Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2013 optima with the turbo, about six months ago it lost boost and would not run right so we took it to Kia to see what the problem was and it turns out it was a turbo failure. Kia wanted 3,000$ to replace the turbo because it was out of warranty by two months, we said no and my dad and I replaced it ourselves, no problems the car ran great. After about a 1,000 miles or so we got a check engine code p2300 I think so the RPM will not go over 17 or 18 hundred. Took it to Kia, now they are saying the engine is bad because the turbo needed to be calibrated with the computer and excess boost could have caused the problem, does anyone know if the turbo needs to be calibrated and would that cause the engine to fail? I mean I know to much boost can damage to thing in an engine but not like I put my foot to floor every chance I get.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
No engine noise? If there was an overboost the cel should have been lit P0234, then also limp mode, so did they check for code? Correct code would help. Limp mode for engine knock sensor detection is P1326, while P2562 is wastegate adjustment and that will cause sluggish performance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I looked the code up it said this is a tech code that puts the car in limp mode to stop possible damage to the engine, the info I found on Google said it could be a number of issues: fuel psi, knock sensor and a few other things. I used my scan tool and that was the only code in the ecm, I didn't hear any engine noise but the engine also would not exceed 1,700 RPM. Kia didn't say they found any of the codes you posted, the only thing they said is they think the new turbo not being calibrated in the computer may have caused the damage.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,395 Posts
First a P2300 code is a problem with ignition coil?

I'm certainly not a guru when it comes to the system, but IMHO the waste-gate rod, even if were out of adjustment, on the high side, the ecu adjusts to correct that condition. I read one did adjust the rod to make more HP, and initially on the dyno only saw an increase of 5HP, and that isn't going to cause an engine problem, but the ecu will probably readjust during driving. That engine can handle an incredible amount of boost, as long as other systems are adjusted accordingly. he only way I could see any over-boost is a problem with the solenoid or the BOV, then a code.

How did they know it was an over-boost condition? I'd ask them as I would think they would need to prove an over boost caused the problem, but we don't know what the problem is, just a false code generated by the KSDS or an actual problem with the engine internals as there is no over-boost code.

If the cell and limp mode still ongoing, don't know if the code is hard coded, but did they clear the code, or did you disconnect the battery to clear the code if at all possible?

I would call Kia customer service and see what they say as I've found them to be more flexible then that of the dealership. No other Kia dealership in the area, but Kia dealerships (4) I've dealt with leave a lot to be desired, so good luck.

Just wanted to add, if it is truely and engine problem, while driving it could just freeze up, so be careful.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Optima
258 Posts
I would take it to a different dealer and get a 2nd opinion...maybe from one that doesn't know the history and will just assess it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts