Kia Optima Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Good question...I live in Canada, so I must also consider shipping and custom fees.
1) It seems better to go with steal instead of aluminum...
2) It seems better to eliminate those with hinges...
3) It seems better to get a bar that fits directly on your car (no bolts to adjust to the width of your car)...
4) You must like the look (I prefer Ultra-Racing instead of Luxon)...
5) It must be shipped to your country :rolleyes:...
Very good points & that throws Shark Racing out cause I dont believe it is "one piece" & also made of aluminium, yuck. I like the looks of the Ultra Racing bar as well plus it matches my car... Also like the Nameless & it looks very very solid...

Let me know how u like the Ultra Racing bar & if u can tell a difference once installed!

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Does someone have some G values before and after to compare the mod (Is it the best way to quantify this)?

I'm not ready yet but I'm in the process of buying ODBII to Tablet to monitor the mods I do on the car. I hope to have the setup for Christmas...
1) ODBII male to female extension (to relocate the Bluetooth adapter).
2) ODBII to Bluetooth adapter with power switch (to avoid battery leakage).
3) Cup holder mount (the best place to locate the tablet).
4) Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (good product for the price).
5) Torque Pro with Kia plug-in (to evaluate)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
This is exactly the one I bought. Here is the link to my seller:
Ultra Racing Front Strut Stabiliser Bar Fit for Kia Optima K5 Theta Nu 2 0 2011 | eBay

Left Malaysia last Thursday, went to Singapor this week-end, now waiting in Alaska to enter Canada probably tomorrow...
Yep, that is the same seller that I bought mine from. He's really good with communication and I also know that the bar is a genuine product because it came with a serial number as well. You'll love it.

·
Registered
8 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have an Ultra Racing stb. Makes a big difference in steering and body roll. Not sure if its the same one you linked since the photo is now removed. Bought it from throwdown as well. Heres a peek at how it looks in the engine bay

Thanks for posting pics!

·
Registered
275 Posts
FYI - when importing directly from overseas, sometimes the invoices on the import taxes / tariffs will take a few months to get to you, but they will get there eventually. I speak from experience since we pay a lot of taxes importing these into the US.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Let us know when you receive it as I want to know what your brokerage fees were and if it fit properly? I also am looking at shipping and brokerage fees here in Canada.
I will let you know for sure.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
The waiting is almost over...Left to Memphis, TN last night and landed to Montreal early this morning. Import clearance needs to be released now. Shall come to my home tomorrow.

After work, I just bought a 1/2 inches Torque Wrench to install this thing. It seems that I need to put around 45 bl-ft to bolt this bar.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
My girlfriend received the bar today. The product looks good and seems to fit on the car.
1) Took me around 15 minutes to remove all the packaging around the bar.
2) Took me around 10 minutes to remove the serial number sticker with Goo Gone.
3) Took me around 10 minutes to relocate my diagnostic plug (took me 5 minutes to find the right tool in my basement!).

I will install the bar this week-end and test drive the car. If I'm happy with the results, I will consider to add lower braces if it improves the car.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
My girlfriend received the bar today. The product looks good and seems to fit on the car.
1) Took me around 15 minutes to remove all the packaging around the bar.
2) Took me around 10 minutes to remove the serial number sticker with Goo Gone.
3) Took me around 10 minutes to relocate my diagnostic plug (took me 5 minutes to find the right tool in my basement!).

I will install the bar this week-end and test drive the car. If I'm happy with the results, I will consider to add lower braces if it improves the car.

Sweet keep us updated!!! Would also like to see how and where u remounted the diagnostics plug!!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
Hello,
I installed my FSTB this morning. I had to go to the store to buy 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to use my new Torque Wrench with my boxes...I found a small street near my home to put the car on a level ground (Was not perfect, I hope there is no side effect to this).

Took me 15 minutes to get the job done. The fit seems to be perfect on my EX Turbo and I torqued the 4 bolts to 50 lb-ft. Just move the diagnostic plug before installing the brace (unscrew, straight out the latch with pliers, turn around 10 degrees counterclockwise and screw).

I took a small test drive on the road (with traffic and police around the corner). I feel less "slack" when I turn the steering wheel. The front seems to be more solid but it might the placebo effect...I will update this post this week when I go to work. There are two 90 degrees curve with bumps where I got scared from time to time (understeer with a lot of bouncing)...I got decent power (around 282 HP) but you must remember that the EX Turbo does not have the same suspension than the SX model (smaller sway bars, etc.).

Here's a link to the best article I found on this subject:
Stiff Stuff: Strut Bars and Braces | Tuner University

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima 2.0T
366 Posts
I'm happy with my Ultra-Racing FSTB. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any g numbers but I can feel the difference while cornering. On my way to work, I can take a 90 degree corner 20 km faster before getting the same scary feeling...Let's say it is a 15% to 20% improvement in that case :)

In addition, slalom seems to be better but I don't do much of that.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Upper front strut braces WORK great on these platforms. The unibody chassis is about the most pliable loose chassis design I've felt on a 275hp car. So no matter the brand, you WILL certainly feel the difference.

I would however say that the Ultra Racing like the one Throwdown sells is the recommended setup. It's a solid bar, no joints or bolted together pieces which basically decrease the performance of the bar. The more joints you have in the bar the less rigid it becomes. I paid <100 on a Ebay model with two bolted on mounting brackets. It works but I have to live with the regret of not buying a ONE piece unit like the Untra Racing one.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts