Kia Optima Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys this is my first tutorial, so be easy on me if its not that good.

So what this basically is, is retaining your factory USB and AUX ports when switching out your head unit with an aftermarket one. Depending on what aftermarket stereo you go with this might and might not work for you. Some stereos have the USB and AUX ports on the face plate. Some more expensive ones usually have multiple USB and AUX port on the rear. My setup is different from all of yours, but its the same concept. Also this works on both UVO and NON-UVO systems.

I am by no means a professional. Do this on your own risk.

--Things you'll need--

Right angle Male 3.5mm jack to Female RCA jack -some stereos dont need this. Check yours before you buy.
Right angle Male USB to Female USB -depending on your setup you might not need this.
Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB
***2T100 Module

***If you have a NON-UVO system you dont need the 2T100 module as yours already comes with it. If you have a UVO system you will need to buy the 2T100 module. I dont have a part number mine didn't have a part number when I bought mine. If someone can provide the part number that would be awesome.

This is what I got from eBay. It was from a salvaged Optima (may it RIP). You can search on eBay for "Kia optima usb" until I can find the part number for the module.

To Start you will need to get access to the Multimedia Jack. Just pull up on the shift boot, then pull right up on the shiftier surrounding (dont know the name of it.) It takes a little force.

Next you will need to release the MultiMedia jack. Simply push on the sides on both sides. This takes a little force.

You dont have to do this part. But I wanted to look the same as before. I opened it up to change the face. Simply pry on the little tabs and it will release.

Next you grab your adapters that I mention at the beginning and just plug them in.

Next plug everything back into the console and plug in your new cables to your stereo.

And done, thats it. Be sure to test before putting it back together.

-------------------------------
Extra steps. If you want your new MutilMedia jack to illuminate like factory. Simply populate Pin #8 on the Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB harness/connector. And tap into the illumination pin on your after market stereo harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-1-8-3-5mm-Right-Angle-Stereo-Male-to-Dual-RCA-Female-L-R-Adapter-YRA-167-/322037149957?hash=item4afae8f105:g:zEgAAOSwmmxW42V4

·
Registered
2013 Optima
10 Posts
Hey dude, thanks heaps for the detailed tutorial! It has given me hope where a LOT of people have flat out told me what I want to do cannot be done, mostly professionals at shops! I had to push a few and eventually they told me maybe if I spliced the cables, soldered them back together, yada yada yada... ANYWAYS! I have a few questions about what you did, and will explain what I want to achieve. Hopefully you or anyone else reading this can give me some input.

I own a 2013 Optima, it's got non-UVO. I recently bought and had this aftermarket head unit installed: Sony XAV-AX100. Here is what the back of the head unit looks like (from the back it looks like a single din, but from the front it is a double din). And here is the detailed schematic from the manual (scroll down to page 24 or download PDF).

There are three things I want to connect up to my stock Kia parts: USB port (most important), AUX (could live without), and microphone (meh!). The guy who installed the head unit also installed the Sony mic that came with the head unit. So now I have two mics (Kia stock and Sony). Obviously only the Sony one is working, but I'd like the stock Kia mic (located in the roof above the drivers seat) connected up instead. However I have read that this can cause the mic to have poor volume. So I might just forget about the stock Kia mic. Anyone heard anything similar about any low volume issue? Such as the mic not picking up voice? I think maybe it was on the XDA Forums I read about that.

The USB part looks pretty simple, I'm sure it can be done. But AUX I'm not 100% sure. Here's my questions. I'm sorry if these are super basic or obvious. It's been years since I've done anything like install a car stereo.

- First question, since I have non-UVO, do I need the multimedia module (rectangular part shown in your first photo - the part that contains the AUX jack and the USB port)? I am guessing I don't need it.
- Second, if my guess is correct, then all I need is the Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB adaptor and then plug the end with all the pins into the back of the multimedia module, and the USB end into my head unit's USB cable. And I -THINK- the AUX end would go into the front or rear plugs shown on the left side of the back of the head unit. BUT This means I would only get front or rear speakers playing from AUX, right?

·
Registered
2015 KIA Optima
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- First question, since I have non-UVO, do I need the multimedia module (rectangular part shown in your first photo - the part that contains the AUX jack and the USB port)? I am guessing I don't need it.
Correct you dont need it. But always double check.

- Second, if my guess is correct, then all I need is the Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB adaptor and then plug the end with all the pins into the back of the multimedia module, and the USB end into my head unit's USB cable. And I -THINK- the AUX end would go into the front or rear plugs shown on the left side of the back of the head unit. BUT This means I would only get front or rear speakers playing from AUX, right?
Correct you will need the Axxess Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB. BUT the only thing you will be able to retain is the USB, because that Sony stereo doesn't have any AUX inputs. The Rear RCA's are for amplifiers and 1 for backup camera.

·
Registered
2013 Optima
10 Posts
Hi again! I finally got around to working on my 2013 Optima's stereo electrics. I bought that Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB part (shown in your 8th photo), but I also had to order some tools, mostly a pry tool. So when I had everything I got down to it. Sad to say though, the Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB I bought did not work for me. I don't know why, but I suspect it is one of two possible things. I am using an aftermarket stereo that runs Android Auto. And my phone that connects to it is a USB Type-C device. Either the Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB is too old to handle USB Type-C, or having anything but a direction connection to the stereo is one too many USB extensions, and thus the data and power was not enough to give a stable connection.

So in the end I left out the
Axxess AX-HYKIAUSB and plugged my USB Type-C cable directly to my stereo. Then opened up the module with the stock Kia USB port. I took out the circuit board inside this. I cannot use AUX or the USB port now anyways. I then filed down the USB port a tiny bit so the small end of my USB Type-C cable could fit through it. I fed it through, put everything back in place, and now my car is a little tidier without the USB cable wrapping out under the **** glovebox and looking messy.

I didn't bother tinkering with the mic, as it's a lil out of my league.

Thanks for all your help! Let me know if you'd like me to post pics. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts