Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trunk is shut and will not open. Tried the button and emergency release. Any other way to get into the trunk?

·
Registered
2014 Optima LX
8 Posts
Possibly shake trunk lid up and down while pressing on the remote release button. i'd suggest to check the fuse on the trunk release line.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,293 Posts
You might have the situation described in this video, which also shows the fix when you don't have the keys. Your situation would probably be different where you still have access to your keys. Maybe your situation is from a malfunction in the alarm system, which disables the trunk.

However, you could try the manual approach shown at 4:15 in the video. The guy uses a screwdriver because he doesn't have the keys.

But in your case, if you have the keys, you can eject the physical key from the fob, insert it into the driver door lock, and then mechanically turn the key to lock, and then unlock, the car. That action should disable the alarm system, and allow the trunk to open normally.

So the trick is to try LOCKING and UNLOCKING the car manually using the mechanical key, not the electronic buttons. The manual locking and unlocking resets the alarm system, and restores power to the trunk mechanism. Once power is restored, you should be able to press the trunk unlock button to unlock the trunk normally.

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,165 Posts
I would think the emergency release should pop the trunk since it's mechanical (cable); it would be a dangerous situation to be in somehow one found themselves locked inside the trunk and it turned out that the trunk latch mechanism is secured/manipulated electronically. But then again, isn't it on later model year Optimas that it's not possible to access the trunk by lowering the rear seat backrests, thus rendering moot trying to use the emergency release to pop the trunk?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I pull the emergency release cable, which is behind the headrest, I hear it click. It also clicks when I use the remote. I can not put the seats down with out opening the trunk. Unless someone actually knows another way or what to take apart the trunk is going to remain locked. Kia F’ed this 1 up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I pull the emergency release cable, which is behind the headrest, I hear it click. It also clicks when I use the remote. I can not put the seats down with out opening the trunk. Unless someone actually knows another way or what to take apart the trunk is going to remain locked. Kia F’ed this 1 up.
Did you get your trunk open if so how I have the same problem?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Optima
562 Posts
Did you get your trunk open if so how I have the same problem?
Follow these instructions:

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 18 of 18 Posts