Kia Optima Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any luck with the bungee trunk mod. Watched some Youtube videos on this but the newer Optima is made different from what I can tell

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
Looks the Same and the Pole out from the Blue Collar unscrews to Lengthen the Spring for 2-Point attachment @ various trunk locations..
This is Qty 1 and Mine is still Good since 2017 (I got Qty 2 @ Dbl your cost but no problem).
Hard as heck Searching for this stuff; July 17 - Aug 6 Arrival Std Ship sounds like China source.
My link in Post #2 above showed Spain and Qty 2 Available
; Read fine print & proceed as desired....

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
LOL someone will have to explain as to why that Amazon link describes the item as "JessicaAlba Car Trunk Spring"...

Also--how/why is it that these types of springs apparently are being shipped from ovreseas?

In any case I may have to give in and go the spring route--I've been using a bungee cord all this time; unfortunately the bungee cords I've been using are of poor quality, as their elasticity has diminished quite a bit and on top of that, one of the hooks broke off if you can believe that!

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
Pepi, the ship-from-U.S. Site I used Only Offered Qty 2, so one is in the trunk until needed - probably in 10 years.
BTW, The Attach Point on the Right is to a Trunk Lid Brace that was attached by Unscrewing the Blue Collar end to the Correct Length -- It then moves BACK into the car when the Lid is Closed, so Tension is created to Lift the Lid when Lock released.
For anyone .... You JUST have to have 2 Attach points THAT the 2 Spring Ends can attach to (within its Max Spring Length) with One of them Moving Back when the Trunk Lid is closed.
SOME have had the Rubber Lining & Lid stick together impeding the Lift capability sometimes; I put Vinylex on the Rubber Seals and No Issue Since.

Reactions: Pepi

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
I presume that spring should work despite the fact that it says it won't fit an (2018) Optima?

Update--I went ahead and bought two, used a $5 off $25 eBay coupon to lessen the financial hit to my wallet a wee bit.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I presume that spring should work despite the fact that it says it won't fit an (2018) Optima?

Update--I went ahead and bought two, used a $5 off $25 eBay coupon to lessen the financial hit to my wallet a wee bit.
Same measurements that the others had. If it doesn't work I put them on my mower LOL

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts
Where do you take eBay Search lessons?

From the web site I saw it was in -- eBay Motors>Parts & Accessories>Car & Truck Parts>Exterior> Mouldings & Trim --- which has Nothing to do with what it is -- and I STILL couldn't find but 50 more pages in M&T to look thru.
Pepi, are you a psychic? HOW did you find a U.S. supplier AND in THAT Exterior / M&T Grouping?

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
Note--the vendor in Pepi's link reports they are out of the red-colored ones, in case anyone was thinking of ordering them; they do have black/gold/blue in stock though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Springs came today ... What a piece of cake to install and it works GREAT !!!

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Springs came today ... What a piece of cake to install and it works GREAT !!!
How about a quick short video for members to see it in action?? I’m sure it will benefits everyone that will be looking to do this mod!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick short video on my phone is 29 Meg :( I can tell you it will open the trunk ALL THE WAY quickly.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima SXL
596 Posts

Should work via Dropbox Share to All ......... X-out the Dropbox overlay to Sign-up and Clk Video Arrow ...
This Spring #1 of 2 in since Sep '17 ......

See Posts #2 & #7 & don't forget some Lubricant may be needed periodically on Trunk Lid Rubber Seals as they may ( over time) stick occasionally and impede Lift ..........

·
Registered
2018 Kia Optima
1,147 Posts
If either of you guys wouldn't mind posting a pic or two showing exactly where to install the springs, I'd appreciate it very much! I reckon I could probably figure out the correct mounting points and orientation but figured an install pic posted here would save me the trouble!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts