Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
First time posting here, I’ve searched all over the internet and can’t find any accounts of someone rebuilding their own turbo
I haven’t taken mine apart yet but I have very little boost and I can hear the turbo when I start the car for a few seconds it sounds dry, can hear the bearings, it’s a 2013 and has 260k km on it, I have found updated rebuild kits for the TD04HL-19 but not a stick replacement, I guess the updated kit has a turbine that follows 20 percent better
Has annoying rebuilt one?

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
348 Posts
Looked for any shops that do it? I've seen it done on a tv show, with proper equipment, not much to it. But the proper equipment part includes some expensive stuff to balance it at way high rpms. That appeared to make all the difference in getting it to run optimally again.

I'm sure it can be done, let us know what you find. Oh how many miles? Most don't make it past 100K, just depends on how they're used, not to mention Lady Luck.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
If you can hear the turbo spooling and no power, look for any leaks in the intake systems, loose clamps, intercooler leak. After my engine replacement, they left the clamp on the intake at the turbo loose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you can hear the turbo spooling and no power, look for any leaks in the intake systems, loose clamps, intercooler leak. After my engine replacement, they left the clamp on the intake at the turbo loose.
I only hear it spool when the engine is cold, and I do have a bit of boost then, it’s kinda funny if I hold it to the floor, it will accelerate and when I let off the fuel, it accelerated a bit harder for a split second. I haven’t hear any charges air leaks yet but still good advise! I should check for that,
I lent out my laptop with my obd2 scan program And my buddy lost my Bluetooth interface..... so I ordered a new one so I should have some actual boost pressure numbers soon... and engine light came on last time I was driving it so interested to see what code that was, no misfires and engine runs smooth....

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,398 Posts
no I mean I have some boost till the turbo gets hot, and that’s Common of a wore out turbo, I’m actually surprised it’s lasted this long
Really? Don't know why one believe a turbo's life would be shortlived, as I've got 197000 miles, not km, no problem, cousin 170,000 miles, no problem, 217,000 miles on another turbo car, no problems yet, and years ago another turbo with 160,000 no problems.
Post the boost pressures when they're available.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts