I imagine MapNSoft must have made a whole bunch of nav software improvements since then such that it can no longer fit onto a 16 GB card. The downloaded map updates for my vehicle came out to ~22 GB.

As for whether the vehicle needs to stay in Park during the upgrade--I'm guessing it's because if you're driving you won't be able to view any functions that rely on the display--e.g, HVAC (although you can get around that by using the hard buttons), rear-view camera, radio/media info, etc. Put it this way--if you're one of those folks who absolutely depend on the display showing you useful info while driving, then performing the upgrade while driving is not what you want to do.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, tonester.... I just drove in the neighborhood thinking a "running" engine screams 4-letter words when left in Idle for so long.
I "thought" I saw 16 GB on the current card but it likely IS 32, so I will use it as you did......
And per Sppt email HC is on their sample SD card / & a "10" card is $12.99 at Best Buy so I may re-think getting a New One on the Murphy's Law chance older SD cards crash at age ??.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
The class 10 is a guarantee of how fast you can record data TO the card. The recording speed is critical for use when recording videos and knowing whether the card can handle the resolution and framerate you've chosen to capture your video.

The class rating is no guarantee of how fast you can read data FROM the card, but usually the card supports reading data from the card faster than the class speed rating. If you really want to know how fast, you'd have to read independent testing review sites.

But for the application here, reading maps from the card, it's probably not affected much at all by how fast you can read or write, so you can probably get away with a very slow cheap card. For example, if you used a class 2 card, maybe you'd see a pause when first loading the map, but once it's loaded, the map would update normally because not much data is being moved (unless you are flying at airline speeds and seeing lots of new scenery really fast). But also consider there are cards designed to offer better reliability and wear tolerance, particularly for recording dashcam footage.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For the rare Updaters, a few of whom may copy-paste the dnload Folder to the SD .... I only saw this in the FAQ section about Copying the Update Data to SD but phone Sppt and FAQ here have always mentioned -- opening the Dnload Folder -- and doing a "Select All (ctrl a), then Copy (ctrl c), and paste (ctrl v). IF someone copied-pasted the single Folder (in my case) -- 16_17_OPTIMA_JF_USA -- I don't know if the system would "See" the data inside. Too easy just per the "scattered" instructions - IF you find & read them all.

Ready to go with a new Sandisk SDHC Ultra Plus (10) UHS-1 card ($12.95 Best Buy) but I'll wait til Sppt is back at work Tuesday to do this ...... Oh, I searched & read too many Don't stories about long Idles, so I'll (slowly) drive again in the neighborhood as before. After an initial Press or two stopped I'm sure most of this is watching til the end Agree press.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
Yeah go inside the Download folder (or whatever name you gave the folder where the downloaded map update contents were saved to on your PC) then do a Select-all copy/paste of the folders within it (the contents/names may vary depending on which version is applicable to your MY vehicle but for mine there were four of them named Data, DAUDIOPLUS, Text.Info, vr, along with two files) to your SD card. I would not recommend copy/pasting the single folder where you saved your downloaded update to. In any case I simply used the Downloaded Update tool to copy the downloaded update from my PC to the SD card...took a helluva long time but it did copy the folder structure correctly since my NAV did read the updated nav info from the SD card without issue. Next time I'll try doing a direct copy/paste to see if that goes faster compared to using the tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Got an email announcing Aug 25 '20 NAV Update and "How to" details via multi-tabs on page.
(Notice Tab) It wants a 32 GB SD (Fat32) card so note that.
Hopefully old data, but the instructions for Dnloading the Updater app wants IE 10/11, Chrome or Safari, and I don't have Any of those / I'm FF -- and Edge as rare bkup. .. Edit: (tonester used FF, Thanks)....

Look into this as desired. Wish I knew more but will add what others don't when time allows. Dnload is Free....

Tks for the info. I downloaded the Program, then the update for my 2018 Optima - no issues. Computer Captain

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
3 Posts
I just downloaded, copied to 32GB SD card, and updated last night. It's all working in my 2015 Kia Optima with no issues. I was considering paying for the update finally, and was pleasantly surprised that it is free now. Apple CarPlay is a new feature for this model year Optima, so I am trying that out too.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima EX Prem
322 Posts
Wow first I’m happy this is free.

Second I love the updated layout and features. The surround logic is great! It adds the sounds of nature too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts