·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul X-Line 2.0 MPI
104 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
8 Posts
If leaving from the California take just enough gas to get to next state. Gas price drops 40 to 50 cents a gallon on other side of the state line. I've made the long trip only once but an annual trip to Yuma, AZ and I always fill up before heading back west.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
26 Posts
Maybe somewhat relevant to OP's question as I used to do WEEKLY road trip with my 2011 Optima SX so the newer models should be better.

Short answer: NO problem whatsoever, the vehicle was extremely reliable.

Long answer: The road trips were done every weekend for the entire 2019 calendar year, where I started from Nashville, TN to Cincinnati, OH for 270 miles on Friday night. Then Sunday morning, I'd drive from Cincinnati, OH straight to Atlanta, GA for 460 miles. Finally, on Monday early morning, I'd drive from Atlanta, GA back to Nashville, TN for another 250 miles. Thus, a total of nearly 1,000 miles every weekend, and my Optima at the beginning of 2019 already had 170,000 miles on its ODO. So Imagine a total of roughly more than 52,000 miles I put on it during 2019 for road trips alone without counting all the miles during my daily drive, the vehicle was a beast.

·
Registered
2012 Black SX Prem. & Tech.
2,197 Posts
Maybe somewhat relevant to OP's question as I used to do WEEKLY road trip with my 2011 Optima SX so the newer models should be better.

Short answer: NO problem whatsoever, the vehicle was extremely reliable.

Long answer: The road trips were done every weekend for the entire 2019 calendar year, where I started from Nashville, TN to Cincinnati, OH for 270 miles on Friday night. Then Sunday morning, I'd drive from Cincinnati, OH straight to Atlanta, GA for 460 miles. Finally, on Monday early morning, I'd drive from Atlanta, GA back to Nashville, TN for another 250 miles. Thus, a total of nearly 1,000 miles every weekend, and my Optima at the beginning of 2019 already had 170,000 miles on its ODO. So Imagine a total of roughly more than 52,000 miles I put on it during 2019 for road trips alone withouting counting all the miles during my daily drive, the vehicle was a beast.
Your backbone is the real beast here!

How did you deal with the seat and making sure your back didn't go crazy?

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
26 Posts
Your backbone is the real beast here!

How did you deal with the seat and making sure your back didn't go crazy?
Mine was an SX model with leather (not nappa) seats & lumbar support. I had the lumbar adjusted about half way out to help with my lower back. Other than that, nothing else added to the seats as I love the cool & heat features. I didn't have any problem with my back during that time, I guess I was lucky?

·
Registered
2011 Kia Optima
3,403 Posts
I know we're off subject at hand, but you're better than we are as those heated/cooled seats are like sitting on rocks!
Actually, they are the worst seats we've ever had in a vehicle.

My son in law drives 501 miles, 5 nights a week, and the seat in his truck is like sitting on
your living room sofa, that's the way they should be.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Given some of the newer ones have no spare tire or jack setup, and just a can of Fix-A-Flat and a compressor, I'd also have a good towing package in case a tire blows out at midnight and you cannot rotate the tire to find the nail or cut and fix it in the dark. Really is a dumb idea to not include it, and more so if you have a model that has no dealer option for one (Their hybrids EX models that were designed for long distance economy, but no spare! Really?

·
Registered
2016 Kia Optima
43 Posts
well i dont make long treks like others here, but have gone up and down the state with no trouble whatsoever. but awesome to see others logging so many miles without a hitch.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
When my '13 SXL belonged to a friend back in '16, I retired and we took a camping trip to Colo from central texas. Over a 4 week period we went from one state park to another fromTrinidad until we got to Steamboat Lake state park in northern Colo (near Clark). Round trip was about 2600 miles, zero issues.

The turbo made the engine feel like it was working effortlessly in the higher mountain elevations, even went thru I-70, easy peasy.

That vehicle was sold to me about 3 months ago by my buddy. Now has 188k, purrs like a kitten and burns no measurable oil over a 3K OCI. He never abused it (racing) and neither do I. Luck all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why I asked, is I am planning on a cross country trip, just as soon as my wife gets better. It might take awhile, due to three compression fractures in her spine, severe osteoporosis, Mac infection in her lungs, Afib and just general getting old. Things happen when you are in your 80's. She is having Kyphoplasty for her spine, then ablation surgery for her afib, then antibiotics for her Mac Infection.
Our Kia Optima is an 2019 LX. Is it comfortable on a long trip? Our Optima has 3000 miles on the odometer due to her not being able to get into it with her back pain, so it mainly sits in the garage. Getting up into our 2012 F250 PSD and up into our 2014 Jeep Wrangler is not a problem for her. Getting down into the Optima is a problem with severe back pain.
Both the Jeep and Pickup have running boards to help her get in.
I sure would not want any car trouble out in the middle of nowhere, for she needs a wheel chair to move around.
By the way, our Optima did not come with a spare tire, so I purchased one along with all the tools needed to change a tire.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
26 Posts
Not sure how comfortable an LX trim is, but I guess it has cloth seats? My SX with leather seats were comfortable enough for me, but one thing I forgot to mention was that the companions on the passenger seats were not. I got this same response from my girlfriends and some older adults in the family.

·
Registered
2013 Ebony SXL Turbo: Original Everything @ about 189K with Drag wheels.
350 Posts
...one thing I forgot to mention was that the companions on the passenger seats were not. I got this same response from my girlfriends and some older adults in the family.
Do you think it is because of the exceptionally Low seat Height? I've sat in that seat on a '13 SXL from central Texas to northern Colo, around the state and back, it is far too low. So I added the seat risers, little pricey for what they're made of but worth the investment. Makes the seat height 'normal', can't think what Kia was thinking...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you think it is because of the exceptionally Low seat Height? I've sat in that seat on a '13 SXL from central Texas to northern Colo, around the state and back, it is far too low. So I added the seat risers, little pricey for what they're made of but worth the investment. Makes the seat height 'normal', can't think what Kia was thinking...
That sounds like a good idea. I will check out the seat risers.

·
Registered
2011 KIA Optima
26 Posts
I think mainly because of the vibration. It super obvious when you drive alone and turn to look at the passenger seat next to you, you will see that it's vibrating/shaking.

·
Registered
2019 Kia Optima Lx
34 Posts
On the 2019 optima lx both front seats are height adjustable

1 - 19 of 19 Posts