Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Your K5 Optima Vendor
2019 Stinger GT1
28,965 Posts
Exactly, while it is very possible, it would make much more sense to simply sell the car, and buy the turbo model, and then build the turbo or upgrade to a larger one...

·
Registered
2013 Optima LX 2.4L // 2016 Optima SXL 2.0L Turbo
18 Posts
Was in your position a couple years back. Took a deep dive on the interwebs about this. Long story short some company was planing to make a bolt on kit years ago and the idea just vanished (i guess there wasn't much demand).

As everyone stated, it's possible but you'd have to really do it on your own with unspecific parts, no directions, then you'd have to tune your car. Not cost effective.
You're better off just getting a kia optima turbo.

I upgraded from a 2013 lx to a 2016 sxl. Definitely happier now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update on my project. I was able to find and purchase a turbo kit for my Optima Prime project....after 2 years and a few months of adding and waiting to get all of the necessary add ons. I'll be starting the install in 1-2 weeks myself. I've done 90% of the build thus far myself. I've been working on cars all of my life and have a wide variety of knowledge. I will be posting pics before, during and after of course.
My 1 question for the forum is. I'm thinking that I'll have to upgrade my plugs and wires from my 2.4L NA to at least 2.0 Turbo or possibly 2.7L Turbo? Any input is always greatly appreciated. I already know that it'll need tuned after. Just curious if I should do the plugs and wires during the install.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
428 Posts
Update on my project. I was able to find and purchase a turbo kit for my Optima Prime project....after 2 years and a few months of adding and waiting to get all of the necessary add ons. I'll be starting the install in 1-2 weeks myself. I've done 90% of the build thus far myself. I've been working on cars all of my life and have a wide variety of knowledge. I will be posting pics before, during and after of course.
My 1 question for the forum is. I'm thinking that I'll have to upgrade my plugs and wires from my 2.4L NA to at least 2.0 Turbo or possibly 2.7L Turbo? Any input is always greatly appreciated. I already know that it'll need tuned after. Just curious if I should do the plugs and wires during the install.
update your wide variety of knowledge that there are no spark plug wires on these vehicles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts