Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (new to me) 2018 SXL came with the basic auto dimming rerar view mirror. I am trying to upgrade it to one with homelink. My understanding was that it is plug and play, but I am having the following issues.

I purchased 2 mirrors trying to get this to work. One is a GNTX-1124. The other is a GNTX-536. Both are supposed to be from Kias. Both plug in just fine, but the homelink buttons do not work with the car off. Not only that but the buttons don't work unless the lights are on. So even if the car is running, the buttons don't work unless I turn the lights on. This seems really wrong. I have figured out what each wire is on the plug in the car, but would really like to know what the pin out on the mirror is. I can't find that info anywhere. I am thinking I may need to re-pin the connector in one or the other but I don't know what the pins on the mirror are for. There are 6 pins in the mirror connector I believe while the car plug only has 4 (Ignition, Ground, Reverse, Lights).

Hoping someone here has figured this out as the one thing I wanted in my new car was a built in garage door opener. I knew the car didn't have it when I bought it, but thought I read that it could be added easily. So far, that is not the case. Can't believe a $35k car doesn't already have that feature. I mean with all the other bells and whistles this thing has and I can't open my garage door....., but I digress.

TIA,
Keith

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
613 Posts

Above is what I see on my 2016 SXL Mirror - BUT - THIS is an Advent Co site; Implies you can enter Zip Code and possibly a nearby affiliated Dealer can assist with your issue..

This Thread on Homelink installs has a diagram on Post #28 but NOT , it appears, for the Full-blown Compass-HmLink mirror. One post-er says that 2016 Mirrors (me) were CHANGED in 2017 + (presumed true)...........

Reactions: daviworld

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I think the Kia P/N you're looking for is D5062ADU00:

Kia Homelink Rear View Mirror

According to Kiapartsnow.com it's supposed to fit in a 2018 Optima. Not sure if either of those part numbers you mentioned match up to the one I posted above but in any case the mirror in that link looks pretty much like the same one in my 2018 SXL. I can't speak as to what the model/part number is for pre-2018 Optima Homelink mirrors or if the design of those are different from the 2018+ Homelink ones.

Note--you will not find any information about the Homelink mirror in the Owner's Manual; only the regular day/night and ECM (Electrochromatic) rear view mirrors are referenced. The usage instructions for the Homelink mirror are contained in a small separate folded card that comes with the Homelink mirror.

Odd that your Homelink buttons don't work unless the vehicle lights are on, but perhaps you may need to confirm that you have the correct Homelink mirror (again, see above). That the Homelink buttons don't work when the vehicle is off is expected/normal behavior--mine is the same way. Think about it--if someone were to break into your parked-in-front-of-your-home vehicle that's equipped with an active Homelink, they could open your garage door...not sure you'd be ok with such a glaring loophole.

The product link COS-16SXL provided is for a Homelink mirror that, based on the product description appears to be a Universal Homelink mirror. Seriously you'd be better off going with the Kia-offered one which at this moment is going for a much lower price than the Advent one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the Kia P/N you're looking for is D5062ADU00:

Kia Homelink Rear View Mirror

According to Kiapartsnow.com it's supposed to fit in a 2018 Optima. Not sure if either of those part numbers you mentioned match up to the one I posted above but in any case the mirror in that link looks pretty much like the same one in my 2018 SXL. I can't speak as to what the model/part number is for pre-2018 Optima Homelink mirrors or if the design of those are different from the 2018+ Homelink ones.

Note--you will not find any information about the Homelink mirror in the Owner's Manual; only the regular day/night and ECM (Electrochromatic) rear view mirrors are referenced. The usage instructions for the Homelink mirror are contained in a small separate folded card that comes with the Homelink mirror.

Odd that your Homelink buttons don't work unless the vehicle lights are on, but perhaps you may need to confirm that you have the correct Homelink mirror (again, see above). That the Homelink buttons don't work when the vehicle is off is expected/normal behavior--mine is the same way. Think about it--if someone were to break into your parked-in-front-of-your-home vehicle that's equipped with an active Homelink, they could open your garage door...not sure you'd be ok with such a glaring loophole.

The product link COS-16SXL provided is for a Homelink mirror that, based on the product description appears to be a Universal Homelink mirror. Seriously you'd be better off going with the Kia-offered one which at this moment is going for a much lower price than the Advent one.
Yea, I am thinking that they changed the wiring sometime in 2017 or 18...although the link @tonester posted above says it works for 2016-19 so who knows. I have figured out what the pins in my harness do and there is no constant power. Everything is switched in some way. I found the following info attached on the kiopman site, but I don't think it applies to 2018's. So I am wondering if anyone has access to the kia tech pub site and could send me the wiring diagram for the regular dimming mirror and the homelink version. I can figure out where to go from there I believe. Alrernately, @tonester, is there a GNTX part number on the back of your mirror or do you know the pin out of your harness?

I was going to buy the mirror, but hated to when I could get one for $30 so will go down this path first before buying the "correct" one. Hopefully I can figure this out and help others in the process.

Thanks again for the help,

Keith

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
On the back of my Homelink mirror it says "Model: HFCHL4"; there is also an IC# 4112A-HFCHL4--based on that IC# you may want to take a look here:

Gentex Universal Garage Door Opener/Mirror

PDF of mirror schematics

Gentex is indeed the manufacturer of my Homelink mirror, as the instruction pamphlet that came with mine lists the manufacturer as Gentex; that, plus the Model # matches up showing Gentex as the manufacturer.

I should point out that the pin assignments shown in the PDF schematics I posted above are slightly different from those shown in the second attachment in your post #4, so maybe that's why your mirror isn't functioning 100% correctly? In any case you need to look at the back of your mirror(s) and see if the Model and/or IC #s match up to the ones I mentioned above.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I was finally able to get the mirror working. I think I figured out why the first one did not work. It was a model ZTVHL3 . The one that did work was an HFCHL4. From what I can gather, the HL3 means homelink version 3 while HL4 means homelink version 4. My opener is only a couple years old so apparently the newer openers require the electronics of the newer mirrors.

A far as the installation, the connector was the same, but I had to run a power wire to the mirror for the homelink portion as, from the factory, the car has a wire activated by the lights going to where the homelink power should be. I tried to get the light driven pin out of the vehicle connector to put the new power wire there, but I could not figure out how to get it out so I put the new power wire in the open slot below the normal location. That meant that I had to move the pin in the mirror connector from the normal location down one spot to match. It was not a big deal as I had already taken that connector apart to replace the mirror mounting arm with a stiffer one.

I used an old computer CD player audio wire I had as the pin fit the vehicle connector really well. I ran the other end to the ignition wire in the same connector for the power. The homelink portion will only work when the ignition is on, but that is OK as it is more of a security feature so someone can't break into the car and open the garage door. The car has to be on to operate the opener. I could run the wire to the lights in the overhead console if I wanted constant power and may still do that if it proves to be a hassle or trouble for some reason.

Anyway, at the end of the day, I have a homelink mirror with compass and auto dimming for about $45. Thanks for the feedback...it helped guide me in the right direction.

Keith

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I know the following is a moot point given that you finally got your mirror working, but what exactly do you mean when you say that your "opener is only a couple of years old"--are you talking about the garage door opener electronics for your garage door? Or is it that mirrors with HL4 hardware is backwards compatible with garage door openers that work on "older" HL3 electronics?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean the opener/remote combo that actually physically opens the door. I have one that is about 15 years old and one that is 2 years old. The ZTVHL3 mirror would recognize the remote of the older opener for programming, but not of the newer opener. So I could not program the ZTVHL3 to work with my newer opener, but it could be programmed to work with my older opener/remote. So it seems that there is a point that the older (HL3) mirrors will not work with newer openers or remotes. The HFCHL4 worked fine with my newer opener so it seems to be the most compatible. I have not tried to program the HFCHL4 mirror to control the older opener yet, but I don't think it will be a problem. I assume it is backwards compatible.

Hopefully that clears it up some. I was afraid it sounded confusing, but wasn't sure how to make it clearer at the time.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
That's what I figured you were referring to (the actual garage door opener remote); yeah I'm with you in thinking that the HL4 is probably backwards-compatible with older garage door openers but then again there are no guarantees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts